Carlos Quentin to the Cardinals?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Bob Young was the GM he would think of trading Carlos to St. Louis. All I can say is thankfully he is not the GM.

The Diamondbacks need to keep their young guys and if the offseason sign some proven pitchers.

Here is the article:
Not too soon for a trade

Bob Young
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 7, 2006 12:00 AM

Maybe a week into April seems a bit early to begin talking about Diamondbacks trades, but nothing gets folks buzzing like making a deal.

Just look at what that blockbuster for Katie Couric has done for CBS.

Besides, the Diamondbacks opened this can of corn when they decided to move 18-year-old phenom Justin Upton from shortstop to center field when he returns from a shoulder injury and begins play at Class A South Bend.

These things always have a domino effect, and it looks to us like the one teetering at the end of the line could be Triple-A outfielder Carlos Quentin.

The guy has put up impressive numbers at each minor league level since the Diamondbacks used their first-round pick to take him out of Stanford in 2003.

He missed that first season to have so-called "Tommy John" surgery on his elbow, but hit .332 with 21 home runs and 89 RBIs while splitting time between Lancaster and Double-A El Paso in 2004.

Quentin followed that up by hitting .301 in Triple-A Tucson last season, while putting up identical home run and RBI numbers - 21 and 89 - to those he had in 2004.

He's also supposed to be a terrific defensive outfielder.

So where's he at now?

Back in Tucson.

While moving Upton to the outfield freed up a potential logjam at shortstop, where 2004 top pick Stephen Drew also plays, it created another one in the outfield.

The key component in the Javier Vazquez trade to the White Sox, remember, was outfielder Chris Young.

He's said to be a special defensive center fielder, and he figures to be ready for the major leagues by next season.

Meanwhile, Luis Gonzalez and Shawn Green are at the corner outfield positions now, with Green under contract through 2007.

Another Diamondbacks prospect, strong-armed outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, was ranked as the 32nd-best prospect by Baseball America - with Quentin No. 20 and Young No. 23.

Assuming Young is the team's center fielder of the near future and that Upton continues to grow and fill out, thus making him better suited to a corner position, then either Quentin or Carlos Gonzalez won't have a position even when the original Gonzo and Green have departed.

Heat Index Disclaimer: We're not saying the Diamondbacks must trade Quentin. We're saying:

• His trade value is probably higher than that of Carlos Gonzalez and might never be better.

• The Diamondbacks are thin on pitching prospects.

• It makes sense, then, to see what Quentin's value could bring.

For instance, St. Louis already has seen two left fielders, Larry Bigbie and John Rodriguez, go down to injury. Would they give up their top pitching prospect, right-hander Anthony Reyes, for Quentin?

Our motto: It can't hurt to ask.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cheapseats/articles/0407p2main0407.html

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
We have to figure the Phx media will start to talk about trading away a top prospect. We do have a log jam of position prospects and are very thin on pitching prospects. Do I want to trade away these prospects, NO! Especially since they haven't got their shot yet.

Prob the only way Byrnes would trade a super prospect like Q would be if we were in contention midway through this season and it would also take a pitching prospect like Reyes to complete a deal. This is all just specualtion......

We will have a problem in a couple seasons (Upton,Q, Young, Gonzales all MLB ready) but I guess it's a good one to have. I

IMO, I would rather deal away Hudson, let Upton play 2B (assuming Drew is at SS), and have an outfield consisting of CF Young, RF the new Gonzo, and LF Q. We also have to remember that some of these prospects more than likely won't pan out. Lets hope not though

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading a top prospect in exchange for a top prospect is pretty rare, so you can forget about trading Quentin for a top pitching prospect. I really dont think Quentin is the odd man out anyways. You have to figure Upton is the center fielder of the future, and Young is not as well suited to play RF as he is the other outfield positions.

So out of our outfield prospect pool, that really leaves Quentin or Carlos Gonzalez in right field. Gonzalez hasnt proved nearly as much as Quentin has at this point. I am always a little leery of penciling in guys like Gonzalez that havent done anything above A ball as part of your future plans (although there are exceptions to this rule of course, such as $6M #1 overall draft picks), so I do not believe this is an appropriate time to trade Quentin just because it currently appears we may eventually find ourselves overloaded in the outfield.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with ya on not trading away prospects simply because we have too many at certain positions. I would rather hold onto them and see which ones find success and take the risk that comes along with that (although it's minimal IMO). The free agent SP market this upcoming offseason is rich in quality arms so I see no way that Byrnes deals any of our "super prospects."

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sorry to say but I would 100% guarantee that Quinten, Jackson, Upton and Drew never play in D'backs uniforms together.....

Something has to give and I think Bob Young is speculating that it's gonna be Quinen. With Upton moving to CF where does that leave Chris Young?

Does

Young > Quinten

or

Quinten > Young ???

