Confidence in BC?

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
Anyone withholding criticism 'til this is over? Do you have hope that there is a method to his madness? Or just madness. I can't see blowing up the team without some later deals that make sense. Here's to hope....:cheers::shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
nothin' but net said:
Anyone withholding criticism 'til this is over? Do you have hope that there is a method to his madness? Or just madness. I can't see blowing up the team without some later deals that make sense. Here's to hope....:cheers::shrug:

I think he has no idea what's going on.

And D'Antoni actually had the NERVE to say that we would do A LOT tonight...

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno, maybe they figured the team was young enough.

Maybe Sarver cut up his charge cards.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i hope suns management is reading this forum and seeing that almost NO ONE is happy with what transpired tonight.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I think he has no idea what's going on.

And D'Antoni actually had the NERVE to say that we would do A LOT tonight...

wow - you KNOW we did something wrong when Chap rips the club.

Unfortunatley - I kinda agree. This deal just makes me really uneasy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

You obviously hold an opinion of me that is simply untrue. Just because I like Shawn Marion doesn't make me a homer for the Suns. I just don't hate as much as you do--on the team and the fans.

VinceBlack

Reaction score
I'm nervous that if nothing else happens, we may have gotten worse. Anyone else feel that way?

asudevil83

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

its like that feeling after you know you've made a mistake buying a new car. you feel OK about it driving home, but you wake up in the morning and puke your guts out because you know you got screwed and were blinded by desperation and a "need" for something.

BC is going to have one poopy day tomorrow....knowing what he did, and what this will spell for the team in terms of finances.

i shudder to think what the icing on the cake will be (not resiging JJ or trading Marion for a bench).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
You obviously hold an opinion of me that is simply untrue. Just because I like Shawn Marion doesn't make me a homer for the Suns. I just don't hate as much as you do--on the team and the fans.

uh - Chap. You're so defensive man. You have been very quick lately to defend the team on most fronts. I just haven't remembered you saying much negative about us lately - that's all. No need to get all up in arms about it.

Hating on the Suns and it's fans - that's a good one Chap. Way to try and start a fight there.

asudevil83

Reaction score
VinceBlack said:
I'm nervous that if nothing else happens, we may have gotten worse. Anyone else feel that way?

we may not have gotten worse, but we have set ourselves up for absolute failure if something like an injury happens.....or we cant land a quality FA.

OP
OP
nothin' but net

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
I can see how KT would really help. That point has been beat into the ground. Do you think Isaiah realized how bad we needed him. I agree that the trade is lopsided. I also think Suns execs really believe he is the missing piece. If he does make the difference in winning a championship, he will be a value at this price. There are still a lot of questions. My hope is that they have more plans in the off season and this trade was crutial to making that work. I'm struggling to see the wisdom here.

Maybe,
1. they really needed KT
2. they didn't want the higher guaranteed rookie contract because they had a FA lined up that would need the money.
3. they don't want to use time developing a rookie. they want to win championships now.
4. they really feel that veteran FA's will sign for a bargain to take a shot with the Suns

If all of this sounds like a homer pathetically grasping at straws, sorry. I can't believe that they are as stupid as this looks at face value.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really looked forward to tonight. It was a real downer. If there is not a contingency plan to get some quality players... I don't know. I'm still in shock.
It appears all the fans draft discusssion was for nothing. :confused:

Is it really about the money and if so, what does the future hold for the Suns fans. I beginning to think how it must feel to be a Clipper fan.

Help! There must be some logic.

scotsman13

Reaction score
personally i am very disappointed with what i have seen tonight. we got what? a big guy to replace someone like jake? and 6'8" small forward that may or may not be anything on a bench? the only think that i can think is good about this is if the rumors of getting some free agents to come here at less we will have the roster spot for them. all in all i am left at a lose for words and hope for the summer is growing dark.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Mind-boggling move today? Yeah, to say the least.

PHX panicked, NOT knowing that New York was posturing. Insurance holdup? Yeah, right. BC fell for this line of crap, and pulled the trigger.

That being said.... it's going to be a long summer, and there's a lot of moves to be made. Re-signing JJ/Amare is obviously tops on their minds, and they're going to need $$ flexibility in signing others.

Without a 1st round pick, that leaves another $800-900K for Steven Hunter. Possibly more.

Then you have a mid-level exception for someone like D. Marshall or Bobby Simmons. Perhaps add M. Finley on the cheap, and this team becomes a helluva lot better than last year's team. Hell, bring back Casey Jacobsen to shore up the need for the 3 ball.

