Cards NFLE RB Robinson has over 100 yrds again!!

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Anderson and Shipp are looking more and more like history if this kid has that much potential.

People may write off NFLE, but we saw Antonio Smith have a great season in Europe last year and then carry that over to the Cards season when Pace was out.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Speed kills...

Robinson was the only RB to post a faster 40-time than JJ at the combine last year. I believe he ran a 4.37.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
While you do have to take NFLE performance(s) with a grain of salt, Roger "rabbit" Robinson looked pretty darned good today. He had good vision, made good cuts and showed a lot of speed. I always root for the guys who seem to play with a love of the game(which most NFLE players seem to have just by being there) so it would be nice if he continued to play well and makes the Card's roster.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure he'll be great to see make progress when the season starts, but what about the line blocking for him? Are those guys avaliable?

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
The NFLE means very little. A few years ago a Cardinals WR was MVP. He hardly even played when the season started. If I remember correctly he was out of the NFL in a year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Goodyear Card said:
The NFLE means very little. A few years ago a Cardinals WR was MVP. He hardly even played when the season started. If I remember correctly he was out of the NFL in a year.

I used to feel the same way until I saw that out of the 12 playoff teams there was an average of 5 players on each team that had experiance in the NFL. Almost 10% of their rosters were from NFLE.

Wether they were starters or valuable backups the NFLE didnt mean little to those teams.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think the landscape of the NFLE league has changed with the continued success of guys like Warner, Kitna, B. Johnson, Vinateri, D. Hall, Delhomme and more that I'm forgetting. It seems like it used to be a last chance league that guy's would go and give it one more shot before they were given up on. Now, there seem to be a lot of guy's who are excited about getting a chance to show what they can do. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a viable indicator of some players' potential. There aren't any guarantees, but if a guy stands out in NFLE there's a realistic shot he'll make it in the NFL.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Gaining 100 yards per week is better than gaining 50 yards per week.

Cards should have sent Arrington to NFLE to see what he had.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I used to feel the same way until I saw that out of the 12 playoff teams there was an average of 5 players on each team that had experience in the NFL. Almost 10% of their rosters were from NFLE.

Whether they were starters or valuable backups the NFLE didn't mean little to those teams.

I was just making a comparison to another player we had in NFLE who didn't make in the NFL. Teams often sign players to their roster at the end of year because they believe they might have potential for next year. Maybe you can name some of those 60 players from NFLE who contributed to their teams performance in the play-offs.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Goodyear Card said:
I was just making a comparison to another player we had in NFLE who didn't make in the NFL.

I get where you are coming from, and we should refrain from putting to much stock into it.

As for the players on just playoff teams alone. Some are starters, some are on practice squads or IR, but a lot of them are big contributers as special teamers, role players, or special teamers even if they arent starters they still contributed to their teams overall success.

Indianapolis Colts (4)
Kory Chapman RB Cologne 2005 Roster
Jose Cortez K Amsterdam 2000 Roster
Bryan Fletcher TE Berlin 2003-2004 Roster
Tom Arth QB Scotland 2004/Hamburg 2005 PS

Denver Broncos (13)
Charlie Adams WR Rhein 2003 Roster
Todd Devoe WR Cologne 2004 Roster
Nick Ferguson S Rhein 1999-2000 Roster
Cornell Green T Scotland 2000 Roster
Louis Green LB Amsterdam 2003 Roster
Ben Hamilton C Berlin 2002 Roster
Nate Jackson WR Rhein 2004 Roster
Matt Lepsis T Barcelona 1999 Roster
Josh Buhl LB Berlin 2005 PS
Corey Jackson DE Frankfurt 2004 PS
Brandon Miree FB Rhein 2005 PS
Patrice Majondo-Mwamba DT Rhein 2005 PS
Chris Young S Frankfurt 2003 IR

Jacksonville Jaguars (6)
Deke Cooper S Rhein 2001-2002 Roster
Tony Gilbert LB Rhein 2005 Roster
Quinn Gray QB Frankfurt 2003 Roster
Chris Hanson P Barcelona 2000 Roster
Paul Spicer DE Frankfurt 2001 Roster
Nate Hybl QB Scotland 2004 PS

