Cards notebook: Green impressed with Scobey

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Cards notebook: Green impressed with Scobey

By Darren Urban, Tribune

The Cardinals’ running back landscape behind starter Marcel Shipp will be interesting over the next few months.
Coach Dennis Green is high on speedy Josh Scobey, the 2002 sixth-round pick, and before the draft even said he expects Scobey to be the second-string back in 2005, after Emmitt Smith’s contract expires.

It’s notable Scobey received a lot of reps during the just-completed minicamp with the second unit. But Scobey said he “wouldn’t have any idea” what that meant, and Green made it clear Smith was the backup to Shipp.

“Josh will still be a factor on special teams,” Green said. “But I don’t think it will be too much longer before he’ll be able to get out and make plays.”

Scobey, who turned into a good kickoff return man last season, is staying open to whatever Green might ask him to do.

“I’d be a liar to say I wouldn’t want to start someday in this league,” Scobey said. “Whatever opportunities are presented to me, I want to take advantage.”

PICK SIX

As for Shipp, the new coaches did notice he had 258 touches last season (228 carries, 30 receptions) without a touchdown, but Green said that won’t be repeated.

“I’ll be a big mouth and say I think he will score at least seven times this year,” Green said. “I think he is a fabulous back.”

Shipp isn’t sure how to interpret his end zone-less 2003.

“You always feel you could have gotten in once or twice, but it didn’t happen,” Shipp said. “You have to work on it, and that’s on me.”

THE REPLACEMENTS

Center Pete Kendall said he was surprised when the Cardinals took not one but two centers — Alex Stepanovich and Nick Leckey — in the recent draft.

“But they expressed the philosophy of taking the highest-rated player on their board regardless of position. That’s their prerogative,” Kendall said. “If that means something for me, I am sure they will tell me, and if it doesn’t, well, quite frankly, they don’t have to tell me anything.”

EXTRA POINT

Cardinals veterans are now off until organized team activities (i.e. practice) resume June 1. Non-veterans will return for work May 17 for a couple of weeks of learning the playbook, in order to catch up with what the veterans know.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
“I’ll be a big mouth and say I think he will score at least seven times this year,” Green said. “I think he is a fabulous back.”

I agree with Green.

If Shipp starts scoring people will be jumping on the Marcel Shipp bandwagon left and right.

Peace
:thumbup:

SkkorpionChowder

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Green is high on everyone. He is putting Shipp in the hall of fame already. He is beginning to sound like he went to the McGinnis School Of Cheerleading.

If McCown sucks in pre season, will he have the balls to admit he made a mistake and not let him be the starter.

He needs to get his head screwed on straight and stop being Mister Nice Guy.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SkkorpionChowder said:
Green is high on everyone. He is putting Shipp in the hall of fame already. He is beginning to sound like he went to the McGinnis School Of Cheerleading.

If McCown sucks in pre season, will he have the balls to admit he made a mistake and not let him be the starter.

No he is NOT high on everyone. He cut Blake. He told Pace and Bryant to shape up. If McCown sucks in the regular season he will not be the QB game after game. He might get one more chance after that.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SkkorpionChowder said:

Sounds like you're a little high. :rolleyes: Green has been very open with his comments about the players and it has not been all good.
With the screen name of skkorpionchowder, me thinks we'll be seeing more post like this one. I could be wrong , but it's just my guess.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
IMO Grren is handleing this exactly right...

He is giving everyone a "sniff" of opertunity, and confedence. He is building high hopes in the players & getting them to forget about all the losing we've had.

He is pushing all the right buttons to get the underachievers, as well as the overachievers all equally motivated.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
No he is NOT high on everyone. He cut Blake. He told Pace and Bryant to shape up. If McCown sucks in the regular season he will not be the QB game after game. He might get one more chance after that.

Come on chowder, you going to take this?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
As for Shipp, the new coaches did notice he had 258 touches last season (228 carries, 30 receptions) without a touchdown, but Green said that won’t be repeated.

Shipp isn’t sure how to interpret his end zone-less 2003.

“You always feel you could have gotten in once or twice, but it didn’t happen,” Shipp said. “You have to work on it, and that’s on me.”
I remember that at least one of the 2 TD's Emmitt had, Shipp carried for the entire drive and then it was given to Emmitt near the goal line. That was a TD stolen from Shipp!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
az1965 said:
I remember that at least one of the 2 TD's Emmitt had, Shipp carried for the entire drive and then it was given to Emmitt near the goal line. That was a TD stolen from Shipp!

That's true :thumbup:

But there weren't a whole lot of opportunities last year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05