Cards top eight?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selecting #8 means the Cards have to have a top 8 list. Take into consideration of BPA and need along with comments here and there,this is what I think our draft board may look like at the moment.

1. Cadillac Williams
2. Ronnie Brown
3. Adam "Pacman" Jones
4. Antrell Rolle
5.Carlos Rodgers
6. Alex Smith
7. Aaron Rogers
8 Cedric Benson

This is not to say that these are the top 8 players in the draft. However, guys like Braylon Edwards, Erasmus James and Derrick Johnson just don't fit what we are looking for.

Anybody else have an idea of how our top 8 board looks at this moment?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I hope he doesn't pick a QB, I would have to be angry again after draft day :bang:

Keep in mind Big, that would only happen if their top 5 were all chosen. A scenario which isn't likely.

ClosetFan

Reaction score
I had a dream we traded for carson palmer and drafted Clarrett in the 4th.....

Thank god it was a dream, I would rather habe Adrian McPherson. Clarrett I dont mind, but not until rd 5 or 6.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Can you imagine what the Cards top 8 would look like if Dennis Green were not the coach. :eek:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
Selecting #8 means the Cards have to have a top 8 list. Take into consideration of BPA and need along with comments here and there,this is what I think our draft board may look like at the moment.

1. Cadillac Williams
2. Ronnie Brown
3. Adam "Pacman" Jones
4. Antrell Rolle
5.Carlos Rodgers
6. Alex Smith
7. Aaron Rogers
8 Cedric Benson

This is not to say that these are the top 8 players in the draft. However, guys like Braylon Edwards, Erasmus James and Derrick Johnson just don't fit what we are looking for.

Anybody else have an idea of how our top 8 board looks at this moment?

What's wrong with Derrick Johnson?...I thought some people on this site really liked the idea of drafting him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Can you imagine what the Cards top 8 would look like if Dennis Green were not the coach. :eek:

Not sure about the entire 8, but Andrew Walter would be in the top two...LOL

redbirdofwar

Reaction score
I hope our top 8 looks more like this;

1. Ronnie Brown
2. Cadilac Williams
3. Antrell Rolle
4. Carlos Rodgers
5. Cedrick Benson
6. Pac-Man Jones
7. Derrick Johnson
8. Shawn Merriman

Each of those players are able to start from day 1 and won't be wasting time on the bench

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
redbirdofwar said:
I hope our top 8 looks more like this;

1. Ronnie Brown
2. Cadilac Williams
3. Antrell Rolle
4. Carlos Rodgers
5. Cedrick Benson
6. Pac-Man Jones
7. Derrick Johnson
8. Shawn Merriman

Each of those players are able to start from day 1 and won't be wasting time on the bench

Good slotting. :thumbup:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Duckjake said:

*Best coach Mac twang* Well, some people might call him a bit of a reach, but this kid plays with HEART, and that's what we're all about here...one heartbeat! He comes to work with his lunchpail and he doesn't leave until the job is done. He ain't the guy with the most talent, but he busts his rear harder than anyone I know. Meet our new kicker...

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stout said:
*Best coach Mac twang* Well, some people might call him a bit of a reach, but this kid plays with HEART, and that's what we're all about here...one heartbeat! He comes to work with his lunchpail and he doesn't leave until the job is done. He ain't the guy with the most talent, but he busts his rear harder than anyone I know. Meet our new kicker...

:biglaugh:
Now, that's funny.

BOLDIN

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Dennis Green truly believes in the best player available theory, then I don't think that we will see either Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith in any sort of plans concerning the Cardinals, for their ability, I wouldnt place either in the top 15 of the draft. I was able to see Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith in person at U of A games, and was not impressed with either. Alex Smith was picked off twice by Antwann Cason (Avieon's cousin) and almost single-handedly caused a huge upset.

Here is what best player available draft would probably look like
1. Braylon Edwards
2. Cadillac Williams
3. Ronnie Brown
4. Derrick Johnson
5. Pacman Jones
6. Carlos Rodgers
7. Mike Williams
8. Cedrick Benson- *

*I think he maybe should even be higher on this list. I dont understand how a guy can go from projected 1st or 2nd overall to maybe as late as mid first round. The guys ability is all that matters, you cant compare his behavior to Ricky just because he went to the same school as him.
That would be like comparing all Miami players to Ray Lewis because of his problems.

I mean lets be real, Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams both are in the top notch of the draft, and Mike Williams may have gone 7th overall before Roy Williams, and last years draft class may be the best for years to come with Manning, Roethlisberger, Fitz, Williams, Taylor, Winslow, Hall, Dunta, Vilma, Evans, Dj williams, Losman, Jackson, K. Jones, Dansby, D. Thomas, J. Jones, Boulware, Colbert, and Dockett all in the same draft class and all making immediate impacts. Every player except maybe the QBs have a chance of making the pro bowl next year.

