Charlotte Observer piece on the Panther running game

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/scottfowler/story/269512.html

excerpt:

Carolina's entire offense is constructed around a single premise: Run the ball effectively and you will win games. Boring, yes, but true. The Panthers are 5-0 when rushing for more than 100 yards in 2008 and 0-2 when they have dipped below 100.

So are the Panthers a good enough running team to make the Super Bowl?
No. At least not yet.

Carolina now ranks 15th of 32 NFL teams in rushing yards per game.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
some random observations:

for having two really good running backs, and being 5-2, I am really surprised that Carolina isnt ranked higher in rushing -- either yards per game or yards per attempt.

for having a really good pass defense statistically -- they dont have a lot of sacks or interceptions (both rank in the middle of the pack in the NFL)

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score
some random observations:

for having two really good running backs, and being 5-2, I am really surprised that Carolina isnt ranked higher in rushing -- either yards per game or yards per attempt.

for having a really good pass defense statistically -- they dont have a lot of sacks or interceptions (both rank in the middle of the pack in the NFL)
those are good things to point out.

whatever we are doing, it's working. it isn't fancy or pretty and isn't high profile but its effective. we keep other teams from scoring a lot of points and manage to score more points than the other team. doesn't really matter how its done, just as long as it is done. panthers are middle of the pack as far as total offensive yards and scoring but we haven't needed much. we do what we need to win.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
those are good things to point out.

whatever we are doing, it's working. it isn't fancy or pretty and isn't high profile but its effective. we keep other teams from scoring a lot of points and manage to score more points than the other team. doesn't really matter how its done, just as long as it is done. panthers are middle of the pack as far as total offensive yards and scoring but we haven't needed much. we do what we need to win.

Middle of the pack offensively, but top five defensively. And did a good job of shutting down New Orleans IMO.

Looks like partly cloudy and upper 60s for kickoff Sunday, with the rain clearing out sometime Saturday. Shouldn't be a weather issue with the Cardinals passing game. :)

Reaction score
Reading that article, I get a disquieting feeling that the Panthers are going to game plan to attack the Cardinals defensive secondary...

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Need to mention that the Cards haven't allowed any rusher to go over 100 yards in the past 12 games. Our run defense is S-T-R-O-N-G STRONG!

hepcat

Reaction score
Ever since John Fox became coach the gameplan has always been run first, and pass off the play-action. Like I've mentioned before, Delhomme struggles when he doesn't have a running game, which is what leads to his poor decisions. He is one of the best QBs in the leauge at using the play-action pass, but definently in the bottom half of QBs without it.

The running game hasn't really been that great, but it's the best it's been since '03. Jonathan Stewart is going to be a great back. He's a powerful bull runner who never goes down on the first hit. He's a lot like what we had when we had Stephen Davis, but he's bigger, quicker, and faster. I'm tellin ya, watch him on Sunday, he's going to be great one day. Then there's Deangelo Williams, who is a good back in his own right. He's not going to wow you with his speed or jukes, but he knows when to make his cuts and has great agility to elude defenders. The running game has suffered a bit without Kalil and especially the mauler RT Jeff Otah (who weighs in around 340!) You guys have mentioned having your NT Gabe Watson back...and with Kalil out that could be an area to exploit. I think it'll be Williams getting the majority of the carries on Sunday. He did burn you guys for a long TD run last year to seal the win. I'm just hoping the Panthers can get just enough yards on the ground to force the Cards D to start bringing a saftey into the box.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Ever since John Fox became coach the gameplan has always been run first, and pass off the play-action. Like I've mentioned before, Delhomme struggles when he doesn't have a running game, which is what leads to his poor decisions. He is one of the best QBs in the leauge at using the play-action pass, but definently in the bottom half of QBs without it.

The running game hasn't really been that great, but it's the best it's been since '03. Jonathan Stewart is going to be a great back. He's a powerful bull runner who never goes down on the first hit. He's a lot like what we had when we had Stephen Davis, but he's bigger, quicker, and faster. I'm tellin ya, watch him on Sunday, he's going to be great one day. Then there's Deangelo Williams, who is a good back in his own right. He's not going to wow you with his speed or jukes, but he knows when to make his cuts and has great agility to elude defenders. The running game has suffered a bit without Kalil and especially the mauler RT Jeff Otah (who weighs in around 340!) You guys have mentioned having your NT Gabe Watson back...and with Kalil out that could be an area to exploit. I think it'll be Williams getting the majority of the carries on Sunday. He did burn you guys for a long TD run last year to seal the win. I'm just hoping the Panthers can get just enough yards on the ground to force the Cards D to start bringing a saftey into the box.

Stewart is a Pac-10 guy, so most are very familiar with him -- and in fact, was probably one of the three names being debated here for the Cards to draft this past April (obviously, the Panthers took him prior to Az getting a shot).

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Stewart, in my opinion, was the best RB in the draft. Carolina got a damned steal. In my two keeper fantasy leagues, I offered every player I had, some draft picks, and my rights to the powerball, if I ever win it, to move up in my draft and take Stewart. No takers.

No matter. We can still beat Carolina. Maybe. Bring it on.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it'll be Williams getting the majority of the carries on Sunday. He did burn you guys for a long TD run last year to seal the win. I'm just hoping the Panthers can get just enough yards on the ground to force the Cards D to start bringing a saftey into the box.

NO he didn't burn us for a long TD. A-Dub ( Adrian Wilson for visiting fans) ran him down from behind. But point taken.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05