Chase Field

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have the best highway system/situation in the country for a major city. Not perfect by any means but better than most top-15 populated metro cities.
As someone who lives in one of the worst, Phoenix’s is a complete and utter breeze. Highways are another weak excuse for attendance being weak in another playoff race during a season we’re defending the NL title.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually 3 stadiums. Coyotes twice and the Cardinals once.

It's more likely the team moves out of state than moves out of city

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
As someone who lives in one of the worst, Phoenix’s is a complete and utter breeze. Highways are another weak excuse for attendance being weak in another playoff race during a season we’re defending the NL title.

I thought about this specifically the other day when I got from the Biltmore to Chandler in 15 min. If it’s not rush hour it’s completely stress free to get anywhere.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I take my kids to Rising games on light rail. Never had an issue. For what it’s worth.
I’ve been riding the light rail with my wife and kids for years… probably have been on it close to 75-80 times now and not once have I encountered a problem. Are there some unsavory characters to be experienced? 100%! But maybe I’ve got a different perspective as I grew up riding trains and subways in New York to Yankee, Mets, Knicks and Rangers games, and the things I saw then would make dudes like dscher and Chris Sanders run for the hills! LOL!

As for downtown - I LOVE the location. And downtown is steadily becoming more vibrant.
Parking isn’t ideal, but again, compared to what I’ve experienced in NY and many others cities, the parking for Chase Field is totally reasonable.

And the highways systems in Phoenix are remarkably functional. I just returned from NY and I just can’t believe the traffic situation in the tri-state area. No matter the time of day, if you’re on a highway, you will be sitting in traffic… like, not moving at all!!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not 100% true. Two things would get me to use the light rail again:

#1. Actual connections to deeper in the valley. I have to drive part way to the stadium anyway to use the light rail. I may as well pay to park.

#2. If there was real security on the train

I don't see either happening though.
I don't work far from a light rail station, so I can park there (DT Tempe)
Never have had any issues going to and from the ballpark with the ballpark crowd.

But yes, if the City of Scottsdale (looking at you, former Mayor Lane) and all the idiots in Old Town hadn't veto'd it, there would be light rail running up and down Scottsdale Road

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go to many DBacks games and I got to the point that I can be in and out in minutes.
Keys if driving

RIGHT FIELD GARAGE!

Fairly easy access, very easy to get out to go east.

Or, if you are cheap, street parking south of the stadium, or north and east of 7th street (may have to walk a bit).

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We just have bad fans. After a World Series run and another playoff run the team shouldn’t be 18th in attendance.
Gotta say… averaging close to 30k in a city that empties itself during the summer really isn’t bad at all. I think the fact that the top teams in attendance are only roughly 10k above us is really quite good actually, especially when you factor in how Phoenix is still a melting pot of various transplants who continue to flood the valley.
But I believe the steady increase in attendance is indicating a maturing population where transplants from decades ago, along with their kids who are older now, are choosing to be more supportive of the Dbacks.
And as time continues to march on, I believe this trend will continue.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta say… averaging close to 30k in a city that empties itself during the summer really isn’t bad at all.

Summer’s over. This week is do or die to get in the playoffs. Attendance last night was… 23K.

That’s pathetic 82.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta say… averaging close to 30k in a city that empties itself during the summer really isn’t bad at all. I think the fact that the top teams in attendance are only roughly 10k above us is really quite good actually, especially when you factor in how Phoenix is still a melting pot of various transplants who continue to flood the valley.
But I believe the steady increase in attendance is indicating a maturing population where transplants from decades ago, along with their kids who are older now, are choosing to be more supportive of the Dbacks.
And as time continues to march on, I believe this trend will continue.
Agreed.

Dbacks are 26 years old now, so the 10 year old kid who grew up with the Dbacks is in his 30's and taking their 10 year old kid to the games.

I think I am more an exception - the fan that grew up elsewhere, but completely dumped their old team in favor of Arizona teams.

Too many are Dback/Cardinal haters, or they will support the Dbacks unless they are playing their team.

Doesn't help that a good portion of sports radio in the valley openly cheer for other teams

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Summer’s over. This week is do or die to get in the playoffs. Attendance last night was… 23K.

That’s pathetic 82.
Let’s see what they average for the rest of the season.
Rome wasn’t built in a day… and building a sustainable, reliable fan base takes time.
The trend is favorable, albeit certainly not rocketing to higher levels.

Gambler

Veteran
Reaction score
That is what works for me :)
That is a good location. I try to avoid parking garages. My truck takes up a lot of space and even when I center it perfectly between the lines, well, someone parked so close to my drivers side doors that I had to go through the passenger door and climb over the console to get to the driver's seat. Then there is getting out of the garage.Getting too old for that stuff. :D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a good location. I try to avoid parking garages. My truck takes up a lot of space and even when I center it perfectly between the lines, well, someone parked so close to my drivers side doors that I had to go through the passenger door and climb over the console to get to the driver's seat. Then there is getting out of the garage.Getting too old for that stuff. :D

We take our Honda CR-V, so space not as much an issue. Other than when the guy in the monster truck parks next to us.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, if you are cheap, street parking south of the stadium, or north and east of 7th street (may have to walk a bit).
We are cheap. Parking is the worst thing to pay for, so pay as little as you can. We usually park at a lot at 2nd St. and McKinley and just walk. Less than a mile.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I take the city bus to Twins games. $4 round trip. Granted I live 3 miles from downtown.

Be proud of the D-backs attendance. Twinsies attendance isn't as good with a much better public trans system and a much much nicer stadium.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05