Combine Talk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Shaquem killing it. But man missing a hand is a tough thing for a linebacker. IN doing the drop drill he had almost no chance of catching the ball as he came back on it.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shaquem killing it. But man missing a hand is a tough thing for a linebacker. IN doing the drop drill he had almost no chance of catching the ball as he came back on it.

I try to wondering if there is a position in football where u can play without a hand
Outside of kicker, its just the linebacker position

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I knew Josey Jewell wouldn’t test well in the combine. If he’s there in the 3rd round, he’ll be a steal. He’s a tackling machine who plays faster than his 40 suggests.

Another guy that impressed me was Josh Sweat. His lower body explosion could lead to him getting a lot of speed sacks around the outside. I don’t think we’d draft him since he’ll probably go day 2 in the draft.

Some late rounders I like from today were:
Ade Aruna Tulane (project OLB)
Andrew Brown Virginia (undervalued 3 technique)
Skai Moore South Carolina(tackling machine)

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From Sports Illustrated...

Barkleymania. Penn State running back Saquon Barkley put some distance between himself and the field for the best player in the draft. “He’s the best running back prospect I’ve seen in 25 years,” Saints coach Sean Payton told me. Another team, which had given only four draft prospects perfect grades in the last 20 years, told me Barkley is the fifth.

Top 10? Asked several GMs/scouts/coaches for their top 10 in the draft as of today. Here’s the consensus, in an order close to this: Barkley, USC QB Sam Darnold, North Carolina State pass-rusher Bradley Chubb, Allen, Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield, UCLA QB Josh Rosen, Notre Dame G Quenton Nelson, Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Ohio State CB Denzel Ward, Georgia LB Roquan Smith.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/05/nfl-combine-2018-news-josh-rosen-shaquem-griffin-mmqb-peter-king

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LB Shaquem Griffen...unofficial 4.38 40 at 6'1 227. What a combine!

I have had the Cardinals taking him in all of my mocks around the fourth round. Now it looks like he may be a second or third rounder. Still worth it as this kid is something special. He was the heart and soul of the UCF defense.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

My wife is a UCF alum and we watch as many games as we can. I'm telling you the missing hand is no issue for this kid. He just continues to make plays all over the field. Yes catching the ball may be a problem but how many INTs does a LB really get.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Keim on Shaquem Griffin:

Cardinals general manager Steve Keim spoke more specifically to Griffin's attributes, saying it's about being creative with the talent you have on your roster.

"You have to admire the type of success he's had already with that impairment," Keim said. "But I think when you look at certain players like that, there is something to be said for what is in their heart. It's something you'd have to talk to the trainers about and see what his restrictions would be moving forward. Again, putting players in a position to succeed, that would be a key—can he do the things we ask him to do?"

Keim's words were intriguing, because the Cardinals have been outside-the-box thinkers when it comes to defensive players; they like hybrid guys who can do multiple things, and they have a specific precedent that could point to NFL success for Griffin.