Cincinnati Bengals (3)
Jon Kitna QB Barcelona 1997 Roster
Anthony Mitchell S Rhein 2000 Roster
Carl Powell DE Rhein 1999-2000 Roster

Pittsburgh Steelers (3)
James Harrison LB Rhein 2004 Roster
Sean Morey WR Barcelona 2000-01, 2003 Roster
Ulish Booker T Amsterdam 2005 PS

New England Patriots (1)
Adam Vinatieri K Amsterdam 1996 Roster

NFC

Seattle Seahawks (4)
Kelly Herndon CB Barcelona 2000 Roster
Tom Rouen P Ohio 1992 Roster
William Henry T Frankfurt 2005 PS
Joey Hollenbeck C Amsterdam 2004 IR
Mike Harden CB Berlin 2005 Roster

Chicago Bears (6)
Brendon Ayanbadejo LB Amsterdam 2002 Roster
Lennie Friedman G Barcelona 2000 Roster
John Gilmore TE Amsterdam 2002 Roster
Israel Idonije DE Berlin 2004 Roster
Anthony Oakley G Frankfurt 2005 PS
Marcus Reese LB Cologne 2004 IR

Carolina Panthers (3)
Jake Delhomme QB Amsterdam 1999/Frankfurt 2000 Roster
Dave Kadela T Berlin 2004 Roster
Jamal Robertson RB Rhein 2002 Roster

New York Giants (3)
Tim Hasselbeck QB Berlin 2002 Roster
Lewis Kelly G Frankfurt 2002 Roster
Michael Jennings WR Berlin 2005 PS

Washington Redskins (5)
Demetric Evans DE Cologne 2004 Roster
Cedric Killings DT Rhein 2004 Roster
Jim Jones G Rhein 2003 PS
Nick McNeil LB Hamburg 2005 PS
Brandon Noble DT Barcelona 1998-1999 IR

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5)
Blue Adams CB Rhein 2005 Roster
Matt Bryant K Frankfurt 2002 Roster
Kalvin Pearson S Frankfurt 2003 Roster
Edell Shepherd WR Scotland 2004 Roster
Claudius Osei S Hamburg 2005 PS

OP
OP
D

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
I saw a list of all time players that played in Europe and I don't remember where I saw it. I am sure one of you internet savoy guys will locate it. The bottom line is I was very surprised to see so many well known current NFL players on the list.

The truth is there is NO measure of how a player will perform in the NFL unless he gets in the NFL. Heisman winners have proven that point. Here is the bottom line. Robinson has almost twice the rushing yrds as the number 2 guy in NFLE. There has been only 2 games of a RB running for over 100 in a game, both were Robinson. He's putting up great numbers and the Cards have him signed for maybe 280K a year. Come on bro, don't bad mouth the kid.

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
Andy McCullough

"A few years ago a Cardinals WR was MVP. He hardly even played when the season started. If I remember correctly he was out of the NFL in a year."

I think Andy McCullough was the world bowl's most valuable player. Andy plays for the AFL's Colorado Crush.

seesred

Reaction score
Cramshaft that could happen with a guy drafted in the first round. The NFLE gives kids on the bubble a chance to show what they can do. I don't know how many kids come out of college football programs each year but a very high percentage don't even make it to a league like NFLE.You got to want it real bad to go over there for very little money and then come home and go directly to camp and go against guys that have been in the playbook for a few months.

GBR

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
The Ballad of Andy

Per NFLE

"During a 38-24 victory over the Barcelona Dragons in World Bowl '99, McCullough earned MVP honors with 6 catches for 151 yards and 3 touchdowns."

"McCullough was originally selected by New Orleans in the seventh round of the 1998 draft and has spent time on the practice squads in Arizona, Miami, Kansas City and Tennessee."

"In 1999, he caught 3 passes for 45 yards in three games for the Arizona Cardinals."

Roto wire 10/30/99 Cardinals: McCullough, once the team's third WR, is slipping down the depth chart. He was put on the inactive list Friday

McCullough was eventually cut after he dropped an easy and critical pass.

Green Bay gave Andy another chance in 2002 but nothing came of it.

The NFLE is definitely the reflux action of pro football process. Few players stream back to the NFL product line and many of the remaining stream into the AFL or CFL product line.

Andy's work did provide an NFL player record of 3 receptions for 45 yds in 1999 while playing for the Cardinals during regular season.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankfurt Galaxy rusher Roger Robinson has been named NFL Europe Offensive Player of the Week following his outstanding display while leading his team to victory over the Hamburg Sea Devils on Saturday night.

Robinson, allocated by the Arizona Cardinals, gained 150 yards on 23 carries (6.5-yard average) and scored on a 34-yard run during Frankfurt’s 31-14 win. The speedy halfback also added 3 receptions for 26 yards.

After two weeks of action, Robinson, nicknamed ‘Rabbit’, has a 99-yard lead over his nearest rival at the top of the NFLEL rushing charts having gained 253 yards on 49 carries (5.2-yard average). He also leads the league in combined yards from scrimmage with 279 (253 rushing, 26 receiving).

“It feels good to be leading the league in rushing right now, but it’s early,” said Robinson. “We’re only two games into it and we have eight to go. If I’m on top after Week 10, then I’ll feel real good.”

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And remember, Robinson was a great kick returner at NAU

seesred

Reaction score
I don't care what league your playing in that was a great performance. Keep in mind he didn't play much in the third quarter or was it the second quarter. Anyway he is certainly staring over there.

GBR

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Robinson had another good week running the ball. I wonder if he can return kicks? He'll have a much better shot making the team if he can significantly contribute on special teams too.

RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LG TD
R.Robinson 14 95 6.8 66 1

seesred

Reaction score
Those numbers from this past week aren't as good as they look. On the first play from scrimage he had a 66 yard pick up. The rest of the game 30 yards. Not impressive as the last two weeks by any stretch.

GBR

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those numbers from this past week aren't as good as they look.
A case can be made that the turning point of the game took place on the next series after his long TD run when Robinson had the opportunity to lower his shoulder and head due north to pick up a crucial 1st down, but instead elected to go horizontal, got nailed for a loss and the game went south after that.

Addendum - I like what I see in Robinson. I just wanted to point out that he's still developing and there are game-things that he can learn from. Not cutting up-field is a decision-making glitch that most new RB's are prone to. But the good ones learn not to do that and then they move on.

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Robinson had another good week running the ball. I wonder if he can return kicks? He'll have a much better shot making the team if he can significantly contribute on special teams too.

RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LG TD
R.Robinson 14 95 6.8 66 1
I was thinking the same thing. If he can return kicks, then I think he has a shot at making the team.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Roger Robinson replies

April 3,2006
NFL Europe

Frankfurt running back Roger Robinson leads NFL Europe with 348 yards. (waynepaulo.com)
Last week we invited NFL Europe fans to send in questions to be answered by Frankfurt Galaxy running back Roger Robinson. Arizona allocated player Robinson received a huge amount of mail, and he has picked some questions to answer, including enquiries about how he has adjusted to life in Europe, his pre-game rituals and his excitement at joining Edgerrin James on the Cardinals offense in 2006.

Robinson and Frankfurt are coming off a tough loss to the Admirals in Week Three, but he remains NFL Europe's top running back after his 95 yards in Amsterdam gave him a total of 348 on the season. In Week Four, Robinson and the Galaxy host Cologne in Frankfurt as they look to go .500.

Who on the offensive line has been the most helpful for your success so far?
Mike Bushnell, New York

I think the offensive line as a whole has done a great job. I think it would be unfair to single one guy out because the whole line as a group has done an excellent job. They're very physical, and they make my job much easier.

