Cards met with DB Roderick Rogers- U of Wisconsin

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardinals | Team met with R. Rogers
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:06:13 -0700

KFFL has learned the Arizona Cardinals met with University of Wisconsin DB Roderick Rogers during a private meeting at Wisconsin's campus.

Our seventh round pick?? Or undrafted free agent signing.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
We're taking him at #5

That is as funny a post as I have read on this board, talk about LOL!!!. Way to go Ryan!!!

As for Rogers...tall, rangy FS, good speed, not a great hitter, but could provide value as a cover 2 safety on passing downs. Injured his knee in the Wisconsin bowl game. Looks like a late 2nd day pick or UCFA.

One has to wonder if they checked in with Rogers after another so-called "private" meeting with Joe Thomas!

Mitch

Reaction score
For us long time (St Louis days and prior) Cardinal fans, it certainly would bring back alot of similiar draft day memories

Right on, en fuego! How do you spell Pisarkiewicz???

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fits in with policy of only bringing in guys you want to know more about.

If we're serious about a possible CB steal in the 7th round or free agency, keep your eye on Usama Young of Kent State (4.3 something forty, considers himself to be a physical corner and is said to have good coverage skills).

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Right on, en fuego! How do you spell Pisarkiewicz???

oh goodness --

Steve Little?
John Lee?
Clyde Duncan?
Anthony Bell?
Kelly Stouffer? (who BTW -- never signed)

I remember an interview with George Boone about draft day -- and he told the story about how the tradition is that he always gets to the facility early on the morning of draft day to make a big crock pot of chili (I am not joking).

I can picture him and Bill Sr eating bowls of chili and picking players -- and it explains the results.

Mitch

Reaction score
oh goodness --

Steve Little?
John Lee?
Clyde Duncan?
Anthony Bell?
Kelly Stouffer? (who BTW -- never signed)

I remember an interview with George Boone about draft day -- and he told the story about how the tradition is that he always gets to the facility early on the morning of draft day to make a big crock pot of chili (I am not joking).

I can picture him and Bill Sr eating bowls of chili and picking players -- and it explains the results.

My favorite was...back in the days when the draft was hardly even covered and there was so little info on draft picks, I called Cardinals headquarters one year on the Monday afternoon following the draft, and announced myself as a reporter for the Boston Herald (total and utter B.S., of course), writing an article on the NFC East draft picks...I asked to speak with George Boone.

Much to my amazement...George Boone took the phone call and spent nearly an hour on the phone with me explaining the rationale for each draft pick...I remember Boone going on and on about the guard he took in the 3rd round from U of Washington...I am trying to remember his name...I think it was the same year he took PK John Lee...I'll go look it up...but anyway, I learned a lot of information about the picks and I was delirious. I questioned Boone on the wisdom of some of the picks...and while he got a little defensive, he was such a nice guy to talk to...he really was...and to think it was less than 24 hours after the draft and he was spending an hour with a so-called reporter from Boston, Pretty cool, huh?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My favorite was...back in the days when the draft was hardly even covered and there was so little info on draft picks, I called Cardinals headquarters one year on the Monday afternoon following the draft, and announced myself as a reporter for the Boston Herald (total and utter B.S., of course), writing an article on the NFC East draft picks...I asked to speak with George Boone.

Much to my amazement...George Boone took the phone call and spent nearly an hour on the phone with me explaining the rationale for each draft pick...I remember Boone going on and on about the guard he took in the 3rd round from U of Washington...I am trying to remember his name...I think it was the same year he took PK John Lee...I'll go look it up...but anyway, I learned a lot of information about the picks and I was delirious. I questioned Boone on the wisdom of some of the picks...and while he got a little defensive, he was such a nice guy to talk to...he really was...and to think it was less than 24 hours after the draft and he was spending an hour with a so-called reporter from Boston, Pretty cool, huh?
Nice move. You should call Graves now and pretend to be Whiz so we can get a preview of where we are headed in this years draft.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

That is an awsome story... What a great idea.

Is there another poster on this board that has brought so many quality posts to ASFN, with only their first 1200 posts...

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

When the only other calls you get are wrong numbers you will talk to anyone!

icon7.gif

I always figured Boone had pictures of someone buggering a statue.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Mitch- in 1989 the Cards took Mike Zandofsky G out U of Washington in the 4th round. Could that be him? Good story too.:)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is there another poster on this board that has brought so many quality posts to ASFN, with only their first 1200 posts...

My smiley faces and comments on how great Q is are a neccessity for this forum to thrive.