Anyways i am getting sort of sidetracked, just wanted to give my input cause i dont like the list that was first posted

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
masterphomeg said:
Not sure about the entire 8, but Andrew Walter would be in the top two...LOL

In my "No Dennis Green" Mock I have the Cards taking him with their 2nd round selection. :D

ThunderCard

Reaction score
So we are picking top 8 by BPA. Why Derrick Johnson is not #1 on every board is a sham .... I just don't buy into the whole theory of not taking a LB #1 overall. If he has the most talent why not ???

1 Derrick Johnson
2 Mike Williams
3 Ronnie Brown
4 Carnell Williams
5 Carlos Rogers
6 Antrel Rolle
7 Cedric Benson
8 Adam Jones

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Stout said:
:biglaugh:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My Board (based on Best Player/not Cardinal need):

1. Edwards
2. Mike Williams
3. Brown
4. PacMan Jones
5. Cadillac Williams
6. Rolle
7. A. Smith
8. Ware OLB (Time to pass up conventional wisdom and trust our eyes)

My Board adding weight to Cardinals' needs

1. Rolle
2. Brown
3. Cadillac Williams
4. Rogers
5. PacMan Jones
6. A. Smith
7. Ware OLB
8. Clayton

Ware represents my "out of left field" gut-call. (I think sometimes you have to do that). I've just got a feeling about this guy. (I also have a similar feeling about Babineaux - a very small DT with terrific quicks and other measurables whom I could see New England drafting as a 275-280 lb MLB with their #32).

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stout said:

Hilarious. God I am so glad Mac and his staff are gone.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ThunderCard said:
So we are picking top 8 by BPA. Why Derrick Johnson is not #1 on every board is a sham .... I just don't buy into the whole theory of not taking a LB #1 overall. If he has the most talent why not ???

1 Derrick Johnson
2 Mike Williams
3 Ronnie Brown
4 Carnell Williams
5 Carlos Rogers
6 Antrel Rolle
7 Cedric Benson
8 Adam Jones

There is a fine line when considering BPA and need. Lets say on a scale from 1 to 10 you have Derrick Johnson rated at 9.7. Second you have Ronnie Brown with a 9.6 rating. If both were available at #8 who would you select considering our needs?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a fine line when considering BPA and need. Lets say on a scale from 1 to 10 you have Derrick Johnson rated at 9.7. Second you have Ronnie Brown with a 9.6 rating. If both were available at #8 who would you select considering our needs?
I'm pretty sure I heard Dennis address that situation; indicating that need might be considered when a bunch of players were all rated close to one another. (I'm not sure how the Cardinals rate players, but I suspect their ratings tend to range from 10 to 100 rather than 1 - 10). So you if you had a dozen or so players all rated between 91.5 - 92.0, that might be considered close enough to use need as a tie-breaker.

Of course, at what point does a "slightly better" rating" morph into a "tie?" That's probably when severity-of-need, judgment, gut-feelings, draft room debates etc. come into play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BOLDIN said:
If Dennis Green truly believes in the best player available theory, then I don't think that we will see either Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith in any sort of plans concerning the Cardinals, for their ability, I wouldnt place either in the top 15 of the draft. I was able to see Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith in person at U of A games, and was not impressed with either. Alex Smith was picked off twice by Antwann Cason (Avieon's cousin) and almost single-handedly caused a huge upset.

Wow you have high standards, and a fuzzy memory. Cal beat UA 38-0 this year, Rodgers 20-27 235 yards (75% completion) 3 Td's 2 picks(both by Cason by the way). That was when McArthur and Makonnen(but not Lyman) were still healthy and Cal had experienced WR's. It was 28-0 at the half when Cal called off the dogs, and Cal had the 2 INT's in the first half or the game would have been even worse, they had over 300 yards at the half.

UTah beat them 23-6, Smith was 12-22 for 170 yards and no td's. So the 2 picks you saw were from Rodgers not Smith, and they were in a game UA lost
38-0 and would have lost much worse if Cal hadn't eased up. Not exactly a near "huge upset."

Rodgers did throw 2 picks so I'll give you that but he'd already put 21 points on the board by the first one and 28 by the 2nd one so they weren't particularly harmful, and he only threw 8 all year.

BOLDIN

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
UTah beat them 23-6, Smith was 12-22 for 170 yards and no td's. So the 2 picks you saw were from Rodgers not Smith, and they were in a game UA lost
38-0 and would have lost much worse if Cal hadn't eased up. Not exactly a near "huge upset."

Rodgers did throw 2 picks so I'll give you that but he'd already put 21 points on the board by the first one and 28 by the 2nd one so they weren't particularly harmful, and he only threw 8 all year.[/QUOTE]

your right i must have been mistaken. I do remember Alex Smith and i do remember not being pleased with his play. I think i was thinkng fo the wisconsin game for one of them