Cards Sign Veteran OL Liwienski, Add QB Boyd to Practice Squad

Jim O

Reaction score
Cards Sgin Veteran OL Liwienski, Add QB Boyd to Practice Squad
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, September 4, 2006

:newcards:

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced that the team has signed veteran guard Chris Liwienski, formerly of the Minnesota Vikings. To make room on the roster, safety Ernest Shazor (toe) was released with an injury settlement.

Liwienski (6-5, 325) comes to the Cardinals after appearing in 15 games (nine starts at left guard) last season for Minnesota. Originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Indiana in 1999, Liwienski has appeared in 94 regular season games with 74 starts during his NFL career. He had a streak of 75 consecutive starts (including postseason) broken last season at Green Bay when he was a game-day inactive. The eight-year veteran has played three different positions (right tackle, left guard, and right guard) during his career.

Liwienski was released by the Vikings in their final roster cut on September 2. He will wear #63.

In addition, the Cardinals have also signed quarterback Shane Boyd to the practice squad. Boyd (6-1, 232) spent the 2006 training camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers and was released in the team’s final cut on September 2.

Originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by Tennessee in 2005 out of Kentucky, Boyd was released prior to the 2005 regular season by the Titans and was out of football last year. He signed with Pittsburgh in February, 2006 and was allocated to NFL Europe with the Cologne Centurions where he completed 100 of 185 passes for 1,139 yards and five touchdowns.

- azcardinals.com -

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody get a cold towel for Mitch and pick Kerouac9 up off the floor.:D

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
I think the Cardinal front office read this websight!

I was thinking the same thing. Every player that people on this forum wanted the Cards to pick up in the last few days, they have.

:koolaid:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
I think the Cardinal front office read this websight!

I think the Cardinals front office should send the cheerleaders to my house.

:hoping:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Somebody get a cold towel for Mitch and pick Kerouac9 up off the floor.:D

:biglaugh:

They def had a battle going! McPherson didn't get cut so we'll never know if Kerouac9 could have come up on top????

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
YES! Yeah, boy! Wahoooo!

What a fabulous couple of days this has been...best final cut moves and pickups the Cards have ever made, IMO!

I really like this kid Boyd, as I have said...he's a splendid athlete and with some good coaching and a chance to learn from Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart, he could be a nice suprise...he certainly will put some pressure on the defense in practice running the scout team.

seesred

Reaction score
I guess Navarre will be history real soon. These moves the last two days is proof that we have an organization on the same page. Coach has a need, scouts give info, graves gets it done with support from MB. Now this is a plan and an unfinished product. Let's enjoy while we add and subtract into strenght.

GBR

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
Being removed from the day to day NFL across the pond, it really is a privilege to be able to dip into such informed debate among you guys.

I was chatting to a couple of mates at work about Navarre's general hopelessness and after reading Mitch's earlier post, saying there was a good QB prospect (Boyd) who'd be nice to have instead.

No original thought on my part, but I get to look like a genius thanks to you chaps

Thanks Mitch et al!

Centurion

Reaction score
Signing Shane Boyd

We saw Shane play in Cologne.
He is a physically strong player with a great ability to improvise

Greetings from the ever expanding COLOGNE CENTURIONS EMPIRE

Frank and Alexandra
Cologne, Germany

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Centurion said:

Frank and Alexandra
Cologne, Germany

Welcome to the board! Send brats and beer! You're buying!

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
And people say there is no Santa Claus, he just keeps on giving.

Centurion

Reaction score
Thanx for welcoming us,

send adress we send the beer.
And if Shane plays, get us two tickets.
We´ll come

pinnacle

Reaction score
So...can someone with more knowledge of college football fill me in....did boyd backup Jared Lorenzen at Kentucky? They both seem to have left college the same year...and it appears Boyd was used as a receiver, etc.. Usually a player like Boyd would be turned into an NFL receiver...as it appers he had limited experience at QB in college.. it is rare that a former position player is converted to a qb..it usually works the other way around...it appears Boyd was a backup qb in college....

Last edited:

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Centurion said:

Frank and Alexandra
Cologne, Germany

Oooh...the Centurions:

You must be registered for see images

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i like the liwienski pick up. i still like navarre better than boyd because navarre can step in right away if he has to. i am not saying navarre going to play like hall of famer or pro bowler. he is going to be able to step in and lead the with confidence.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Good moves all around. Shazor couldn't stay healthy. With 3 WRs on practice squad, Boyd makes sense, and may eventually be part of the picture if he develops.

Liewenski is a veteran backup or stopgap guard.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
vinnymac said:
i like the liwienski pick up. i still like navarre better than boyd because navarre can step in right away if he has to. i am not saying navarre going to play like hall of famer or pro bowler. he is going to be able to step in and lead the with confidence.
It isn't enough that any QB we carry on our active roster be able to "step in and lead with confidence."

He's got to be able to win.

Some on this board (me included) don't think Navarre can do this.

Thing of it is - Can Boyd step in right now behind KW and ML and win for us? If he can, then it would have made sense for him to immediately come in and replace Navarre.

But he didn't - we signed him to the PS. Which begs the question - Why?

Is he considered merely a high-potential development type (which means he'll remain on the PS for the entire year)? Or is it just that DG and the coaches are simply buying him some time to learn the offense and prove he belongs up there (which suggests we'd elevate him soon to replace Navarre)?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05