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch- in 1989 the Cards took Mike Zandofsky G out U of Washington in the 4th round. Could that be him? Good story too.:)

That's exactly who it was, BigRedArk...thanks!!!

Boy, Boone loved him...but...he really didn't make much of a splash.

I remember the days when the draft was not on TV and you had to call the Cardinals hotline for each pick (which for me was major long distance bill)...sometimes it would take twenty calls before they would update the tape...it was so frustrating.

Mitch

Reaction score

Thanks, Beerz. I always enjoy your posts.

I also contacted the Arizona Republic and talked with a young reporter who didn't know much about the Cardinals...and I asked him if he could send me the articles about the Cardinal draft picks (back in the days when you couldn't get them on the internet)...and he agreed to do so...and was quite prompt.

I wrote him a long thank you letter and when I called him the next year, he immediately remembered me and sent the articles again.

I think I got some of my con artist gumption in those days from watching the Rockford Files...I used to love the episodes when Jimmy posed as Jimmy Joe Taggart. So I became Mitch Brennan (my Mom's maiden name), sports reporter for the Boston Herald...in charge of the NFC East draft...ha, ha, ha.

In addition...for the first few years that Mel Kiper was doing his draft guide, I would call him at his Baltimore number and if and when I caught him at a good time, he'd talk for a half an hour and answer all my Cardinal draft questions. He was super...a great guy...loves his craft...and loves to talk prospects.

Several years ago Mel stopped writing his detailed team needs in his "blue book"...where he evaluated almost every returning player...to me it was the convincing reason to spend the $25...and when he stopped I called him to ask him why. He wasn't home, but he did call me back and explained that because of free agency it was moot to do such detailed team analyses...and I tried very hard to convince him otherwise...to no avail. He said he would do the team analyses after the draft in his supplemental publication which was another $20...a little rich for my budget having already spent $25 on the blue book. I actually stopped subscribing to Mel's blue book the next year out of frustration.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What's that old 70's song. Who's got the biggest........

Wow, what a story

Then wow, more.

How you made it this long without bringing them up is beyond me lol.

Now that's doing what you need to do to get the facts on your favorite team lol.

That's not the extra mile, that's an extra marathon. Great stuff.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
How times have changed. Today, with the internet, you can e-mail owners like Mark Cuban and they guy from the Washington Capitals( Ted Leonsis??) and they will answer you directly. I wonder if Bill Bidwill would answer e-mails. Does he even use e-mail? Actually, i wonder if Rod Graves would answer e-mails?

Stins

Rookie
Reaction score
In a search, I could only find one descriptive artile on Roderick Rogers.

" Roderick Rogers, Wisconsin... 6-1, 190, Sr... Very athletic FS with excellent range in coverage; isn't always that instinctive in coverage but can outrun some bad reads; last fall (2005) picked off 3 passes and broke up 8 others. Barely weighs in at 190 pounds and isn't all that physical defending the run."

I also read that he runs the 40 in 4.46 which woul be the 2nd fastest amoung the free safeties, counting that Micheal Griffen is a SS.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What's that old 70's song. Who's got the biggest........

Wow, what a story

Then wow, more.

How you made it this long without bringing them up is beyond me lol.

Now that's doing what you need to do to get the facts on your favorite team lol.

That's not the extra mile, that's an extra marathon. Great stuff.

Big Balls by AC/DC

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Not in my book.

Mitch, you are destined to be a first ballot ASFN hall of famer. Until then, you just keep posting.

:raccoon:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If we're serious about a possible CB steal in the 7th round or free agency, keep your eye on Usama Young of Kent State (4.3 something forty, considers himself to be a physical corner and is said to have good coverage skills).

Something has always puzzled me about NFL drafting. If a player is as good Young apparently may be, why would he fall to 7th or FA? I know about drafting for value, building for an 11 man roster on (offense and defense) etc. However, since there are so many busts in the NFL, why would a team hold back so long in selecting such a player. I understand the the kid played for Kent State but still. Sometimes I think NFL teams over evaluate players too much and put them into pigeon holes. I think QB Tom Brady of New England who was a 6th round selection may be an example. I haven't really looked at who New England selected before him and if they were better players. It's hard to believe there were 5 better players selected before him.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think QB Tom Brady of New England who was a 6th round selection may be an example. I haven't really looked at who New England selected before him and if they were better players. It's hard to believe there were 5 better players selected before him.
Something had to have made him drop. There weren't 5 "better" players selected before him, there were 198. Every team passed on him at least 5 times. If it makes you feel better we picked Thomas Jones, Raynoch Thompson, Darwin Walker, David Barrett, Mao Tosi, Jay Tant and Jabari Issa before Brady was selected.

Last edited: