Cards Sign Veteran OL Liwienski, Add QB Boyd to Practice Squad

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
vinnymac said:
i like the liwienski pick up. i still like navarre better than boyd because navarre can step in right away if he has to. i am not saying navarre going to play like hall of famer or pro bowler. he is going to be able to step in and lead the with confidence.

:confused:

Navarre and confidence don't belong in the same sentence.... not even in the same book

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
It isn't enough that any QB we carry on our active roster be able to "step in and lead with confidence."

He's got to be able to win.

Some on this board (me included) don't think Navarre can do this.

Thing of it is - Can Boyd step in right now behind KW and ML and win for us? If he can, then it would have made sense for him to immediately come in and replace Navarre.

But he didn't - we signed him to the PS. Which begs the question - Why?

Is he considered merely a high-potential development type (which means he'll remain on the PS for the entire year)? Or is it just that DG and the coaches are simply buying him some time to learn the offense and prove he belongs up there (which suggests we'd elevate him soon to replace Navarre)?

It could be we want him to come in a learn the system , at least a little bit before we move him to the active roster. If we were to place on the active roster today and the unthinkable happened Sunday where Warner and Leinart went down we would be in a pickle. I for one agree with you that Navarre is a stiff and wouldn't be much better , but at least he would know the terminology of our system.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
just tell me why!!

Mitch said:
YES! Yeah, boy! Wahoooo!

What a fabulous couple of days this has been...best final cut moves and pickups the Cards have ever made, IMO!

I really like this kid Boyd, as I have said...he's a splendid athlete and with some good coaching and a chance to learn from Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart, he could be a nice suprise...he certainly will put some pressure on the defense in practice running the scout team.

forgive my ignorance...but those who comment have an equal amount of 'love" for boyd as the do contempt for navarre on the continuum? can someone please explain...the guy is a third string qb cut from the steelers who needed a back up before they signed st. pierre??? can someone explain why the love affair? i hope he never sees the light of day 'cause if he does we can all change the channel. i am neutral on the subject...just want to share some of the joy.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the Liwienski pick-up, but why all the excitement about Boyd. He is extremely raw & couldn't win the QB position at a $hit program like Kentucky. Nobody here in Steeler country seems to upset about not keeping the kid, even with Ben out a week or two. Having a rookie as our backup, I'd prefer a more experienced guy as our 3rd QB. Even a QB who's better years are behind him. Neither Navarre nor Boyd are worth a bucket of warm spit.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lobo said:
forgive my igorance...but those who comment have an equal amount of 'love" for boyd as the do contempt for navarre on the continuum? can someone please explain...the guy is a third string qb cut from the steelers who needed a back up before they signed st. pierre??? can someone explain why the love affair? i hope he never sees the light of day 'cause if he does we can all change the channel. i am neutral on the subject...just want to share some of the joy.

I really don't know anything about this guy, but apparently a couple of our posters do. I can say this much. Navarre has been here for 3 preseasons and has never looked any better than a stiff. If this kid can at least run around, that will make him better than Navarre. And yes I agree, if our 3rd string qb is forced to play ( no matter who it is), we can turn the channel and look forward to the 07 draft.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
I like the Liwienski pick-up, but why all the excitement about Boyd. He is extremely raw & couldn't win the QB position at a $hit program like Kentucky. Nobody here in Steeler country seems to upset about not keeping the kid, even with Ben out a week or two. Having a rookie as our backup, I'd prefer a more experienced guy as our 3rd QB. Even a QB who's better years are behind him. Neither Navarre nor Boyd are worth a bucket of warm spit.

while i was fixing my spelling errors you made a similar post...i just don't get it...but i want to get it...cower saw him for months and did not bring him back when ben went down...i ain't no genius but am smart enought to "question" it. i just hope he gets his checks and stays on the practice squad so everyone will be happy.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
lobo said:
while i was fixing my spelling errors you made a similar post...i just don't get it...but i want to get it...cower saw him for months and did not bring him back when ben went down...i ain't no genius but am smart enought to "question" it. i just hope he gets his checks and stays on the practice squad so everyone will be happy.

a) we saw him play 4 weeks ago.

b) he's gotta be better than Navarre.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If this kid can at least run around, that will make him better than Navarre. And yes I agree, if our 3rd string qb is forced to play ( no matter who it is), we can turn the channel and look forward to the 07 draft.

No we won't. The plan in that event is to go to the flex-bone with Edge and Boldin and Boyd.

Wakefield would be the fullback.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
It isn't enough that any QB we carry on our active roster be able to "step in and lead with confidence."

He's got to be able to win.

Some on this board (me included) don't think Navarre can do this.

