Charlie Whitehurst - Best Trade That Never Happened for the Cards?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/hea...t-index-arizona-cardinals-nfl-no-trading.html

Remember in the spring of 2010 when the Cardinals and Seahawks were competing for San Diego's reserve quarterback, Charlie Whitehurst?
He was a restricted free agent, which meant the Chargers would get compensation if he signed with another team, so it essentially was a trade.
Whitehurst, who had not thrown a pass in an NFL regular-season game, went to Seattle.
The Seahawks gave up a 2011 third-round pick and swapped spots in the second round of the 2010 draft, exchanging the 40th pick for the 60th.
Now, Whitehurst is battling Tarvaris Jackson for the starting job this preseason, but he sure doesn't look like a franchise quarterback.
If the Cardinals had signed Whitehurst, would he be their quarterback? Or backup to Matt Leinart?
We shiver at the thought of it, even if it's 115 degrees outside.
Hey, if those two were here, pursuing Kevin Kolb might not have been an option.
And Larry Fitzgerald, fearing that his ribs would be rearranged chasing errant passes, might be in his final season here rather than under contract for eight.
This article gives perspective of the potential domino effect the Charlie Whitehurst trade would have had on the team had it gone through. Basically, there is a very good chance he'd have been mediocre in 2010 but good enough to be given another chance in 2011; which would have meant not bringing in Kevin Kolb and possibly scaring off Fitz from signing an extension.

In retrospect, I am very glad Seattle decided to outbid us. Not only did the Seahawks lose a draft pick in the process, but they acquired a QB that can't beat out Tavaris in competition along with doing their division rival a favor by not giving the Cards the opportunity to make a huge mistake with possible negative consequences.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we had gotten Whitehurst, I still think Leinart would be gone. That writing was on the wall.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
People were howling for my blood on this board, because I was very vocal in not wanting this waste of a QB. He sucked coming out of college (that whole 'he stinks but has potential' argument helped him), and he only put up numbers in preseason games against garbage opponents. I have no idea what people have ever seen in him, and I'm glad that the Chickens burned a 3rd rounder on him. COMPLETE waste.

C'mon, where are all of you big Whitehurst fans now? You guys were going crazy to get him last offseason? Will no one sack up and eat some crow? I don't get proven so utterly and completely right very often :D

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thread is 1/2 an hour old. Give it some time, geez.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
People were howling for my blood on this board, because I was very vocal in not wanting this waste of a QB. He sucked coming out of college (that whole 'he stinks but has potential' argument helped him), and he only put up numbers in preseason games against garbage opponents. I have no idea what people have ever seen in him, and I'm glad that the Chickens burned a 3rd rounder on him. COMPLETE waste.

C'mon, where are all of you big Whitehurst fans now? You guys were going crazy to get him last offseason? Will no one sack up and eat some crow? I don't get proven so utterly and completely right very often :D

Can't help you there. I thought the hags let us off the hook when they outbid us. (I was still in the "In Whiz We Trust" mode at that time, though, so I probably would have set aside my reservations and went with it if we had landed him.)

Last edited:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Moves like trading a 3rd for Whitehurst will be Pete Carroll's undoing. I'm glad Whiz wasn't that dumb. At least Kolb actually had some good games during the regular season against other teams starters in meaningful games.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

You didn't like Whitehurst but you backed Leinart...thats a wash.

:p

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Standard-bearer for Charlie Whitehurst in the Cards' complex?

Russ Grimm. Norv Turner sung his praises. The guy who rated Levi Brown as the best OL in the 2006 NFL draft.

The sooner we get rid of the Joe Greene of the offense, the better.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Standard-bearer for Charlie Whitehurst in the Cards' complex?

Russ Grimm. Norv Turner sung his praises. The guy who rated Levi Brown as the best OL in the 2006 NFL draft.

The sooner we get rid of the Joe Greene of the offense, the better.

I think we should collect money to send Grimm to a class entitled "How To Succeed In Interviews". Then maybe he'll finally sucker someone into giving him a HC job and getting him out here.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Stout you weren't alone, I was just as vocal in the anti-Whitehurst crowd.

I just couldn't see how anyone could justify giving up a pick for a guy who never started a game in the NFL.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout you weren't alone, I was just as vocal in the anti-Whitehurst crowd.

I just couldn't see how anyone could justify giving up a pick for a guy who never started a game in the NFL.

Potential. ;)

Everytime I hear that word in connection with a player who has never performed at an acceptable level, I want to puke.

Kinda like throwing unlit sticks of dynamite at a fort you are attacking because of the potential for damage they might do even though you don't have the matches to light them with. Then realizing, too late, that someone inside the fort does have matches.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everything on this thread said with so much certainty (either pro or con)

...until he plays the next game.

Blitz_2231

Reaction score
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']He may eventually become a Pro Bowler, but being in San Diego I saw plenty of him ... holding clipboards and signaling plays to Philip Rivers. Obviously there's a reason why some people are in football while others of us are in the stands, but this is one of those cases where I couldn't believe a team would trade a draft pick, let alone a 3rd rounder for what I saw (or didn't see)![/FONT]

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I liked Whitehurst but not at that price. If you watched Whitehurst at Clemson, the guy had glimpses of franchise QB ability. The problem was/is, even in college he could never put it together.

Sometimes QBs do in year 5 of their NFL career. For a 4th rounder, IMO it would've been worth it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Funny, but suddenly all of those posters who were rabidly all for trading a 3rd for Whitehurst have disappeared. Not an honest soul on this board, eh?

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Bump

Getting back on track....

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best trades that never happened were every trade rumor reported by the Pioneer Press involving Larry Fitzgerald.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05