Circle of Friends

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolle may be a problem, but he's got to be frustrated, because he's almost been set up to fail. He can be an OK cornerback, but that waste's his skills that would be better put to use as a safety. Move him there in the offseason, give him the right coaching, and he will be walking the walk and probably would become a good leader for the team.

I would disagree there because Rolle was QUITE clear before the draft that in his mind he's a CB, not a Safety. maybe it related to draft position and contract but he said it several times when asked about reports some teams considered him a guy who could move to safety.

Who knows. I'd be surprised if JJ is on the list because he's so quiet, he really doesn't talk much. Now maybe that's the issue, maybe guys think he doesn't care because he's so quiet, I don't really know but he's not one of those guys like Edge who relishes talking to the media all the time, never has been,never will be. given the too soft reputation from last year could be people take his being quiet as not caring, I don't really know.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Think about the guys we have on this team that were from losing or less-than-competitive programs. Davis never one anything when he was in Texas. Pace came from perrennial doormat Wake Forest. I wouldn't be surprised if Adrian Wilson (whom I love as maybe the most talented player on our defense) plays more for himself than for the team wins. Obviously Reggie Wells ended up at a crappy program in college for a reason.

I think that like Albert Haynesworth, Karlos Dansby is a player that needs to be "managed" by veteran members of the team and can't be depended upon to be a leader, but I think that there are a couple of those guys on every roster and they're fine as long as they're good enough to keep around despite the distractions.

Antrel is a problem because he's bad on the field, but I think that he can't really help that. I wonder also if maybe David Macklin is a problem. His absence has really hurt this team.

Leonard Davis' teams were 27-11 at Texas. They also won the Big-12 championship, played in a bowl game each year he was there (2 Cottons and a Holiday bowl), and won a Cotton Bowl. Calvin Pace won 2 bowl games while at Wake. If anything, most our key players played for very good collegiate programs and are used to winning. They don't know how to handle the losing.

Q (Fla St)
Rolle (U)
Dockett (Fla St)
Davis (Texas)
Leinart (USC)
Deuce (USC)
Edge (U)
JJ Arrington (CAL)
Pope (UGA)
Leckey (Kans St)
Step (Ohio St)
Milford Brown (Fl St)
Bertrand (Notre Dame)
Lewis (Va Tech)
Dansby (Aub)
Watson (Mich)
Eric Green (Va Tech)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You know as well as Duckjake does that Texas measures success in two ways: Beating Oklahoma and winning national championships (am I missing something here, DJ?).

How many times did Leonard help Texas beat Oklahoma? Is 27-11 really an acceptable record at Texas in a four-year period?

Are you seriously--seriously--going to tell me that Wake Forest is a program on the level of Florida State, Auburn, or Georgia? Seriously? That the expectations for success and disappointment with failure is anywhere near comperable? Playing in a bowl game at all is a big deal for a losing program like Wake Forest or a down-and-out program like Ole Miss, but it's not enough for a program like Texas.

I'm not really sure what your point is, DF2. Apparently there are some players in the lockeroom that have decided to accept losing and go quietly into that good night. Do you really think that I don't know what colleges our players went to? And I don't know the difference between a football factory program and the Wake Forests and Indiana of Pennsylvanias?

What I'm saying is that if you want to find the players who don't mind losing, try looking at the players who went to programs for whom losing is a tradition.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Why Rolle? He says the right things and works his ass off. Getting beat isn't someone who doesn't try. Berry's calling out people who aren't giving it their best and don't care about losing. It is documented that Rolle hates this losing and was quoted in an article with Boldin about being very upset.

Dansby most definitely. Dockett maybe but he also is one who is very frustrated with the losing, though he seems to play for his girl in the stands quite often. Chike maybe..he had locker room issues in Seattle. Calvin Pace obviously with the quote in this thread is exactly the kind of stuff that Berry is talking about. BJ maybe, but from what is shown of him on miked segments and in Qtip he seems to be a talker in a good way, not a bad...a guy who keeps guys spirits up and is liked by others in the lockerroom. Ross and Davis half ass it, but I don't know if Berry is referencing Davis..if he is, good. It seems to me that Davis does not have the heart of a champion.

