Collective Rebounding

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
It's not a secret to learn the Suns were a poor rebounding team in the D'Antoni era. What I find surprising is just how much better the team was last season even after getting rid of of Shaq.

Season SUNS OPPON Net
2004-05 3619 3783 <164>
2005-06 3428 3763 <355>
2006-07 3320 3512 <192>
2007-08 3403 3599 <196>
2008-09 3420 3345 75
2009-10 3526 3472 54

Whjt made last year's team so much better was how many players hit the boards

Hill 5.5 rebounds per game
J-Rich 5.1
Dudley 3.3
Nash 3.3

By having a 10 man rotation, the Suns got rebounds from both backup bigs:

Lopez 4.9 in 51 games
Amundson 4.4 in 79 games

IMHO, the Stats in the D'Antoni period were distorted by the tendency of Marion to leak out on the break. Amare as not that good a rebounder, so opponet rebounds in the D'Antoni period was out of control.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IIRC, when Lopez was inserted into the starting line-up, it had a significant, positive effect on our + - rebounds/game.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, Lopez is being counted on to do a lot this season. If he lives up to their expectations, he could do exceptioanlly well.

Hayduke

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, Lopez is being counted on to do a lot this season. If he lives up to their expectations, he could do exceptioanlly well.

Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man – and I'm talkin' about the Rolo here – sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man – and I'm talkin' about the Rolo here – sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there.

Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a (blank) about the rebounds? Mark it single digit boards for Rolo!

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a (blank) about the rebounds? Mark it single digit boards for Rolo!

Steve

10p 9r and 2.5 blocks would be a very good year for Lopez. No way he breaks double digits in boards. He will get alot more minutes without Amare around.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10p 9r and 2.5 blocks would be a very good year for Lopez. No way he breaks double digits in boards. He will get alot more minutes without Amare around.

Please note that the animation in my post was a continuation of The Big Lebowski theme started by Hayduke. I really don't hold THAT strong of an opinion. I hope Robin can get close to double digits but without another true big guy playing next to him he might get dominated out there. That's not a prediction, merely a concern.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Please note that the animation in my post was a continuation of The Big Lebowski theme started by Hayduke. I really don't hold THAT strong of an opinion. I hope Robin can get close to double digits but without another true big guy playing next to him he might get dominated out there. That's not a prediction, merely a concern.

Steve
I think it's a reasonable prediction. There will be too many games where we'll be outmanned up front with one big.

Or if Frye continues to get big minutes at Center (to justify his salary), zero bigs.

If our wings have to provide the bulk of the rebounding, collective rebounding will just be a code name for bringing up the rear (literally).

Errntknght

Reaction score
Robin came on quite strong in rebounding last year once he was starting. Believe it or not, he was a scant .2 behind Amare in rebounds per 40 minutes and the whole team seemed to benefit from his presence, as somebody already pointed out.

Its not him I'm worried about but we did lose our two best rebounders in Amundson and Amare (11.8/40 & 10.3/40, resp.) and replaced them with two weak sisters Hedo (6.0/40) and Warrick (8.0/40). If Lawal doesn't come on strong we are going to be in a world of hurt... sheesh, we might find ourselves wishing we had Jarron Collins back. Yikes, how bad is Hedo... our entire team average 7.1 rebounds per 40 minutes...

Last edited: