CNN.SI.com Suns article

fordronken

Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/chris_mannix/08/19/suns/index.html

Script changes
Offseason moves rewrite Suns' plan of attack
Posted: Friday August 19, 2005 12:20PM; Updated: Friday August 19, 2005 12:42PM

Kurt Thomas
Almost more important than the defense he'll bring, Kurt Thomas will allow Amare Stoudemire to move from the center position.

Through 62 regular-season wins and two playoff rounds the Suns were a high-octane machine, posting the best scoring average in the NBA in 10 years and playing with a free-flowing style and flair not seen since the days of the Showtime Lakers.

At the end of the day -- and the Western Conference finals -- Phoenix's fun-and-gun style could not measure up to the disciplined play of San Antonio's Spurs, who put the hammer down on Phoenix in five games on their way to an eventual NBA championship.

So when this summer began, Phoenix GM Bryan Colangelo had two options: he could maintain the status quo and let his Suns take their chances in the West again next season with a revved up offense with no real defensive presence to speak of; or he could revamp his roster, break up a contending team that filled the seats (Suns attendance averaged 17,639 last season.) in favor of a more traditional lineup that paralleled the physical nature of the Western Conference.

Much like his team did last season, Colangelo didn't sit still.

With the trade of long-distance threat Quentin Richardson to New York and the pending departure of Joe Johnson to Atlanta, Phoenix will go into the 2005-06 campaign with a roster markedly different from the one that scored 110 points a game last season. Kurt Thomas, a rugged rebounder and adequate mid-range shooter who arrived in return for Richardson immediately becomes the Suns starting center, initiating a domino effect that bumps Amare Stoudemire to the power forward slot and Shawn Marion to small forward. Brian Grant, an amnesty casualty of the Lakers who signed this week, steps in as Thomas' backup. Grant may have had his worst season as a professional last year with the Lakers, but he's still a career 7.6 per game rebounder who is unafraid of mixing it up underneath.

Johnson's defection won't be so easy to fill at shooting guard. Michael Finley, an amnesty cut by the Mavericks, is Phoenix's first choice to replace Johnson, but league sources believe Finley is headed for an Eastern Conference team; despite the allure of returning to Phoenix (where Finley played from '95-97), the Suns can only offer the 6-foot-7 guard the veteran minimum of $500,000.

Phoenix's fallback is Raja Bell, a free agent from Utah who agreed to a 5-year, $24 million deal to move to the desert. Bell is not the perimeter threat Richardson is and isn't as versatile as Johnson, but he does bring the Suns a different quality: defense. Bell has a reputation as a hard-nosed defender, so much so that upon hearing of Bell's signing, Spurs swingman Manu Ginobili reportedly called his agent to gripe about Phoenix's acquiring one of his least favorite defenders.

In casting aside two-fifths of the starting lineup, everyone from Suns fans to coach Mike D'Antoni must be wondering if the club can continue to play the style to which they had become accustomed?

I don't see it. While the additions of Thomas and Grant undoubtedly will toughen up the Suns' interior, it also removes two of the bullets from the Suns' offensive chamber. Last year Phoenix had five guys who each could outrun their counterpart down the other end of the court. Grant, whose chronic knee problems plagued him in L.A., and Thomas would have trouble outrunning D'Antoni. Likewise Stoudemire and Marion, who easily outpaced fives and fours respectively, will find their once wide-open lanes becoming considerably clustered by more athletic forwards.

True, Steve Nash will still be running the show, but even the reigning MVP will encounter some problems. Despite losing in six games to the Suns in the conference semifinals Dallas took much of the teeth out of Phoenix's attack by employing a strategy that others are likely to mimic this fall -- allow Nash the ball -- and make him keep it. Nash rang up 121 points in the last three games against the Mavericks, and even though Phoenix won two of those games, the margins of victory were decidedly closer than in the series' first three contests.

And when Nash does manage to find an open teammate next season, an assist will be far from assured. Richardson made a league-high 226 3-pointers last year while Johnson was the NBA's runner up in accuracy, shooting 47.8 percent from beyond the arc. Bell, who averaged a career high 12.3 points last season with Utah, is a career 37.7 percent from long range.

This fall will be a trying time for the Suns. In addition to incorporating a confluence of different styles, Phoenix will be saddled with the additional burden of enticing Stoudemire to re-sign after this season. Should Phoenix falter or should Stoudemire be thrust back into the center position (a spot he loathes and cites as a factor in his happiness), he could sign Phoenix's one-year qualifying offer after '06, knowing that the Lakers, with their bevy of expiring contracts coming off the books in '07, will be waiting in the wings. It's a burden, to be sure, one the Suns may not be able to bear.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
fordronken said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/chris_mannix/08/19/suns/index.html

And when Nash does manage to find an open teammate next season, an assist will be far from assured. Richardson made a league-high 226 3-pointers last year while Johnson was the NBA's runner up in accuracy, shooting 47.8 percent from beyond the arc. Bell, who averaged a career high 12.3 points last season with Utah, is a career 37.7 percent from long range.

i love creative writing. the author fails to provide richardson's long range percentage, which is lower than bell's career percentage. and then he quotes losing jj's shooting ability citing his 47.8% for LAST SEASON and cites bells' CAREER 37.7% instead of his 40% from LAST SEASON, which is a bit closer to jj's production. but anything to make a point, even if it's a wrong one, right?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Creative statistics, it's an art form.