There are a lot of guys on this team...we can't even begin to understand really what it is like behind closed doors when no cameras are on. It would be nice to be a fly on that wall, but I bet we'd throw up to see it.

I agree, when Rolle or someone else in the secondary gets beat for a long play, it's usually Rolle that is trying to run the person down...he never gets their, but he's the only one trying.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Eric Green would definately be one of them, he is a me me guy.

The problem with this thread is it's going to turn into who don't YOU like or who is not any good, it maybe far from reality. They are much more likely to pick someone not their meeting on the field expectations during games.

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I think it is pretty tough to guess on who Berry is talking about because we really have no idea what goes on in the locker room behind closed doors.

To figure it's gotta be someone who is just playing poorly (like Rolle) or someone who seems a bit off (like Dockett) is purely speculative.

Hopefully whoever these guys are though they get their act together, but it's things like these that really come to the forefront when you are 1-7.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric Green would definately be one of them, he is a me me guy.

The problem with this thread is it's going to turn into who don't YOU like or who is not any good, it maybe far from reality. They are much more likely to pick someone not their meeting on the field expectations during games.

But he is actually one of the few players that are producing at or above expected level. Doubt that it is him either.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To defend Pace, this is a kid that played in a bowl game with a broken leg. doesn't strike me as a guy who doesn't care. I just don't beleive he's ever been at the right position. I think he should be competing with Okeafor at LDE and I've said that from the beginning. He's not skilled enough to be a RDE going against LT's, and he's not fast enough to be an OLB dropping into coverage. He's been effective rushing the passer when we move him around, but he's not a guy you can just lineup and get 10 sacks. That's not an attitude problem it's a talent problem.

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Obviously Reggie Wells ended up at a crappy program in college for a reason.
Do you really think that I don't know what colleges our players went to? And I don't know the difference between a football factory program and the Wake Forests and Indiana of Pennsylvanias?

What I'm saying is that if you want to find the players who don't mind losing, try looking at the players who went to programs for whom losing is a tradition.
Your words betray you...

Year
Coach W-L-T W/L Pct

2005-06
Frank Cignetti 5-5 .500
2004-05
Frank Cignetti 7-3 .700
2003-04
Frank Cignetti 10-1 .909
2002-03
Frank Cignetti 11-2 .846 Div. II Playoffs
2001-02
Frank Cignetti 8-2 .800 Div. II Playoffs
2000-01
Frank Cignetti 8-3 .727 Div. II Playoffs
1999-00
Frank Cignetti 9-4 .692 Div. II Playoffs
1998-99
Frank Cignetti 10-2 .833 Div. II Playoffs
1997-98
Frank Cignetti 5-5 .500
1996-97
1995-96
Frank Cignetti 8-3 .727
1994-95
Frank Cignetti 10-3 .769 Div. II Playoffs
1993-94
Frank Cignetti 13-1 .929 Div. II Playoffs
1992-93
Frank Cignetti 7-2-1 .750
1991-92
Frank Cignetti 12-1 .923 Div. II Playoffs
1990-91
Frank Cignetti 12-2 .857 Div. II Playoffs
1989-90
Frank Cignetti 11-2 .846 Div. II Playoffs
1988-89
1987-88
Frank Cignetti 10-2 .833 Div. II Playoffs
1986-87
Frank Cignetti 9-2 .818

By the way, LeRon McCoy went to IUP, Reggie Wells went to Clarion...

:cool:

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's all speculation. Nobody has any idea of who Berry was talking about. Everyone puts Dansby on the list and he's out there playing hurt.I would think that's giving a pretty good effort.And he's played pretty well when he's been in there. He may be one of the guys Berry is talking about but there is no basis to assume that he is one of them. Plus, you don't have to like the people you work with to be successful. Get out there and do your job. Wasn't it Kevan Barlow and the FB for SF(Beasley?) who absolutely couldn't stand each other? But he went out there and blocked for Barlow.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'll take Wake Forest over FSU this year :D . You can't reallly go by what college they went to. It's nice to have guys from winning programs but i think that has very little impact on how they will be as a professional football player. David Boston is a prime example. Played at OSU.Was a model player and never in any trouble. Great family and an all around good guy, so it seemed. Now look at him. Terry Glenn was as big a head case as was at OSU and he seems to have steadied himself and is a very professional type player now. I think it mainly has to do with the first NFL coach you have and if they instill the winning attitude and hard work that it takes to succeed at the NFL level. Cris Carter was basically a drunk until Buddy Ryan cut him and then he turned himslef around. Alot of coaches may have just looked the other way.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
heard Dockett on ESPN Radio last week and he was saying the same thing as what Berry said. Said there are a lot of guys who don't care about winning and have badd attitudes. Aslo said they don't buy into Denny's system and style of coaching.

Cardinal players have been saying similar things for as long as the team has been in Arizona. It's always some nameless group of players.

The team cleans house, brings in a complete new group of players and the cycle starts again.

What are there like 8 guys on the team that were in AZ before Green took over? How could there be a "lot" of guys who don't buy into Denny's system and style of coaching when Green brought most of them to Phoenix?

Rod Graves or Michael Bidwill are making all personnel decisions and not Denny?????

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you still have the Chicago game on TIVO, or tape, watch Berry introduce the defense. I don't think Okeafor is one of the guys on his "s-list".

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinal players have been saying similar things for as long as the team has been in Arizona. It's always some nameless group of players.

The team cleans house, brings in a complete new group of players and the cycle starts again.

What are there like 8 guys on the team that were in AZ before Green took over? How could there be a "lot" of guys who don't buy into Denny's system and style of coaching when Green brought most of them to Phoenix?

Rod Graves or Michael Bidwill are making all personnel decisions and not Denny?????

Simeon Rice said almost identical things when he was here. Yet, he was the most notorious guy on the D for taking off practices and plays during games. This is what happens when teams lose. Players start looking at others as being the problem rather than themselves. Berry has plenty to criticize of his own play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simeon Rice said almost identical things when he was here. Yet, he was the most notorious guy on the D for taking off practices and plays during games. This is what happens when teams lose. Players start looking at others as being the problem rather than themselves. Berry has plenty to criticize of his own play.

yep. Remember the camp where Eric Swann ripped Simeon for missing preseason and camp every year with some injury or illness and complained about his offseason pro basketball fun? And yet a lot of guys considered Swann to be a bad influence himself, I never bought it the guy played with such severe knee pain for years but everyone ripped him for not playing with that finger(thumb?) injury.

When things go bad, players do this. Berry is enough of a leader to do it but as someone else said, other than Oakland and Chicago what has he done on the field this year himself?

I did think it's funny that Cooper has been here about a month and is already calling out Dansby, unless it's taken out of context or somethign it sure implies guys are down on Karlos.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Davis never one anything when he was in Texas.

You're wrong.

Leonard played on his Class A high school basketball team which won the state championship in 1997.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Guess #1 <Insert name here>
Guess #2 <Insert name here>
Guess #3 <Insert name here>
Guess #4 <Insert name here>

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here is my Theory, I just watched the 2004 Cards yearbook, that defense straight overachieved. There was also I remember Defense team meetings and BBQ's at Berrys house. That Defense in 2004 you could tell left it all on the Field, you could tell they went all out. So, here is the Depth chart I found on them, I'm not sure how close it is to correct

