Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (remake)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
The original was a classic and in my book still ten times as good as the remake...

I think that is a very interesting phenomenom because the original did NOT follow the book and the Dahl family did not endorse it.

This one actually did follow the book and the Dahl family DID endorse it. And yet most of you are saying that the original is better.

Personally, I like both versions, but I like the new one better because it gave Willy Wonka a lot more depth. Gene Wilder was good in the original, but really, he didn't have to DO anything.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
My wife wanted to see this one bad, so I broke the "no theater" rule and we went last night... My wife loved it, I was very disappointed... Artistically lacking in my opinion, kind of shocked due to those that were involved... As always Depp was awesome, this guy can play anything... Enjoyed the squirrel senquence but the Oompa Loompa guy just struck me the wrong way, not to mention that they just repeated him over and over and shrunk him down...

The original was a classic and in my book still ten times as good as the remake...

I felt the same way about the Oompa Loompa guy. It ruined the whole movie for me. First of all they just repeated the same person over again which seemed to take away from their character. Then the guy they picked for the oompa loompa was butt-ugly and looked really old and had a mean face. I hate when these studios overdue special effects for stuff like this.

Overall the movie didn't have that same closure as the first movie for me. But they are two totally different movies and hard to even compare.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it this afternooon more as a function of convienience than desire (it was the only one playing at this theater at 11:30...the rest of the movies didn't start until well after 12).

I thought it was less than average. Depp's portrayal bothered me a bit--I don't think it was bad, but just bothersome. I guess I could classify the movie on whole like that: not exactly bad, but it bugged me a little bit.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just watched it. Surprisingly I really liked it. I’m not a huge Depp fan, but I thought he did a great job. Like someone said earlier, the flashbacks were great.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw the movie over the weekend. Different, but good.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the new version better than the old. Depp's Wonka was better and stranger, and I loved the backstory of his character. Wilder's Wonka comes off too aggressively bi-polar for my tastes.

And I like in this one that Charlie doesn't mess up in the factory and still win, something I dislike about the first one.

I like the older songs better, but the new ones grew on me.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When I was a little boy I wanted to grow up and be Willie Wonka.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan