Cards notebook: McCown is over backward pass

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Darren Urban, Tribune

Josh McCown tried to feign amnesia.
But with the Cardinals headed to San Francisco Sunday, the quarterback couldn’t pretend to forget about his infamous backward pass to offensive tackle L.J. Shelton the last time he played the 49ers in what is now Monster Park.

Then again, the game also served as McCown’s big launching point. McCown threw two touchdown passes and no interceptions in the 50-14 loss. He has started every game since.

It’s hard to overlook the crazy play that happened first, though. Trapped in his own end zone with seemingly enough time to scramble or throw the ball away, McCown inexplicably threw a pass to Shelton, who was standing to the side and behind McCown. Because it was backward, it was treated as a fumble, and was scored a 49ers safety when running back Marcel Shipp fell on it.

“That was kind of the low of the low,” McCown said Wednesday. “After that, I shook it off and it was a big turning point for me. It was just like the bad dream waking up naked in front of your high school (in the) auditorium. Then it was over.”

McCown bounced back to complete 11-of-20 passes that day for 120 yards. He’s looking forward to adding even better history to his time in the Bay Area this weekend.

But he hasn’t lost his sense of humor about his worst moment, noting that Shelton is back in the lineup just in time.

“We are glad to have him out there as a sixth option,” McCown joked.

O-LINE CHANGE

In what came as no surprise, coach Dennis Green Wednesday officially named Jeremy Bridges the starting right guard and Shelton the starting right tackle, after both played well Sunday in relief of Cameron Spikes and Anthony Clement.

The Cardinals gained four yards in two series with Clement and Spikes Sunday, 369 yards in nine series with Bridges and Shelton.

“When you make a switch, it’s tough on anyone,” Green said, explaining his hesitation in shifting his offensive line starters. “You want to make sure when you do it. . . . I always give guys a chance to win their job, to hold their job. If things don’t work out, I’d rather be late (on a change) than early.”

Both Bridges and Shelton have played tackle their whole careers, but Green said guard was a more natural position for Bridges, who is smaller (305 pounds) than Shelton (335).

EXTRA POINTS

Safety Adrian Wilson was named NFC defensive player of the week after posting five tackles and running a fumble back for a touchdown in the Cards’ win over New Orleans. Wilson is finally living up to high expectations in his fourth season at a good time, because he will be an unrestricted free agent.

“The coaches we have now have stayed on me and they are really discipline-oriented,” Wilson said. “And I think I have matured a lot since I have been here.” . . .

The Cardinals officially activated defensive tackle Wendell Bryant Wednesday and released defensive tackle John Nix. . . .

Cornerback Duane Starks (shoulder) and running back Josh Scobey (knee) will both miss Sunday's San Francisco game. Defensive tackle Ross Kolodziej (ankle) worked some in practice and is listed as questionable.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=29286