D'backs managment has to deal someone eventually

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
D'backs managment has to deal someone eventually
Especially with our need for starting pitching. It was great to see our first three starters pitch so well to start the season, but it's a long season.

With an absolute overabundance of superstar-potential SS and outfielders, why not look into trades that will bring our starting staff up to championship caliber.

AZZenny

Reaction score
You don't trade a blue chip prospect for a TNSTAAPP. It may be that some of our top guys get traded away -- although I sincerely hope it isn't CQ -- but it will be part of a deal for a youngish guy proven in the majors. Plus -- It's unlikely to happen this season unless by some miracle we're looking like we might be in contention at the trade deadline, which I'm not counting on.

I still think that with Justin Upton moving to CF -- and many scouts predicting he could potentially be ready for the big club within a year at CF -- Chris Young is more likely the one to go. CQ has far superior plate discipline, which is better-loved by our wonderful new GM, and he has better defense as well. He is also not lacking in power.

HooverDam

Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
IMO, I would rather deal away Hudson, let Upton play 2B (assuming Drew is at SS), and have an outfield consisting of CF Young, RF the new Gonzo, and LF Q. We also have to remember that some of these prospects more than likely won't pan out. Lets hope not though

I came to post exactly that. Its good to have four (or more) potential great OFs coming down the pipeline, because one will probably get injured or wont pan out. Though, just in case by some miracle they all do work out, the organization should be training Upton in the various IF positions, to make sure he can get on the field somewhere.

If the Dbacks are going to make trades, I hope its stuff like L. Gonzalez to an AL team for a Pitching prospect, or Russ Ortiz for anything (Id take a mid level pitching prospect), etc etc. Maybe keep Shawn Green and Hudson as the "veteran leaders"

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
If the Dbacks are going to make trades, I hope its stuff like L. Gonzalez to an AL team for a Pitching prospect, or Russ Ortiz for anything (Id take a mid level pitching prospect), etc etc. Maybe keep Shawn Green and Hudson as the "veteran leaders"

I would take a bag of chips for Ortiz. His contract is killing us.

I think Gonzo will get traded away to a contender at the deadline.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
I would take a bag of chips for Ortiz. His contract is killing us.

I think Gonzo will get traded away to a contender at the deadline.

Gonzo can veto any trade and I have a feeling he would.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This is why i would keep all of them. Like it or not guys one of these guys is going to be a spectacular bust. Either because of injury, inability to transition to the league or jut plain bad luck.

I keep looking at it this way. I think one of the guys will end up being transcendent. (my guess is Upton)

Two guys will end up being All star type players ( I would say Jackson and Drew)

others will be starters with very good specialized skills (Quentin and Young)

and maybe a couple will never turn out.....

But having this kind of depth is a good thing and i think we should hold onto them until we actually have a situation where a good player cant get ont he field even after fully developing....

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
This is why i would keep all of them. Like it or not guys one of these guys is going to be a spectacular bust. Either because of injury, inability to transition to the league or jut plain bad luck.

I keep looking at it this way. I think one of the guys will end up being transcendent. (my guess is Upton)

Two guys will end up being All star type players ( I would say Jackson and Drew)

others will be starters with very good specialized skills (Quentin and Young)

and maybe a couple will never turn out.....

But having this kind of depth is a good thing and i think we should hold onto them until we actually have a situation where a good player cant get ont he field even after fully developing....

Exactly the point I'm trying to make. Whats the problem with holding onto all of them and seeing which one(s) pan out???? Plus, whoever thinks we can trade one of our blue chip position propects for a blue chip pitching prospect is crazy. Teams don't just deal away a top pitching prospect for a top position prospect. The only way we get a top pitching prospect is if we deal Gonzo and it would prob have to include one of our prospects as well.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Russ Ortiz for anything (Id take a mid level pitching prospect)

Here's the problem-- with Russ's contract as it is, the only chance Arizona has of unloading it is if they force a team to take the contract in a deal involving someone like Quentin.

I've often said if the price was right, I'd trade Quentin in a moment's notice. If someone offers a good, young pitcher (I'm talking pitchers like Scott Kasmir, no Elmer Dessens-crappy journeymen type pitchers), I think Carlos Gonzalez or even Young could man the corner OF positions without losing a step.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I don't get it with you guys! You're talking a kid who has never been above single-A ball -- how about let's see if Gonzalez looks as good at the end of this season before you trade a guy who has excelled at every level and would already be in the OF of any team except the DBacks, where the dinosaurs continue to roam. Chris Young, as noted above, has basically one thing in significantly better supply than CQ -- speed. His plate discipline is nowhere near as good. Power is not dissimilar. CQ is a better fielder. Young also needs to show his stuff at AAA before we anoint him.

