Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Writer on Clash of the Titans Remake
Source: Variety
May 1, 2006

Warner Bros. Pictures has hired screenwriter Travis Beacham to pen a remake of the 1981 cult classic Clash of the Titans, says Variety. Basil Iwanyk's Thunder Road is producing.

In 2002, Warners tapped John Glenn and Travis Adam Wright to pen the script. Beacham said he is writing a new script, and that he intends the redo to be darker and more realistic than MGM's "Clash."

The storyline will still revolve around Perseus' journey to save the Princess Andromeda, during which he must complete various tasks set out by Zeus, including capturing Pegasus and slaying Medusa.

The original marked the final film on which Ray Harryhausen did special effects, as well as the last in a string of films he produced with Charles Schneer.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Funny, I just watched this on TV again two weeks ago and wondered if anyone would consider a remake.

Maybe the remake will follow the myth a little more closely. I believe in the myth Perseus killed Medusa by throwing his shield at her head as opposed to using a sword to chop it off.

I saw Clash of the Titan's in the Theater when i was in 3rd grade. I loved it!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
For once, a remake that makes sense. If ever a movie needed better special effects, it's this one! Jason and the Argonauts was far superior!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This was one of my favorite movies as a kid, I watched it a few years ago and was all ----> :|

Harry Hamlin made me feel wierd

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Stout said:
For once, a remake that makes sense. If ever a movie needed better special effects, it's this one! Jason and the Argonauts was far superior!
I think Tron also falls in this category...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Norrington Returns to Direct Titans
Source: Variety
December 14, 2007

Steve Norrington, who hasn't directed a film since 2003's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, will direct Clash of the Titans, the remake of the 1981 mythical adventure that is best remembered for Ray Harryhausen's special effects.

Warner Bros. and Legendary are plotting a production start next year, reports Variety.

Basil Iwanyk will produce through his Thunder Road. In his first such effort since The Empire Strikes Back, Lawrence Kasdan rewrote a script by Travis Beacham.

:jedi:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great movie that I must have watched 100 times as a kid.

I see no reason to remake it. Unless of course they decide to add more nude scenes!

:devil:

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I love this film! I saw it and Dragon Slayer as a double feature with my dad when I was super young. It could be a decent remake.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EcranLarge.com has posted a new video interview with The Incredible Hulk director Louis Leterrier in which he talks about taking on the Clash of the Titans remake at Warner Bros. Pictures.

(With English subtitles) Interview

The project is based on the 1981 mythical adventure film about the myth of Perseus. To win the right to marry his love (Andromeda) and fufill his destiny, Perseus must complete various quests and battle both Medusa and the Kraken monster in order to save the Princess Andromeda.

--------------------------------------

Leterrier - interesting choice. Imagine what the action scenes will look like ! :eek:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Okay, another original to add to my list of movies to watch. Never saw it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Tron also falls in this category...

Actually I disagree. The technology in TRON sort of matched the technology of the time. I would prefer they make a sequel using today's technology. That way the original movie is still relevant.

They could do a complete remake using today's FX but I don't want to see that as much as a sequel.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes will play warring gods in Warner Bros. and Legendary's Clash of the Titans, the Greek-god epic directed by Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk).

Neeson is playing Zeus, the wise yet sometimes ill-tempered king of the gods and father of Perseus (Sam Worthington).

Fiennes will play Hades, ruler of the underworld who aims to overtake Zeus and rule over all. Fiennes' deal is in still in negotiations.

The two actors join Mads Mikkelsen, Gemma Arterton and Alexa Davalos in the production, which begins shooting later this month in the U.K.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original was only watchable if you watched it through the eyes of a 7-year-old boy. Otherwise, it was UNBEARABLY AWFUL. I was 12 and wanted to walk out. And I sat all the way through Under the Rainbow that sat year, so I wasn't a tough critic!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sad to say I was massively disappointed with this one. My initial fear was realized. There was no reason to remake the original classic. The original had a great epic feel with the perfect amount of cheese.

While the overall plot of the current version was similar, they made way too many changes to the story. In fact the entire story didn't flow well at all. All of the great humor from the original was lost. The visual effects were distracting most of the time. IMO it was a steaming pile of dung and to top it off... zero nudity. :mad:

Save a few bucks and wait for it to come out on Cable.
dcr.gif

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm sad to say I was massively disappointed with this one. My initial fear was realized. There was no reason to remake the original classic. The original had a great epic feel with the perfect amount of cheese.

While the overall plot of the current version was similar, they made way too many changes to the story. In fact the entire story didn't flow well at all. All of the great humor from the original was lost. The visual effects were distracting most of the time. IMO it was a steaming pile of dung and to top it off... zero nudity. :mad:

Save a few bucks and wait for it to come out on Cable.
dcr.gif

That seems to be the prevailing opinion. The movie just isn't interesting or fun. And if Clash of the Titans isn't fun regardless of whether it's a bad movie or not, then it's a failure.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The review in my paper recommended NOT seeing it in 3D. they said the movie was originally a 2D movie but with all the 3D movies out they decided this movie would be perfect for 3D so they reshot a bunch of scenes and added others for the specific purpose of making it 3D. he said the end result looks like a film with a bunch of superfluous 3D stuff tossed in.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
The original was only watchable if you watched it through the eyes of a 7-year-old boy. Otherwise, it was UNBEARABLY AWFUL. I was 12 and wanted to walk out. And I sat all the way through Under the Rainbow that sat year, so I wasn't a tough critic!

Great point. I have not seen this movie since I was about that age. I LOVED COTT as a kid (along with 'Cloak n' Dagger') though I am not sure how they would stand up now - particularly to me as an adult as opposed to me as a kid. I'm probably most interested in leaving these two in the memory banks as the fantastic memories that they are and not ruin 'em by watching them now. However, I cannot shake the subtle, lingering curiosity to see COTT. Must resist....

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
he said the end result looks like a film with a bunch of superfluous 3D stuff tossed in.

Funny I watched it in 2D and thought the same thing. Only I was thinking it may have been better in 3D because those scenes looked comically bad in 2D.

Movie was pretty bad. Didn't feel like there was any reason to care about what happened to anyone. May as well just have the kracken lay waste to everything for 2 hours and call it a day.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I enjoyed it... The theater was packed and I didn't hear any bad comments... They did take quite a few liberties changing things but if I can handle the changes in BSG I can handle these.

They had the owl (Obo??) cameo in it which I thought was funny...

Loved the battle with the giant scorpions!!! Didn't like the Djinni's...

Next up should be 'Jason and the Argonaughts'....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan