OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
seesred said:
West side story said it best.

Cool boy crazy boy keep cool boy real cool. The draft picks will sign all we end well and the team will take the field when it's time to play.

GBR

And then, like in West Side Story, will someone get shot?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oran said:
And then, like in West Side Story, will someone get shot?

i think it was a stabbing . . . if only we had ray lewis . . . .

wtf are we doing discussing broadway shows on a football board?!?

pete

All Star
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Hard to argue with that.

Sure is. Green will soon realize what a bunch of slackers he is working with in the front office here.

Really, does it matter if the picks get signed before camp or not? McGinnis and Tobin made points on several occasions about getting picks signed before camp. Even in the years that picks were signed early, the team still sucked.

Getting the picks signed before the real season begins is what matters. That, and picking the right players to begin with.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tainted kool-aid

I used to be a kool-aider. On one occasion I argued with a Cowboy fan that Johnny Johnson and Timm Rosenbaugh were better than T.Aikman and E.Smith. Then a few years later, the Cowboys were dominant and the above Cards were afterethoughts. Due to the decline after the playoff win, I am a dark sider but can't give up watching the team.

Lenny_Biscuit

Rookie
Reaction score
I am not overly concerned about the signing status yet, but I was wondering why the NFL waits until the last minute to sign players. How long has it been since the draft? It seems that the few weeks before training camp would be very busy for other reasons.

Remember not to long ago when rookies rarely played right away? Now you have to have everyone on time because chances are a few of your draft picks will be starting day one.

This has been Lenny Biscuit’s obligatory post for Q3 of 2004.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lenny_Biscuit said:
I am not overly concerned about the signing status yet, but I was wondering why the NFL waits until the last minute to sign players. How long has it been since the draft? It seems that the few weeks before training camp would be very busy for other reasons.

Remember not to long ago when rookies rarely played right away? Now you have to have everyone on time because chances are a few of your draft picks will be starting day one.

This has been Lenny Biscuit’s obligatory post for Q3 of 2004.

It has been a strange year for late signings. We expected this to happen last year, not this year. Each year takes on new mouldings. The flat CAP and the Eli Manning-Phillip Rivers swap may have been the defining hangups this year.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I like it.

For all we know, there could be deals in place right now, just not announced yet. When you sign picks willy nilly, the information about structure can be used against us by the other agents. If a team signs all it's draft picks but their 1st and 2nd rounders, the guy negotiating for the 2nd rounder knows how much cap is left in the rookie pool. And so does the agent for the #1 pick.

Information = power in negotiations.

If all our picks signed today, or wait till the bus for Flagstaff starts rolling, it makes no difference.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I'm not sure which is worse, the idea that they are dragging their feet on the signings or the claim that they are "working on it" but with no results.

I am forced to take the position that anyone they sign before training camp is a bonus because I am tired of being upset over the constant failure to have everyone in camp on time.

Last season was better but still late, I would hate to see them take a step backward now and have lengthy holdouts again.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lex said:
If all our picks signed today, or wait till the bus for Flagstaff starts rolling, it makes no difference.

Well said!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Now I am starting to get pissed. Rod should have just keeped his mouth shut.

Um Rod, 5 of our 7 draft picks values have been set, I doubt it is the agents waiting at this point.

61 - Signed
62 - Signed
63 - signed
64 - Docketts value has been set.

98 - Signed
100 - Alex Steps Value has been set.
101 - Signed

165 - Signed
167 - Nick Leckeys value has been set.
168 - Signed

202 - Navarre value has been set.
203 - Signed
204 - signed

130 - Signed
135 - Smiths Value is almost set time to be a little proactive for a change.
138 - Signed

So according to Rods own statement we better see at least 4 of our 7 picks signed by the end of the day.

We have only had preliminary talks with a 3rd rounder when his value has already been set? Just plain stupid. :hulk:

There is my rant for the day.

Those are the lower draft picks so that means a hill of bunk.

It looks as though the bar has been raised higher than what the rookie pool went up. So as far as Im concerned it would be smart of them to start from the top and work down from there. If you start at the bottom and end up without enough money to sign your top picks you are in trouble.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Those are the lower draft picks so that means a hill of bunk.

It looks as though the bar has been raised higher than what the rookie pool went up. So as far as Im concerned it would be smart of them to start from the top and work down from there. If you start at the bottom and end up without enough money to sign your top picks you are in trouble.

:shrug:

Lower-round contracts are easy, though. Rookie-minimum salary, with five-figure signing bonuses, for the most part. Ironically, you have more wiggle-room with the higher pick, because teams can defer the rest of the SB money into the next season, or though the generally longer contract (most 3rd round and below contracts are for three years or less, while 1st rounders are signed for six years).

Teams don't want to put off all that money in the future, so it's better for them to know how much they're going to have to pay the #1 pick in his first season. That's why they generally do lower-round deals first.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I didn't like Graves' statement either. It seems he is starting the blame game.

"Agents are waiting for other deals to be made to establish the market, Graves said."

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
AZCardFan said:
Just relax buddy, there is plenty of time...I'll have a jug of kool-aid waitin for ya when everything is all said and done.
Ya know, how about this..how about we stop 'fearing the worse' and actually have faith in the team and support them...

Ok.

<crimson warrior moves the panic button closer so that it can be reached conveniently>