A running team is not all about the speed of the players. Richardson is no burner. It is about passing and getting the ball up the floor in a hurry.
To run you have to rebound and that was a problem for the Suns last year.

They are clearly better in that area. Run and gun is not dead.

The media pundits have consistantly been wrong about the Suns in the past year. I think the Suns will continue to prove them wrong.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Suns get Finley and we are the favorites along with SA for the championship.

Imagine this lineup.

Thomas
Amare
Marion
Finley
Nash

Key Reserves:

JJax at SF
Bell at SG
Grant at C
Barbosa at PG
Padgett at PF

Very solid all around, with combinations if we need to mix it up. This team just got really old quick. Hopefully Bell can have a break out year so we can insert some youth into the lineup at SG

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i love creative writing. the author fails to provide richardson's long range percentage, which is lower than bell's career percentage. and then he quotes losing jj's shooting ability citing his 47.8% for LAST SEASON and cites bells' CAREER 37.7% instead of his 40% from LAST SEASON, which is a bit closer to jj's production. but anything to make a point, even if it's a wrong one, right?

LOL. You beat me to the punch on that one.

What a wonderful manipulation of stats. :rolleyes:

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Suns get Finley and we are the favorites along with SA for the championship.

Imagine this lineup.

Thomas
Amare
Marion
Finley
Nash

Key Reserves:

JJax at SF
Bell at SG
Grant at C
Barbosa at PG
Padgett at PF

Very solid all around, with combinations if we need to mix it up. This team just got really old quick. Hopefully Bell can have a break out year so we can insert some youth into the lineup at SG

Bell a youth at SG??? Bell is almost 30. That's not exactly what I'd call young.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
Bell a youth at SG??? Bell is almost 30. That's not exactly what I'd call young.

Hell for Suns fans 30 is like a teenager. Most these guys love the old ass players from Dream team II like Gary Payton.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Why don't we get Gary Payton, Vin Baker, Latrell Spreewell, Dikembe Mutombo, and Alonzo Mourning. We would have an all 1998 Dream team. Too bad it's 2005.

Silverbullet

Reaction score
We may be older but I do think we are a hell of alot better upfront and we will see with fins. I believe we will be a much improved rebounding team and moving Marion back to the 3 I think will be huge. I think overall the Suns are a better team and more playoff ready.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
In the playoffs, being able to stop a team from scoring will win you more games than outright trying to outscore a team while not being able to stop them from scoring. In the latter scenario, you hope to have the ball last to win the hopefully tied or very closely scored game. I think we may be able to stop a few guys come playoff time now. ;)

As good as San Antonio seems to be, they have lots of minutes where they have trouble scoring. Even as high powered an offense as we were supposed to be last season, we had those moments in every game, too. The difference between us and San Antonio, is they would maintain the lead with their defence while we would let teams back into games. ;)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Raja will be 29 in Sept.

There is always a tradeoff between athleticism of youth and the experience of older players. Look at the championship teams over the past several years and I suspect you will find their average age to be higher than the lower tier playoff teams.

As for athleticism, the Suns approach was never about raw athleticism but pace. The Suns pushed the pace and ran harder than other teams were used to. The Suns did not play guys who couldnt run, but Marion was probably the only guy with sprinter speed.

With older guys, the issue will be how many minutes they can play. Like with Nash, I think it is crucial to have quality players off the bench and not try to run everybody 40 minutes a game.

cly2tw

Reaction score
People tend to overlook the fact that last year's success was actually a big surprise, kind of like an accident. Without anybody having a clear idea how Joe would do in a new situation like that, we just tried to amass as much talent as possible with the rare chance of having that amount of cap space.

Right at the beginning of the season, we realized that we couldn't succeed with conventional ball with two bigs, since Amare was really a bad defender and nobody else could be a dominant defensive force in the middle that were adequate on the offense. So, we tried to cover our ass there by playing to our strength the smallball, which was possible with Nash and the athletism on the team. We were only exposed in the WCF series by a far superior Spurs team.

Anyway, this explains why we underutilized Q and made him a volume 3-pt shooter. Now, with the maturation of Amare we have a much better idea of what we are capable of with the core of Amare-Nash we traded and signed for pieces that ensures that we can play normal ball as well as skill ball anytime we want with the proper, complementary personels, KT, Bell, Grant, Burke. JJ's departure may be a bit of a surprise but it might be a blessing under disguise in the end, both for the Suns and for him personally. (I really hope he pans out for the Hawks.) Now we have two stars with a bunch of good fitting role players, I'm really excited about the coming season.

Assume a starting lineup with Amare/KT/Marion/Bell/Nash, as long as Nash is not tired we should be able to play good man-defense to cover Amare's weakness at help-D. And both KT and Grant are exactly those kind of savvy vets that are optimal at helping out in that respect too. So, defensively, only Miami and Houston may cause any real trouble for our bigs. As to fastbreak, we may indeed be even faster than last year as Bell is quicker than both Q and Joe. Actually, I miss Q's under-basket savvy moves even more than Joe's dull 18-footers. And Diaw is supposedly faster too, not to mention James Jones. So, now everybody knowing the exact pecking order and their roles, we will win the title this year. I guarantee you guys this! :thumbup:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns shouldn't have to give up a huge amount for James Jones and he certainly fits the profile of what the Suns want - athletes who can shoot the three.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05