Charles and Kobe making fun of Raja.

bamboo

Reaction score
Did anyone see TNT before the game?

Charles Barkley was clowning on Raja. Saying Raja flopped on Kobe's elbow.

And Kobe was laughing and saying Raja was "insecure" and that he "probably missed a lot of hugs as a child". That's when the whole media crew busted out laughing.

I thought Charles was a Sun? Why is he against our team?

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They need to pull Chuck's number down from the rafters. He's been bitter ever since he was traded for Horry + Cassell, commencing the Suns' Dark Age.

I have seen Kobe's pompous remarks several times as I live in So Cal. Very irritating. If he actually didn't have Raja on his mind all the time, he wouldn't be using that stupid shoulder brush-off gesture.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bamboo said:
Did anyone see TNT before the game?

Charles Barkley was clowning on Raja. Saying Raja flopped on Kobe's elbow.

And Kobe was laughing and saying Raja was "insecure" and that he "probably missed a lot of hugs as a child". That's when the whole media crew busted out laughing.

I thought Charles was a Sun? Why is he against our team?

My guess is that if the Lakers have a lead of around 10 or so in the 4th quarter, Kobe better not be on the floor.

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
tobiazz said:
They need to pull Chuck's number down from the rafters. He's been bitter ever since he was traded for Horry + Cassell, commencing the Suns' Dark Age.

I have seen Kobe's pompous remarks several times as I live in So Cal. Very irritating. If he actually didn't have Raja on his mind all the time, he wouldn't be using that stupid shoulder brush-off gesture.

I have always given Chuck the benefit of the doubt but its time to take it down.........Has that ever happened before???? for any team????

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I did not see the interview, but it strikes me, that Charles and Kobe could never understand Raja Bell. Both Barkley and Kobe are uber-talented individuals, who have always been great players, rarely is a better player on the court with them. Raja Bell on the other hand, has what, maybe half the talent of either Kobe or Barkley? In order to make and subsequently continue to play in NBA, Raja Bell must play with a controlled burn; right on the edge as D'Antoni said. When you play that close the line, its bound to happen that you cross it. Raja did, and should be punished for it, but I think an all-world talent like Kobe or Barkley has trouble understanding the reasons for it.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not the worst thng in the world to be laughed at by a sexual predator and a degenerate gambler. Consider the sources.

I just wish Shaq had giving Kobe the beating he deserved before he left the Lakers.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kobe just proved Raja right... he is so stuck up.

if i was him, i wouldnt even make a comment about Raja, just say "things got out of hand, and he lost his temper, but I want to move on".

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How anyone could ever cheer for a team with Kobe is beyond me......

jibikao

Reaction score
Kobe is known to give elbows anyway. It's not that hard to persuade.

Charles probably got a phone call from Stern to say positives thing about Laker. Not suprising at all. I mean if Jordan can gamble on his team and was forced to "retired" rather than "kicked out", I am sure there are tons of politics going on in the league. This is media...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe Bryant is an ass. Everybody knows that. Even Ddogg knows what an arrogant prick he is. What Bell was responding to was Kobe's comment that was something like, "I get out what all the time, and I don't react like that." That's not a direct quote, but was something along those lines.

Of course that is total crap, and Bell pointed out that Bryant took a big shot at Mike Miller after catching an inadvertent hand to the face.

Charles Barkley, although he is entertaining, is one of the biggest hypocrites around, especially when it comes to the Phoenix Suns. He is always talking down on teams that don't play great defense. Well, that was always one of the knocks on Barkley as a player. I know Kenny Smith is constantly biting is time listening to Charles Barkley talk.

That said,, Barkley is right about the flop. On the play where Kobe Bryant "elbowed Bell in the chest" and received an offensive foul Bell flopped. I love Raja Bell because he is on the Phoenix Suns, but you can't look at him play objectively without seeing that he plays what most of us would call dirty basketball. If he was guarding one of our players like that we would be up in arms.

I think it was wrong, but Phil Jackson was onto something when he said Bell deserved the elbows. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for Kobe Bryant when he's getting groped and molested the entire game, and then he's getting called for offensive fouls when he makes minimal contact with Bell that sends him flying 5-8 feet. Of course I love it because I loathe Kobe Bryant, and Raja is playing for the Phoenix Suns.