I am a big fan of yours and have followed your career at Utah State, Northern Arizona and now in NFL Europe. How does the NFL compare to (differ from) college football? How is life in Frankfurt?
Danny Royer, Logan, Utah USA

I think everyone is bigger and faster, and the game is faster as a whole. The defensive lineman and the linebackers are faster. I think defensive backs are more physical, but the change in speed hasn't been too hard to adjust to. Life in Frankfurt is definitely different. It's an experience, and it's a lot different than the United States, but I appreciate those differences and enjoy them. The people over here have been great so far.

Roger, how are you adjusting to Europe? How did it feel to come back with such a strong game after your first week heartbreak? Hope you have a great season and we will be praying for you.
Armando Nunez, Apple Valley, CA

Europe is a lot different from the United States. There are subtle differences and big differences, but it has been a great experience to see new things. I definitely miss home, but Europe is something that I appreciate. Thank you for the prayers, and I miss you guys.

Roger, what part of your game are you most looking to improve on while in Europe?
Steve Sinclair, Orlando, Florida

I just want to be a better all around player. I want to see improvements in my game every week. I think that it's important that I pass block well over here, and continue to make plays. I think that if I can continue to make plays for ten weeks, it will be good for me.

What similarities are there, if any, between Arizona and Frankfurt?
Adam Giles, Cincinnati, Ohio

There really aren't many similarities between Arizona and Frankfurt. They are very different. I think they both have parts that are obviously appealing. Frankfurt actually reminds me a lot of Flagstaff, where I went to school, because there are a lot of trees and it's really green over here. As far as Phoenix, there are no noticeable similarities.

What is your reaction to Edgerrin James coming to Arizona, are you excited about what you can learn from that kind of player?
Martin Fox, Louisville, Kentucky

I'm really excited to learn from him and meet him. He's obviously one of the best running backs in the NFL. I'm just going to take it as an opportunity to pick up as much as I can from him and hopefully get better from being around him.

Which of the national players would you like to take back to Arizona with you?
Wolfgang Raarter, Aachen, Germany

I think that Martin Latka (tight end) has done a great job. He's got a lot of potential. At times he shows a lot of potential, and at other times he shows that he's still learning. I think that potentially Martin Latka could be a great player.

Given that NFL Europe tends to be a passing league, how do you feel to have landed with a team that loves to run the ball like Frankfurt?
Reggie Bates, Franklin, Alabama

It is definitely a real blessing to be in the situation that I'm in. As far as being around the coaches, and running the schemes that we do, I got real lucky because the scheme is very similar to what I ran at NAU (Northern Arizona University). I'm really comfortable in it. That combined with the great coaching staff that we have as well as the offensive line; it has been a really great situation.

Frankfurt's offense is similar to the one Robinson was in at NAU. (waynepaulo.com)
Have you ever played any position apart from running back?
Sebastian Reiser, Frankfurt

No, I haven't. My freshman year in college they played around with me at the slot position, but I didn't like it very much because I've always felt that I've been a running back. That's where I have always wanted to play. I felt like if I had to play receiver I could, but my first love is definitely running back.

Did you grow up having a favorite NFL player? Who was it and what about them did you like?
R.P. Taylor, St Louis

When I was growing up I used to love Napoleon Kaufman. I loved the way he played the game, and I loved the way he approached the game. Every time he touched the ball it seemed like he was trying to make something big happen. I'm a real strong Christian and I learned a lot about the way he carried himself off the field. He's just all around a real impressive person, and I enjoyed watching him play.

Has your gameday routine changed playing in Europe, and are you one of those players with a pre-game superstition?
Ismail Mohamet, Juaben, Ghana

My routine hasn't changed. I really don't do much before the game. The night before I do my scripture and stuff. I read the Bible and pray before every game. I pray for focus and pray that God will allow me to perform to the best of my ability

Who came up with your nickname 'Rabbit' and how long have you had it?
Tony Buckstrong, Chattanooga, Tennesee

Coach (Whitey) Jordan (Galaxy offensive coordinator) gave it to me during training camp in Tampa (FL), and I've only had it for about two months.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
I'm glad he didn't get 100yds this past week. It would ahve put him in some dubious company... the only other back to post 3 straight 100+yd performances... Lawrence Phillips

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05