Cards looking at Fassel as a consultatn.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ill take a good team that quits in the playoffs over a supposedly good team that quits from the get go.

In all fairness to Denny, his Vikings team quit on him from the get go the year after 41-0 so that playoff loss was just the beginning.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have no problem with Fassell as HC. My short list when Denny got the job was: 1. Coughlin, 2. Fassell. I believe the Giants hired Coughlin before the Cardinals could show any interest. Some on this board don't like Fassell, but the guy was successful in his first stint in AZ & knows the Bidwill family. I'm still impressed that he took that crappy Giants team to the Super Bowl. He wouldn't necessarily be my 1st choice, but he'd be a significant X's & O's improvement over the current regime. Green is a very good judge of talent, but he is a horrible game-day coach. You could get away with that in the NFL 10-15 yrs ago, but not anymore. Denny really needs to consider either college, NFL GM, or retirement. His weaknesses as an NFL coach have been exposed.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From PFT:

CARDS LOOKING AT FASSEL AS A CONSULTANT

A league source tells us that the Arizona Cardinals are looking at the possibility of bringing in former Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel as an offensive consultant.

Does PFT even have a league source. I'm starting to wonder if their "league source" is actually NFL message boards run by fans.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Say no to Fassel. This supposed offensive guru has only once led an offensive unit as head coach or coordinator to a ranking in the upper half of the league in scoring in ten years. No thanks, I'd rather have Jim Mora or Dick Vermeil in here as a consultant if we're hiring someone currently unemployed because at least they have experience turning around laughingstocks.

Of course I want none of the above coaching, only to plan our next coach and direction of the organization.

Reaction score
Thinking outside the box on this but he sent his Kid Mike to BC to play under Tom O'Brien. He is well respected in the College Coaching Ranks and year after year he coaches up a pretty average Boston College Team. Discipline would not be an issue with him being a Marine. You can compare him to Coughlin but he seems to be a little less extreme and head strong as TC.

I really don't see the Cardinals throwing big $$ again at a name HC and giving him full power to run the franchise. In years past they were basically forced to bring in a name HC to jolt the franchise and ticket sales that were lacking. Thats not a problem this franchsie will have next year. The ousting of the present regime will be the jolt and all games will be Sold out again.

O'brien might be the right guy at the right time to coach this team. He will not break the bank to acquire him and your getting basically the complete opposite of what we have now. Which is usually always the case when teams change HC.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i don't know anything about this o'brein guy. all i know is that jim fassel isn't the guy for the cardinals imo. i say let the season take it course and go from there. who knows green could acctually get this thing turned around. i don't think he will, but you never know