Joe

fball13

Registered
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
It is not the worst thng in the world to be laughed at by a sexual predator and a degenerate gambler. Consider the sources.

I just wish Shaq had giving Kobe the beating he deserved before he left the Lakers.

Good point... A very respectable source...

You must be registered for see images attach

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I think it was wrong, but Phil Jackson was onto something when he said Bell deserved the elbows. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for Kobe Bryant when he's getting groped and molested the entire game, and then he's getting called for offensive fouls when he makes minimal contact with Bell that sends him flying 5-8 feet. Of course I love it because I loathe Kobe Bryant, and Raja is playing for the Phoenix Suns.
Joe
Joe I can agree partially, Kobe gets away with more then his fair share of offensive fouls. And bell is the first suns player we have had that is kind of like an equalizer, face it , we have been on the wrong side of the calls for many many years. and I still think we are not getting our share, but bell definitly helps make it more even. If I thought we were winning because we were getting more favorable calls all the time I really wouldn't like that either. I'm a competitor and I don't like anything given to me , I want to earn it fairly.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe's arrogant, yep. 100%. Cocky and arrogant. Never would argue that he isn't.

I also can't help but think Kobe's playing a little bit of Phil here...he's just getting himself further into Raja's head. His fish fry comment juiced a bunch of anger out of Raja, and now he's continually belitting him in the press "Who is this guy? I don't know this kid, I don't WANT to know this kid" and "What, retaliate and miss a game? No way. For this guy?!?!?" and "I don't think he got enough hugs as a child" and "Maybe he has a glass jaw" and "Maybe he should just play basketball and stop whining." Those comments are downright Shaq-like. Raja comes out and says he doesn't respect Kobe, and Kobe comes out and disrespects him multiple times. You can say that Raja is in Kobe's head, but Kobe seems to be having fun with it, laughing, while Raja is angry.

I really wouldn't be suprised to find out that Phil is condoning Kobe's talking...he loves the mind games...Phil was involved in pushing Raja's buttons already. I think Kobe does like to talk s though too, but I've never seen him talk like a mini-Shaq.

This whole thing is downright comical at the moment. And I want the video of both Bell's full media interview and Kobe's too, not just snippets. Those two together are Hi-larious.

nowagimp

Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Kobe's arrogant, yep. 100%. Cocky and arrogant. Never would argue that he isn't.

I also can't help but think Kobe's playing a little bit of Phil here...he's just getting himself further into Raja's head. His fish fry comment juiced a bunch of anger out of Raja, and now he's continually belitting him in the press "Who is this guy? I don't know this kid, I don't WANT to know this kid" and "What, retaliate and miss a game? No way. For this guy?!?!?" and "I don't think he got enough hugs as a child" and "Maybe he has a glass jaw" and "Maybe he should just play basketball and stop whining." Those comments are downright Shaq-like. Raja comes out and says he doesn't respect Kobe, and Kobe comes out and disrespects him multiple times. You can say that Raja is in Kobe's head, but Kobe seems to be having fun with it, laughing, while Raja is angry.

I really wouldn't be suprised to find out that Phil is condoning Kobe's talking...he loves the mind games...Phil was involved in pushing Raja's buttons already. I think Kobe does like to talk s though too, but I've never seen him talk like a mini-Shaq.

This whole thing is downright comical at the moment. And I want the video of both Bell's full media interview and Kobe's too, not just snippets. Those two together are Hi-larious.

I doubt that Phil is condoning the talking down. Motivating opponents is not his style. And lets face it Raja has done a pretty good job defending Kobe this series. Phil also coached MJ, and certainly MJ had alot more class as a competitor than Kobe has. I dont think I've ever heard MJ berate an opponent in the press this way. On the floor, its another matter and just between the two of them. As a matter of fact I think most NBA superstars dont berate opponents in the press, especially skilled opponents. Actually, I think Raja did get under Kobe's skin. With Kobe's ego, I expect that being dumped on his a__ in front of a national television audience hurt his pride. The bigger the ego, the more pride to hurt. And we know who has more ego.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I do agree that Kobe and Phil have gotten into Raja's head... to me that is the biggest shock of the series. Raja is generally getting into the heads of the opponents. He needs to calm down and let it go right now. Prepare for Game 7, or next season. We need him mentally strong.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I came across these pictures on the net...I guess this is the proper place for them.

Anyway, I agree that we need to spend more time feeling sorry for Kobe. ;)

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Kobe Bryant is an ass. Everybody knows that. Even Ddogg knows what an arrogant prick he is. What Bell was responding to was Kobe's comment that was something like, "I get out what all the time, and I don't react like that." That's not a direct quote, but was something along those lines.

Of course that is total crap, and Bell pointed out that Bryant took a big shot at Mike Miller after catching an inadvertent hand to the face.

Charles Barkley, although he is entertaining, is one of the biggest hypocrites around, especially when it comes to the Phoenix Suns. He is always talking down on teams that don't play great defense. Well, that was always one of the knocks on Barkley as a player. I know Kenny Smith is constantly biting is time listening to Charles Barkley talk.

That said,, Barkley is right about the flop. On the play where Kobe Bryant "elbowed Bell in the chest" and received an offensive foul Bell flopped. I love Raja Bell because he is on the Phoenix Suns, but you can't look at him play objectively without seeing that he plays what most of us would call dirty basketball. If he was guarding one of our players like that we would be up in arms.

Joe

First, I know I said I wasn't going to post here until the series was over, but I am just TOO jacked for this game not to come over here.

Anyway, the only reason I am breaking my vow of silence, was to tell you that was BY FAR, the best post I have read on either board (here and Lakersground) over the whole series.

Although I don't think Kobe is an ass or a prick, I will say, that I most likely would feel the exact same way, if he wasn't a Laker. Which I guess is the essence of being a fan (i.e. I love my guy, and hate the other guys.)

There has been a lot of contact and jockeying in this series especially between Kobe and Raja. However, anyone that has ever played basketball at any higher level, understands that is just part of the game within the game. Hell, if I had a dollar for every elbow I threw or got hit with, I wouldn't be working right now (I use working as a realitive term since I am obviously posting on a message board).

What Raja did however, crossed the line between the game within the game and being dirty. He took a cheap shot, that is not within the context of basketball competition, IMO (and before it is brought up, I think Luke's foul was although cheap within this context because it was during a layup attempt in the playoffs. Also, Kwames was borderline, but at least was the result of 2 players getting mixed up for a loose ball. Raja, seemed premediated, and made even furthe by telling the bench that 'foul was for you', and not neccesairly a in the heat of battle type thing. Although I already know 90% of you will disagree with how I see the three instances.). Made even funnier by the fact that he used the supposed elbow in the face earlier (which replays definitively show didn't come close to hitting him in the face) as his reasoning for going 'over the edge'. When, more likely then not, the reason for the cheap shot is Kobe being an 'arrogant prick' and what was described as 'prodding from the Laker bench'.

What it all boils down to is, the Lakers got away with some questionable no calls in game 4, which gave Kobe the opportuinity to make some amazing game winning plays (the fact is, the game should have never even been that close, considering Kobe didn't play for almost 11 minutes in the 2nd quarter due to foul problems and the Suns didn't take advantage of that opportunity). The Suns, in my view, got a lot of beneficial offensive foul calls at home in game 5, but their shooting and much improved defense was even more of a reason for their victory. However, Raja's boneheaded, and in my estimation cheap, play may cost them in the end because his obvious ability to frustrate and draw offensive foul calls on Kobe will not be available to the Suns in a pivotal, potential close-out, road game.

We'll see what happens tonight. To be honest, I really wish I felt more confident about this game then I do. However, I think that Raja's deserved suspension gives us an advantage not only for a more comfortable Kobe, but also with the effect that it has on the Suns already depleted depth. If the Suns play with the passion they did on Tuesday and keep hitting those threes, I can definitly see them sending it to a game 7.

Kobe needs to try and fight the urge to go off, without Raja around to annoy the crap out of him. Allow Odom to continue to exploit the advantage on Marion, or whoever else is trying to cover him (Diaw?). If we can do this, and keep Kwame in the game, instead of on the bench with foul trouble, I like the Lakers chances.