LE 94 Peppi Zellner 67 Antonion Smith
UT 90 Darnell Dockett 72 Ross Kolodziej
NT 98 Russell Davis 91 Wendell Bryant
RE 92 Bertrand Berry 97 Calvin Pace
SLB 58 Karlos Dansby 56 LeVar Woods
MLB 57 Ronald McKinnon 54 Gerald Hayes
WLB 51 James Darling 55 Ray Thompson
LCB 21 Renaldo Hill 28 Duane Starks
RCB 27 David Macklin 26 Robert Tate
SS 24 Adrian Wilson 44 Michael Stone
FS 25 Ifeanyi Ohalete

Ok since then you could see who has come and gone from this Group and who has replaced them. I say Chike, Clancy, Huff, Rolle, Green are they the guys breaking the Defense up???

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I gotta ask you guys. Hearing todays comments made me realze we are destined to get the first pick. The entire team has quit. So with the three best prospects being a QB (Quinn) RB (Peterson) and WR (Calvin Johnson) is it inevitable we trade down with a team that needs a QB? Or do we draft Peterson? (theres no circumstance i see the other guys getting drafted). I guess this really just depends on the coach.

BOBBY PETRINO IN 07!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trade down and draft an entire offensive line.

OP
OP
100%CardsFan

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
I wonder it this helps..................

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Arizona Cardinals held there final practice of the week Thursday morning and ffter a tough eight weeks, the Cardinals will have the opportunity to rest and heal durign their bye weekend before kicking off the second half of the season on November 12th against Dallas at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale. Check out how some of your favorite Cardinals players will be spending their bye week.

Fullback Obafemi Ayanbadejo

“My plan is to go see my kids. I got a twelve-week old that just started smiling two weeks ago, so I gotta go see that. I also have a 23 month old who is saying, “Daddy win,” which is pretty awesome. I am going to workout a little bit and hit some weights.”

Safety/Special Teams Hanik Milligan

“I am just going to get some rest and try to see what I can do to get better for the second half of the season. I just got to see what I can do to help improve the team.”

Offensive Lineman Deuce Lutui

“Probably some yard work. I have a lawn that is as big as (Alex) Stepanovich’s hair, so I need to cut it. Also my wife is about to pop, she is nine months so I have a pager and if I see code 911, I have to drop everything and leave.”

Defensive Tackle Gabe Watson

“Go back and see my family in Michigan. It has been awhile since I have seen them. I have a new niece and another one on the way so I just want to go home and relax.”

Linebacker Gerald Hayes

“I am just going to go home and clear up my mind and get ready for the second half of the season.”

Linebacker Orlando Huff

“Relax. Go home and relax and try to heal some of these bumps and bruises and get ready for Dallas.”

Linebacker Darryl Blackstock

“Go back to Virginia and check out my high school.”

Quarterback Kurt Warner

“Just spending time with the family. I am going to get a chance to go and watch one of my sons’ football games which are on Saturday mornings, so I have missed them most of the year. Maybe a get away with the family, but I am probably just staying here with the kids and relaxing.”

Tight End Leonard Pope

“I am going to go back to Georgia, to my hometown (Americus) and chill with my family members. Try to make up for the time I haven’t been with them.”

Offensive Lineman Reggie Wells

“Go back east to Pittsburgh and go up to school (Clarion) and watch my buddy’s last home game. I really just lay low until I have to come back.”

Offensive Lineman Milford Brown

“I am going home to (Montgomery) Alabama to see my family and relax.”

Long Snapper Nathan Hodel

“I am turning one of our rooms into a play room for our daughter and soon to be son, so that is what I will be doing all weekend.”

Linebacker Calvin Pace

“Going home and laying low. Just relaxing and getting my mind off football because it really isn’t healthy to think about football everyday of the week.”

Defensive End Bertrand Berry

“Try to rest and get ready for the second half of the season.”

Defensive End Antonio Smith

“Try to regroup and come back with a new image and refresh myself.” [/FONT]

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I don't think it was coincidence that when Seattle got rid of Huff and Okeafor they went to the superbowl.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan