Compare Cards' trade down with others

dbcard74

Reaction score
If you think the Cardinals gave up too much to the Saints in their trade, all you have to do is look at how the five other first-round trades went to find plenty of proof.

The Jets moved up to No. 4. The Bears got two firsts and a fourth.

The Patriots moved up to No 13. The Bears got their first and their sixth.

The Eagles moved up to No. 15. San Diego got their first and a second.

The Steelers moved up to No. 16. Kansas City got their first, a third and a sixth.

The Ravens moved up to No. 19. The Patriots got their first and a first in 2004.

See a pattern?

Teams wanting to move up should be good news for teams wanting to move down, because it's time to take them to the cleaners. Like the Chargers giving the Cards a future No. 1 and more to move up one spot four years ago. Or the Saints giving Washington their whole draft to move up to get Ricky Williams.

So if the Cards had traded their No. 6 for the Saints' No. 17 and No. 18, that's the way to play that game. But to also drop down 17 spots in the second round and throw in a fourth-rounder, the Cards didn't take anybody to the cleaners. Even putting a positive spin on it, at the best it's a push. And at the worst it was the Cardinals who got taken to the cleaners.

Not the way to play the game. You make teams anxious to move up pay BIG. Or you don't make the trade.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
You're right.

I've got a feeling the it was actually the Cards that were shopping the 6th pick ,and had to SELL the saints on the trade.

It's garbage, they PAID to get out of the top ten IMO, because Bidwill doesn't like the kind of money that top ten picks demand. :x

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I totally, totally disagree with the statement that the Cards shopped the pick because Bidwill doesn't like to play top 10 money.

No one "likes" to pay that. The Cards have done nothing recently at all to demonstrate they are not willing to pay good money for talent.

That's just so wrong a statement.

I can buy the fact that it may well have been the Cards doing the shopping. But I also disagree that as dbcard74 said:
You make teams anxious to move up pay BIG. Or you don't make the trade.
I think what's failed to be mentioned or noticed here is that it was obviously the decision of "the Cards team", that it was more disireable to take the risk of the trade route to taking any other player at 6. So they pull the trigger and hope for the best. THEY HAD ALREADY MADE THAT DECISION EARLIER IN THE WEEK AND WERE PREPARED FOR IT!
My guess is New Orleans was probably not real interested in trading up. I also question the comparisons made in relation to the other trades. Each situation has to be evaluated in its own light. I'd say New England was failrly eager to move up, not necessarilt to move up, but to get rid of the plethora of picks they had. If its the them that wants to move up that is the aggressor, so to speak, then they will usually pay a price....supply and demand.
New Orleans was in a nice position. I'm guessing they were perfectly content to stay where they were, but if a team did want to move up, they could have some fairly high demands.
So the the Cards obviously felt it was worth it to "pay the price" they did for the deal.
Anyone can second guess that decision all they want to, especially now with hindsight to aide them.
Personally I can't really fault their reasoning.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Yeah ok, maybe the second part was a bit over the top, but I still stand by the fact that I think it was garbage that they gave up value to move down.

OP
OP
D

dbcard74

Reaction score
Tangodnzr, you make an excellent point that I started to make in my original post but didn't because I was looking at it from the Cards' viewpoint: You make the team ANXIOUS to move, up or down, pay up big. Given what the Cards gave up, maybe it was them anxious to move.

In fact, if you think of it from that standpoint, the way the trade was put together isn't so hard to figure out.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaliforniaCard
Yeah ok, maybe the second part was a bit over the top, but I still stand by the fact that I think it was garbage that they gave up value to move down.

Actually I don't think it is over the top at all. I am not advancing the cheapness conspiracy here but EVERY deal made has financial ramifications and those financials directly effect the decision-making.

The guys the Cards targeted early were gone so they wanted out. Why? Holes to fill and they didn't want to have to pay big money to a player who really wasn't a guy they wanted badly. In essense they did it to save shelling out the big money...not out of cheapness but out of intelligence because they would be paying a guy who wasn't their favorite that high.

Signability is also an issue (which also is the money angle). The odds of either first rounder holding out are pretty slim I would imagine so the team will be intact for camp.

Money was an issue, no matter how we try to spin otherwise but I truly believe it wasn't out of cheapness the trade was made.