You don't trade a top-top position prospect, which Carlos Quentin is, for a pitching prospect. No matter how good. You only trade them as part of a package for top-tier pitchers.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Instead of talking about trading Q let's talk about who we can get for Shawn Green.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Instead of talking about trading Q let's talk about who we can get for Shawn Green.
The Diamondbacks are going to have pay around 1/2 of the roughly 19.5 million dollars he's owed. He also has a partial no trade clause and unless there is another team stupid enough to be leveraged into an extension, he won't be traded.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nm132 said:
The Diamondbacks are going to have pay around 1/2 of the roughly 19.5 million dollars he's owed. He also has a partial no trade clause and unless there is another team stupid enough to be leveraged into an extension, he won't be traded.

You mean there is not another team out there that is dumb enough to trade for Ortiz or Green?:rolleyes:

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
You mean there is not another team out there that is dumb enough to trade for Ortiz or Green?:rolleyes:
What's your point?

Green was not that bad last season. He's just not a $10 M/year player at this point in his career. Without him waiving his no trade clause, he can only be traded to the Angels, Dodgers, and Padres. Obviously the Angels aren't a possibility. The Dodgers have J.D. Drew and a bunch of scrubs, but did get rid of him. The Padres have Giles, Ryan Klesko (back in 2-4 months), and Mike Cameron (back soon). The point is Green obviously doesn't want to leave the west coast and to do so would probably require financial inducements that no team (except the Dbacks) is likely going to be willing to give. He's untradeable unless he starting hitting like the Shawn Green of 4-5 years ago.

AZZenny

Reaction score
The point is that since Joe G is not the GM of another club, we are stuck with our dinosaurs. However, if Green and/or Gonzo really look bad, there is always the Matt Williams' way out. Eat salary and bring up youth.

HooverDam

Reaction score
AZZenny said:
The point is that since Joe G is not the GM of another club, we are stuck with our dinosaurs. However, if Green and/or Gonzo really look bad, there is always the Matt Williams' way out. Eat salary and bring up youth.

Lets hope for the opposite. Im hoping and praying they (and Ortiz) put together stellar first halves, and then get traded to contenders for good prospects (hopefully of the pitching variety). Though I do worry that if we have 2 or 3 veterans play really well in the 1st half, the front office will do something stupid like try to keep them together for a "playoff run" (which even if we made the playoffs, we'd certainly be bumped in Rd 1).

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nm132 said:
What's your point?

Green was not that bad last season. He's just not a $10 M/year player at this point in his career. Without him waiving his no trade clause, he can only be traded to the Angels, Dodgers, and Padres. Obviously the Angels aren't a possibility. The Dodgers have J.D. Drew and a bunch of scrubs, but did get rid of him. The Padres have Giles, Ryan Klesko (back in 2-4 months), and Mike Cameron (back soon). The point is Green obviously doesn't want to leave the west coast and to do so would probably require financial inducements that no team (except the Dbacks) is likely going to be willing to give. He's untradeable unless he starting hitting like the Shawn Green of 4-5 years ago.

If you don't get the point than you must think Joe G. Jr. was a great GM. Green is a decent player but he is not worth what he is making. The same definitely could be said for Ortiz, who is grossly overpaid.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
AZZenny might be Ken Kendrick in disgise, wam wammy wammo home runs yippie, let's trade young stud left handed pitchers for the big wammy home run sexson! I am sick of this fantasy home run crap , hopefully burns will get some pitching in this organization, I am not saying deal quinten but for can't miss top pitching prospect yes, better yet left handed top pitching prospect. This org will fall all over itself to sign mr. homerun wiff 150 times a year but never focuses on pitching. Steriod ball is over let's get some pitchers in this org or they will never win it all again. Especially on wammo homerun ball.

wammo!

Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
If you don't get the point than you must think Joe G. Jr. was a great GM. Green is a decent player but he is not worth what he is making. The same definitely could be said for Ortiz, who is grossly overpaid.

We realize this. I don't even know why anyone would be talking about Green or Ortiz being traded. Absolutely no one will take those contracts. We have to suffer through those contracts as they waste away

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
AZZenny might be Ken Kendrick in disgise, wam wammy wammo home runs yippie, let's trade young stud left handed pitchers for the big wammy home run sexson! I am sick of this fantasy home run crap , hopefully burns will get some pitching in this organization, I am not saying deal quinten but for can't miss top pitching prospect yes, better yet left handed top pitching prospect. This org will fall all over itself to sign mr. homerun wiff 150 times a year but never focuses on pitching. Steriod ball is over let's get some pitchers in this org or they will never win it all again. Especially on wammo homerun ball.

wammo!

:confused:

There is NO WAY another team will trade away a top pitching prospect for one of our top position prospects. The only way a deal involving a top pitching prospect coming to us would have to involve Gonzo and either Q, Young, or Gonzales. Even then, Gonzo would have to waive his no trade clause which I see highly unlikely.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05