Thing of it is - Can Boyd step in right now behind KW and ML and win for us? If he can, then it would have made sense for him to immediately come in and replace Navarre.

But he didn't - we signed him to the PS. Which begs the question - Why?

Is he considered merely a high-potential development type (which means he'll remain on the PS for the entire year)? Or is it just that DG and the coaches are simply buying him some time to learn the offense and prove he belongs up there (which suggests we'd elevate him soon to replace Navarre)?

i honestly believe that boyd was brought in just for an arm in practice. leinart isn't going to be throwing ball in practice with his tweak shoulder and navarre needs to get ready to back up warner. boyd is mobile like alex smith and boyd is perfect for this role for the scout team. it never hurts to see if a qb will surprise you. i havn't watch boyd play, so i can't really access if he any good or not. don't be surprise if boyd is release within the next month when leinart is a hundred percent.

pinnacle

Reaction score
Ernest Shazor reached an injury settlement with the team and was then released...per the Cardinals home page.

Shazor was practice squad eligible..I think..

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
pinnacle said:
Ernest Shavor reached an injury settlement with the team and was then released...per the Cardinals home page.

Shavor was practice squad eligible..I think..
Shazor

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Defintally like the players they picked up good moves by the Cardinals :)

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
vinnymac said:
i honestly believe that boyd was brought in just for an arm in practice. leinart isn't going to be throwing ball in practice with his tweak shoulder and navarre needs to get ready to back up warner. boyd is mobile like alex smith and boyd is perfect for this role for the scout team. it never hurts to see if a qb will surprise you. i havn't watch boyd play, so i can't really access if he any good or not. don't be surprise if boyd is release within the next month when leinart is a hundred percent.

I got the gist of your point but if you could please double check your spelling and punctuation before hitting "'SUBMIT" it would really make a better impression on those of us to whom proper English is still somewhat important.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Redmark said:
I got the gist of your point but if you could please double check your spelling and punctuation before hitting "'SUBMIT" it would really make a better impression on those of us to whom proper English is still somewhat important.

Not many folks on the internet who care about proper English. Just about anything is kewl these days.

gtg but i'll brb

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Not many folks on the internet who care about proper English. Just about anything is kewl these days.

gtg but i'll brb

I welcome all Card fans and vinny makes good points but his poor typing or English skills detract from his statements. It was only meant constructively and I apologize if I've offended anyone. I often notice mistakes in my own posts and try to edit them before they've genertated too much ridicule.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Redmark said:
I welcome all Card fans and vinny makes good points but his poor typing or English skills detract from his statements. It was only meant constructively and I apologize if I've offended anyone. I often notice mistakes in my own posts and try to edit them before they've genertated too much ridicule.

I wasn't getting on you about it really. More of a comment on how my kids type on the net.

yt?
yup
sup
nuttin
c u at skewl?
k

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:

I love the Lisnewski pickup as i think our depth on the OL is finally what i want and I am excited for Boyd strictly for Mitch. If he ever gets a start and wins us a game the entire board owes Mitch a beer.

Good for you bud and excellent evaluation!:thumbup:

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Carswell OT was cut by the Broncos, I would have rather had him than Liwenski

Boyd is a nice pick up- I agree with dumping Navarre

Big Red Line

Veteran
Reaction score
Redmark said:

To each his/her own, but I am strongly with you, Redmark. Proper English earns my respect and testifies to the discipline and training of the poster. IMHO, this is an important--but not sole--element in any assessment of the worth of the poster's comments. Most of what we read on these boards is opinion--blessed are the fact bringers--so part of the fun is to evaluate the merit of same.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My mom was an English teacher for about 15 years and I had proper english drilled into my head growing up. Vinny has been posting on here for a while and is often in the chats as well. He is always upfront about his his spelling and grammatical shortcomings. If one is honest about it I always cut them lots of slack. As long as someone can put together a coherent statement that is good enough for me. I try and overlook the grammatical and spelling mistakes. Plus I like to talk country sometimes for grins too. Being able to laugh and crack jokes is crucial to being a Cards fan.:D ;)

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
BigRedArk said:
My mom was an English teacher for about 15 years and I had proper english drilled into my head growing up. Vinny has been posting on here for a while and is often in the chats as well. He is always upfront about his his spelling and grammatical shortcomings. If one is honest about it I always cut them lots of slack. As long as someone can put together a coherent statement that is good enough for me. I try and overlook the grammatical and spellling mistakes. Plus I like to talk country sometimes for grins too. Being able to laugh and crack jokes is crucial to being a Cards fan.:D ;)

:lmao:

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BigRedArk said:
My mom was an English teacher for about 15 years and . Being able to laugh and crack jokes is crucial to being a Cards fan.:D ;)

disagree.....it is not crucial....it a requirement!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05