Cap Casualty
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0723cards0723.html

Cards say they're trying but picks still unsigned
advertisement

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 23, 2004 12:00 AM

The Cardinals' seven draft picks remain unsigned, but not because of lack of effort by team management.

That's according to team management.

"It's not like we just started (negotiating)," said Rod Graves, vice president of football operations.

Agents are waiting for other deals to be made to establish the market, Graves said.

There should be considerable movement next week as the start of training camp approaches. The Cardinals report to Flagstaff on Aug. 1.

Graves is handling negotiations for receiver Larry Fitzgerald, the third overall pick, and he has talked several times to Fitzgerald's agent, Eugene Parker, with whom he is familiar.

Parker's agency represented defensive ends Andre Wadsworth and Simeon Rice, former top picks of the Cardinals.

Both had protracted contract negotiations and missed significant camp time their rookie years.

Parker, who rarely talks to the media, did not return phone calls.

Graves, however, isn't anticipating problems.

"I think there is a lot to be said for the experience he (Parker) has with our organization," Graves said, "so we are not trying to break new ground."

Fitzgerald and his father, Larry Sr., are close friends with Cardinals coach Dennis Green, but Graves doesn't expect that to affect negotiations.

"Eugene is not going to slap me on the back because I'm Rod Graves," Graves said, "and he's not going to put a little bit more effort into it because it's Larry Fitzgerald."

The Cardinals are accustomed to having high draft picks. Since 1996, they've had six top-10 picks. In the past few years, the team has been more willing to agree to contract devices, such as escalator clauses, which other teams have used for years.

Carl Poston, the agent for outside linebacker Karlos Dansby, did not return calls. Dansby will compete with Levar Fisher and Gerald Hayes for a starting job, but the third-round pick, defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, already is in the starting lineup.

Dockett's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said he has had preliminary discussions with John Idzik, the team's senior director of football operations.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CardNots said:
Please Fitz, hold out until after the Minnesota preseason game.

LOL so true. Now that I have the NFL ticket I realised that I am scared to death to watch that game. Dont they switch up where they play? Why always in Minnesota. And why when we play the dolphins is it in miami every time?

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
It's funny that Graves says he has experience dealing with Parker so he doeesn't think there will be a problem, but every experience we've had with Parker has been a nightmare. By August 10th if he is still holding out we should just give him what he wants and turn our attention to the first potentially good season we've had in the last decade...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Now I am starting to get pissed. Rod should have just keeped his mouth shut.

Oran said:
Agents are waiting for other deals to be made to establish the market, Graves said.

Um Rod, 5 of our 7 draft picks values have been set, I doubt it is the agents waiting at this point.

61 - Signed
62 - Signed
63 - signed
64 - Docketts value has been set.

98 - Signed
100 - Alex Steps Value has been set.
101 - Signed

165 - Signed
167 - Nick Leckeys value has been set.
168 - Signed

202 - Navarre value has been set.
203 - Signed
204 - signed

130 - Signed
135 - Smiths Value is almost set time to be a little proactive for a change.
138 - Signed

So according to Rods own statement we better see at least 4 of our 7 picks signed by the end of the day.

Oran said:
Dockett's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said he has had preliminary discussions with John Idzik, the team's senior director of football operations.

We have only had preliminary talks with a 3rd rounder when his value has already been set? Just plain stupid. :hulk:

There is my rant for the day.

AZCardFan

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that even if Fitz does not make it by day 1 of camp, the kid is a stud and will have no problem making a contribution when he does get to camp...guys this isn't our grandfathers Cardinals, there have been so many changes this year within the organization, lets just have faith that we will get these guys in camp...We still have a week left and it's good to see that there are atlest talks with the agents goin on...The sky is not falling!!!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
AZCardFan said:
and it's good to see that there are atlest talks with the agents goin on

Sorry but it isnt good to see, becuase it is expected of them to talk to the agents.

I am not going to give them props for doing something they should be doing anyways. It is about time to get proactive and go beyond what is expected.

Green said that if NE is working from 9-5 we should be working from 8-6. Well NE has 3 picks signed, so that means we should have 4.

I used to be on the kool aid side of this issue just 3 days ago but I am now on the darkside ever since Graves opened his mouth.

AZCardFan

Reaction score
Just relax buddy, there is plenty of time...I'll have a jug of kool-aid waitin for ya when everything is all said and done.
Ya know, how about this..how about we stop 'fearing the worse' and actually have faith in the team and support them...

