Carlos Quentin to the Cardinals?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
We realize this. I don't even know why anyone would be talking about Green or Ortiz being traded. Absolutely no one will take those contracts. We have to suffer through those contracts as they waste away

Thank you. That was my point. I'm just hoping when July rolls around there could be a team contending that might be desperate enough to take one of the big contracts off the D'Backs hands.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Instead of talking about trading Q let's talk about who we can get for Shawn Green.

Thank you. That was my point. I'm just hoping when July rolls around there could be a team contending that might be desperate enough to take one of the big contracts off the D'Backs hands.

We understand your point. However, you are contradicting yourself. We know Joe Jr. caused this mess, which we will be forced to live with till the contracts expire, so why would you bring up the discussion of trying to trade Green. The only big contract we can unload is Gonzo. Green is going nowhere, as is Ortiz, so if you bring up such trade discussion people will respond to you the way they have

AZZenny

Reaction score
Treesquid -- not sure where you're coming from in that rather odd attack. I'm the OBP-and-defense nut, not a power nut. Ask anyone here who knows me.

The simple reality is that teams do not trade real top pitching prospects for a top position prospect. Smart teams do not normally trade a potential stud position player for top pitching prospects, either. Those kind of top-level prospects are factored into much more involved, usually deadline trades for proven players.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
This org will fall all over itself to sign mr. homerun wiff 150 times a year but never focuses on pitching.
This organization has never focused on pitching? Wow...

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
We understand your point. However, you are contradicting yourself. We know Joe Jr. caused this mess, which we will be forced to live with till the contracts expire, so why would you bring up the discussion of trying to trade Green. The only big contract we can unload is Gonzo. Green is going nowhere, as is Ortiz, so if you bring up such trade discussion people will respond to you the way they have

You're probably right but don't think a team that needs a hitter before the trading deadline might consider Green? If a team loses a hitter because of injury, I could see one of them asking. I would bet the front office would like to see Quentin in right field next year.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Azkarl

RedStripe27 said:
I would take a bag of chips for Ortiz. His contract is killing us.

I think Gonzo will get traded away to a contender at the deadline.

Trading him won't mean you lose the contract. No team will take him without us eating most of it.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
AzKarl said:
Trading him won't mean you lose the contract. No team will take him without us eating most of it.

Not true. Their are plenty of teams that would take on his contract if desperate enough. Your telling me that if an injury popped up on a playoff contention roster like NYY, BOS, LAA, NYM, PHI they wouldn't take his salary. All those teams care about is a WS ring and a $10 Mill dollar contract won't hold them back. Gonzo is proving he can still hit and IMO an AL team would take him and his contract for the remainder of the season to DH.

Isn't Gonzo's contract up at the end of this year? If so, wouldn't a team getting Gonzo recieve his contract pro-rated. If so, they would only be taking on about $5 mill for his duties during the 2nd half of the season. Not sure how that works but I still think a team (primarily an AL team) would take his full contract as he can still serve as an adequate DH.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Isn't Gonzo's contract up at the end of this year? If so, wouldn't a team getting Gonzo recieve his contract pro-rated. If so, they would only be taking on about $5 mill for his duties during the 2nd half of the season. Not sure how that works but I still think a team (primarily an AL team) would take his full contract as he can still serve as an adequate DH.
He can still hit and would be tradeable at the deadline (with the Dback possibly chipping in a little), but as a 10 and 5 guy he has the right to refuse any trade. Given that he has already won a title, has a family with young children and already makes his permanent home here, I seriously doubt he wants to leave.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Not true. Their are plenty of teams that would take on his contract if desperate enough. Your telling me that if an injury popped up on a playoff contention roster like NYY, BOS, LAA, NYM, PHI they wouldn't take his salary. All those teams care about is a WS ring and a $10 Mill dollar contract won't hold them back. Gonzo is proving he can still hit and IMO an AL team would take him and his contract for the remainder of the season to DH.

I was referencing Ortiz and not Gonzo. Gonzo is still productive. Ortiz has not proven to be consistently productive. You said you'd take a bag of chips for Ortiz and I merely pointed out it would be a multi-million dollar bag of chips.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
AzKarl said:
I was referencing Ortiz and not Gonzo. Gonzo is still productive. Ortiz has not proven to be consistently productive. You said you'd take a bag of chips for Ortiz and I merely pointed out it would be a multi-million dollar bag of chips.

Sorry, my bad. However, I didn't post that about Ortiz. We would def have to throw in millions if Ortiz were to get moved. Even then, I don't see a team interested. He's by far and away our worst starter

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Too bad Isiah Thomas isn't running an MLB team.
No kidding! The only reason the Suns are having the success they are the last two years is because of Isiah and the Knicks. Without Steph and Penny off the books there is no Nash, Marion and Stat wouldn't be locked up long term, and we wouldn't have a post defender in Thomas (although he's still out). BTW, there was a pretty close version but he's gone now- Joe Jr. (he did win us a championship though).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05