Simply stated, the most aggresive team will most likely get the benefit of the calls, and more likely than not win the game. Should be fun, there is no substitute for NBA playoff basketball.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
LakeShowMan said:
Although I already know 90% of you will disagree with how I see the three instances.
Speaking for myself, if it wasn't for game 4, I would be fine with the various penalties. Luke Walton's foul is the only one where I have any real problem with the response (Walton should have been thrown out of the game right then IMO).

Of course, if it wasn't for game 4, game 6 wouldn't be very meaningful, would it?

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Speaking for myself, if it wasn't for game 4, I would be fine with the various penalties. Luke Walton's foul is the only one where I have any real problem with the response (Walton should have been thrown out of the game right then IMO).

Of course, if it wasn't for game 4, game 6 wouldn't be very meaningful, would it?

Well, that is most likely the problem. What I tried to do, although probably impossible becuase of my biases, is look at all of the plays individually in a vacuum.

However, trust me, I understand how much game 4 must of hurt. Both on how the games were lost (two last second shots), and because of the feelings of it being caused by non-calls.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's bizarre watching Chuck say how he should have just bet $1000 a hand and not $25K a hand, he'd have only lost 50-100K instead of millions.

Mind. Boggling.

essell

Transplanted Suns Fan
Reaction score
Hahaha. Right!

If only I had lost 100K instead of millions, then I wouldn't have a "problem".

-Charles Barkley

Thanks, Chuck, for making all of your fans feel totally financially inadequate. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This article further backs up my point of view:

Played out

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
May 4, 2006

Phil Jackson has nine championship rings. Kobe Bryant has three. Raja Bell has none, although he does have a one-game suspension to serve.

In a beautifully calculated bit of series-long gamesmanship, the Los Angeles Lakers' championship-experienced coach and star have taken Bell, the Phoenix Suns' best defender (not an oxymoron), out of Thursday's critical Game 6 in L.A. It was all so predictable you can hardly believe it worked.

Bell had to be on the Lakers' radar before this series even began. He is a player of great defensive talent (enough to actually slow Bryant) but also of great emotion (enough to react to five games of poking and prodding).

So the Lakers poked. And then prodded. Bryant got some elbows up; Jackson got Bell's ire up with biting comments from the bench.

In Tuesday's Game 5, Bell snapped, idiotically throwing Bryant to the floor in the fourth quarter of an easy Suns victory. He was ejected and then predictably suspended for one game, leaving Phoenix with no obvious answer for the most dangerous scorer in the NBA.

It was a matter of taking the Lakers' bait, hook, line and (team) sinker.

"I have no respect for him," Bell told reporters Wednesday of Bryant, who has played chippy all series. "I think he's a pompous, arrogant individual."

Like congeniality matters.

Then there was Bell, immediately after mauling Bryant, turning toward Jackson and, according to the Associated Press, screaming "That's your foul." Bell explained that he was still upset that, after being fouled earlier, Jackson had told him he "(expletive) deserved it."

"I thought that was kind of bush league from such a good coach," Bell said. "That was enough for me."

~Snip~

If you know anything about Phil Jackson, you know he doesn't waste words, time or energy on anything that doesn't help achieve the end game. Phil Jackson talks to Raja Bell for one reason – to get in his head so he'll do something that benefits the Lakers. In this case, something stupid like getting suspended.

This was Mind Games 101, even if no one on the Lakers is ever going to admit it. But this is why certain coaches and certain players figure out how to advance in the playoffs, even when they don't have the best talent.

This was two playoff veterans – ultra-competitive and proven winners – taking on an inexperienced opponent and getting him to melt down at the worst possible moment.

If you are into this kind of psych-out sports stuff, this was about as good as it gets.

~Snip~

He [Kobe] was smiling big on Tuesday after getting hammered, brushing off the foul and playing up to the Phoenix crowd. He had every reason to. Raja Bell fell for the oldest trick in the book and took himself out of the most crucial game of the series.

Just how you can imagine Kobe and Phil dreamed it up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=dw-rajabell050406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wait -- you mean there's someone in the media who loves Phil Jackson? :thud:

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
these are the same people that said that phil threw game one so that the lakers could have the suns right where they want them.