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
AZCardFan said:
Just relax buddy, there is plenty of time...I'll have a jug of kool-aid waitin for ya when everything is all said and done.
Ya know, how about this..how about we stop 'fearing the worse' and actually have faith in the team and support them...

:newbie:

Hopefully you are right...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
AZCardFan said:
actually have faith in the team and support them...

Oh I have faith a lot of in in fact.

Faith that we will have a couple of hold outs.:thumbup:

I think I need a little more sugar in my kool-aid. This sugar free diet stuff sucks. :D

AZCardFan

Reaction score
We'll see, I just don't think we need to hit the 'panic button' yet, whether thats cuz I'm a 'newbie' or not.. ha ha

Jim O

Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
I heard the Vikings were switching to field turf. :shrug:

They already did. If anyone needs proof, they can see it during Twins highlights on Baseball Tonight. :thumbup:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
They already did. If anyone needs proof, they can see it during Twins highlights on Baseball Tonight. :thumbup:

A couple of years ago a guy from Texas tried to plant the Longhorn flag in the middle of Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, right on the "N". It didn't quite register that planting a flag in field turf might be a little difficult. Good times.

Texas won, those bastards...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Now I am starting to get pissed. Rod should have just keeped his mouth shut.

Um Rod, 5 of our 7 draft picks values have been set, I doubt it is the agents waiting at this point.

61 - Signed
62 - Signed
63 - signed
64 - Docketts value has been set.

98 - Signed
100 - Alex Steps Value has been set.
101 - Signed

165 - Signed
167 - Nick Leckeys value has been set.
168 - Signed

202 - Navarre value has been set.
203 - Signed
204 - signed

130 - Signed
135 - Smiths Value is almost set time to be a little proactive for a change.
138 - Signed

So according to Rods own statement we better see at least 4 of our 7 picks signed by the end of the day.

We have only had preliminary talks with a 3rd rounder when his value has already been set? Just plain stupid. :hulk:

There is my rant for the day.

i agree whole-heartedly. also, the fact that our front office seems to think we're in negotiations and a players agent thinks there have only be preliminary talks (and i know it may be semantics, but for the sake of drama, let me rant), shows a big possible disparity in the mindsets. scary.

seesred

Reaction score
West side story said it best.

Cool boy crazy boy keep cool boy real cool. The draft picks will sign all we end well and the team will take the field when it's time to play.

GBR

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Sorry but it isnt good to see, becuase it is expected of them to talk to the agents.

I am not going to give them props for doing something they should be doing anyways. It is about time to get proactive and go beyond what is expected.

Green said that if NE is working from 9-5 we should be working from 8-6. Well NE has 3 picks signed, so that means we should have 4.

I used to be on the kool aid side of this issue just 3 days ago but I am now on the darkside ever since Graves opened his mouth.

welcome joeschmo, welcome . . . eventually they all shall come . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
AZCardFan said:

b/c despite some baby steps in the past year, the weight of evidence favors "fearing the worse" with this club...

optimism is great, but how many times do you have to be slammed before you slow down and take a look at that wall you keep running into?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
A couple of years ago a guy from Texas tried to plant the Longhorn flag in the middle of Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, right on the "N". It didn't quite register that planting a flag in field turf might be a little difficult. Good times.

Texas won, those bastards...

At A&M a guy from SMU ran onto the field with a flag and a cadet drew his saber and charged him. Not even a Longhorn would be crazy enough to try that at Kyle Field.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
AZCardFan said:
We'll see, I just don't think we need to hit the 'panic button' yet, whether thats cuz I'm a 'newbie' or not.. ha ha

no worries about you being a newbie. this debate of optimism verses realism is raised with EVERY issue that comes to light with the cards. the only effect being a newbie has on you is that you're unaware of who is a koolaider and who is a darksider on the board. i'd make you a list of who is who, but i think i might offend some peeps, and, it seems, no one is a pure koolaider/darksider on every issue (though cheese and i come close).

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
no worries about you being a newbie. this debate of optimism verses realism is raised with EVERY issue that comes to light with the cards. the only effect being a newbie has on you is that you're unaware of who is a koolaider and who is a darksider on the board. i'd make you a list of who is who, but i think i might offend some peeps, and, it seems, no one is a pure koolaider/darksider on every issue (though cheese and i come close).

I'm a koolaider!

:raccoon:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05