Compairing Bells numbers to Q's

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Exactly don't let sports talk radio hosts led anyone to believe otherwise, these are the guys who complete a team they wont get the glory but the will do their job. The gary paytons and Karl Malones have never been in and will never accept these types of roles in the long run..

actually the local guys on AM 1060 were THRILLED with Raja Bell.

Bob Kemp said getting Raja was the best move.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing people seem to missing in this analysis is Raja Bell is not taking Q's spot in the lineup. Joe Johnson is. With a four-man combination of Nash, Joe Johnson, Raja Bell, and Jim Jackson, you're talking about a much improved lineup. Those are four guys who can handle the ball, hit the mid-range J for a high percentage, and three of them play competent to good defense. Dijon Thompson is another player with that kind of game.

Q's defense did not aggravate me like others. The Suns handicap their guards by stretching their wings in an a defense that sags too much. Instead of preventing penetration, they created paths to the hoop along the edges of the lanes. What drove me crazy was Q's inability to hit a 16-foot jumper off the dribble. If he could have done that, he'd be every bit as valuable as JJ. He could create his own shot, he just couldn't hit it. Those days are gone.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
BEERZ said:
JJ(who I think will be a much bigger focal point next year after Amare).

I agree JJ will probably be option 2 next year, but I hope they run some more plays for Marion. Especially when he has a bigger, slower forward on him. He can pull them out to the 3 pt line, or drive by them. I'd also like to see a few more plays run for him just to keep his morale up.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Yeah, nice pickup. We essentially were able to replace Q with little better defense.

As someone noted before FA offsets lobsided looking trades. So if you really wanted to look at the Q trade in context to bringing a player to replace him, the deal becomes Thomas, Thompson and Bell for Q and Robinson. I would to that deal, and Folster had the insights that the Suns saw it that way as well.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
My read on it is that Bell looks to be a much better fit on the Suns than Q. I expect Q to do well in NY, but I expect Bell to do better than Q in doing what the Suns need.

That is my read on it as well and I think Nash might have had the ear of the organization. As much a Q added this year I Bell will add next year by good shot selection and more on the ball the defense.

Q has admitted that would rather bang down low than play on the perimeter, that is at least what he said in his news conference anyhow.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
As someone noted before FA offsets lobsided looking trades. So if you really wanted to look at the Q trade in context to bringing a player to replace him, the deal becomes Thomas, Thompson and Bell for Q and Robinson. I would to that deal, and Folster had the insights that the Suns saw it that way as well.
Well we had the mid level either way so I wouldnt really add Bell into that equation.

But we are a better team now IMO. Although in a perfect world we would of been able to keep Nate as our backup PG and then I would be REALLY excited. Oh well.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
the deal becomes Thomas, Thompson and Bell for Q and Robinson.

Not quite. The deal is Thomas, Thompson and Bell for Richardson, Robinson, and the big man that would have been signed with Bell's money. Still a good swap for the Suns, probably, but not a home run.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
the deal becomes Thomas, Thompson and Bell for Q and Robinson.

Not quite. The deal is Thomas, Thompson and Bell for Richardson, Robinson, and the big man that would have been signed with Bell's money. Still a good swap for the Suns, probably, but not a home run.

If Folster had wind that Barbosa might get traded, it may be for the big man you desire. Barbosa and Bell are now kind of redundant.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
If Folster had wind that Barbosa might get traded, it may be for the big man you desire. Barbosa and Bell are now kind of redundant.

Maybe. In any case, if Barbosa can learn to become a passable point guard (pardon the pun), his quickness could be a huge plus. Tony Parker was a lot more experienced before he came to the NBA and it took him a while to become reasonably good. If anything, Barbosa is even quicker and has very long arms.

If Barbosa can learn to keep his hands off his man and just play defense, he could be come very good. I like the idea of being able to use him with Bell and JJ in a lockdown defense at some point.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Maybe. In any case, if Barbosa can learn to become a passable point guard (pardon the pun), his quickness could be a huge plus. Tony Parker was a lot more experienced before he came to the NBA and it took him a while to become reasonably good. If anything, Barbosa is even quicker and has very long arms.

If Barbosa can learn to keep his hands off his man and just play defense, he could be come very good. I like the idea of being able to use him with Bell and JJ in a lockdown defense at some point.

This is true, however, if your goal is to win now, and you see an unproven player possibly having to play big minutes during crunch time, you've got to shudder if you're BC. thus, i'd have to say that if he could package barbosa and a future 1 to get either a trustworthy backup pg or backup c, he'd do it.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
speaking of that, here's something not very likely, but tell me what you think:

Suns Trade:
Voskuhl $1.95M/1 yr
Barbosa $930k/1 yr
Next Year's #1

Bucks Trade:
Mo Williams $1.76/2 yrs
Reece Gaines $1.26/1 yr

Mo Williams:
22 yrs old, will be 3rd yr player. 10pts/6ast/3rbs in 28 min/gm as a starter. Shot 43.8%, 32% from 3.

If the Bucks get back TJ Ford, as they expect, Mo Williams might not be so precious to them. Perhaps getting a #1 back in return might make them listen. Mo Williams is a definite pg, and a guy that could spell Nash very well. Gaines is filler of course. The Bucks not only get a guy that's equally young in Barbosa, but get a future pick out of it.

Still not likely, i know, but good trade for the suns if it were to happen?

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
playstation said:
speaking of that, here's something not very likely, but tell me what you think:

Suns Trade:
Voskuhl $1.95M/1 yr
Barbosa $930k/1 yr
Next Year's #1

Bucks Trade:
Mo Williams $1.76/2 yrs
Reece Gaines $1.26/1 yr

Mo Williams:
22 yrs old, will be 3rd yr player. 10pts/6ast/3rbs in 28 min/gm as a starter. Shot 43.8%, 32% from 3.

If the Bucks get back TJ Ford, as they expect, Mo Williams might not be so precious to them. Perhaps getting a #1 back in return might make them listen. Mo Williams is a definite pg, and a guy that could spell Nash very well. Gaines is filler of course. The Bucks not only get a guy that's equally young in Barbosa, but get a future pick out of it.

Still not likely, i know, but good trade for the suns if it were to happen?

I haven't seen him much, but I'm not particularly interested in Mo Williams and Reece Gaines is completely dead weight.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like Maurice Williams reasonably well, but giving up both Barbosa and a #1 is too high a price for someone who isn't going to play much. For that matter, I doubt the Bucks are ready to give up on him.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see picking up a guy on a veteran contract (though probably not GP) to give the Suns a fallback, but I can't see making a trade for someone who is unlikely to beat out JJ as backup.

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
If Voskuhl and Barbosa get traded together, it should almost certainly be for a big man. We have more options at PG right now than we do at center. There is also a better chance of getting a quality (albeit older) back-up PG like Darrell Armstrong with the LLE than the options of bigs for that price.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dustbuster said:
If Voskuhl and Barbosa get traded together, it should almost certainly be for a big man. We have more options at PG right now than we do at center. There is also a better chance of getting a quality (albeit older) back-up PG like Darrell Armstrong with the LLE than the options of bigs for that price.

Amen.

Besides, I don't believe that Jake Voskuhl and Barbosa have positive trade valued together. If anything their trade value is just even. Barbosa would offset (barely) Jake Voskuhl's salary. I say just keep them. Nobody is going to give up a quality player for these two even if the Phoenix Suns throw in a first-round draft pick. I think the age limit and the fact that they Phoenix Suns draft pick is likely to be #25-30 means the pick isn't as valuable as usual.

Joe Mama