Just giving them the benefit, guys. But, I'm pissed off right now.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I've been questioning BC for months and just about everybody on this board has been shooting me down.

The Chicago trade is now officially horrible!

The Q signing becomes hard to understand now that we find out our $ tight franchise never bothered to insure a guy that had a serious back injury. It seems like the Suns were completely baffled by this revelation. How ironic that the free spending Knicks were the ones who were concerned about insurance.

BC commits to the trade then loses his nerve and throws in the #21 because the alternative of having Q back in the fold would be messy to say the least.

Our team is young and it won't kill the franchise to lose the #21 pick but they'd better sign some solid free agents or there's gonna be big trouble.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
the suns are usually good at this. they can't seriously be thinking about just running 6 or 7 guys out there for a whole season again, can they? we'll see what happens in free agency, but obviously as of now things don't look like they've gone the best.

imo, i'd still look at this as a successful offseason if they re-sign jj and hunter, and get payton and finley/another big guy. the chances of this happening? i'd say a solid .5%...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point BC MUST be active in the free agency market.

Going in the off season I was afraid the Suns would draft a big man and say "see we've done it" and then just sit on the MLE. With this deal, he's all be forced to solve their needs through free agency.

BTW, think the reason they waited to announce the trade was on the outside chance that someone the Suns really wanted fell to 21. The trade would have been structured different (more future firsts).

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
BTW, think the reason they waited to announce the trade was on the outside chance that someone the Suns really wanted fell to 21. The trade would have been structured different (more future firsts).

But they really did want Garcia I think. All the talks from the front office was that he was a perfect fit, but they didn't think he would fall.

virtual9

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
At this point BC MUST be active in the free agency market.

Going in the off season I was afraid the Suns would draft a big man and say "see we've done it" and then just sit on the MLE. With this deal, he's all be forced to solve their needs through free agency.

The voice of reason. I'm not happy that the Suns are giving up a pick to the Knicks. But at least it's out of the way, and they got a 2nd round in return who they used to pick up a player who can step in. Dijon actually looks like he'd fit in well as a spot-up shooter who can run the open court.

Gortat could be a bust, or he could be a legit player. He's older, but still lacks experience. Supposedly is very athletic. If he comes and Iavaroni's still around to teach him, he might pan out.

Let's see what else we see popping up tomorrow morning. Barbosa might be going somewhere for something. Or maybe even Jimmy Jackson if the Suns are sure they can pick up Finley.

I'll give BC until the end of the summer to redeem himself.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I've never had any confidence in JC so it's hard to say this latest episode changed much. Of course, he wasn't as bad lately as he was in putting together the "Kidd" or "Marbury" teams, when he showed he had no concept of what a team was. I guess I'd characterize my current state is waiting to see if 04-05 was a fluke or something he will be able to build on. I tend to think it was a fluke - he has a coach that appears to have almost no technical knowledge of the game, which is covered to some extent because Nash plus the uptempo game gives him a team that does well with little coaching.

I guess he gets some tentative good marks for realizing he has to have some more toughness inside, indicated by the KT trade but right now that trade doesn't look too great. In addition, going with a more traditional lineup means the offense is going to have to add more coordinated activity ('plays' or 'sets') and I have my doubts about his coach being capable of making that work well. We also need a defensive assistant coach, but that's been true for a long time.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I've never had any confidence in JC so it's hard to say this latest episode changed much. Of course, he wasn't as bad lately as he was in putting together the "Kidd" or "Marbury" teams, when he showed he had no concept of what a team was. I guess I'd characterize my current state is waiting to see if 04-05 was a fluke or something he will be able to build on. I tend to think it was a fluke - he has a coach that appears to have almost no technical knowledge of the game, which is covered to some extent because Nash plus the uptempo game gives him a team that does well with little coaching.

I guess he gets some tentative good marks for realizing he has to have some more toughness inside, indicated by the KT trade but right now that trade doesn't look too great. In addition, going with a more traditional lineup means the offense is going to have to add more coordinated activity ('plays' or 'sets') and I have my doubts about his coach being capable of making that work well. We also need a defensive assistant coach, but that's been true for a long time.

Can you seriously go a week without bitching about the coaching?

"D'Antoni is the worst coach ever" blah blah blah. Did we go to the Western Conference Finals? Did we have the 3rd greatest turnaround in NBA history?

Geez the way you go on and on you'd think we hadn't gone to the playoffs this year. Seriously here is the truth about coaching in the NBA ... generally it sucks and is done by players coaches because THE PLAYERS RUN THE FRIGGIN LEAGUE. If you want a disciplinarian (sp?), they will last all of 3 years because the players will tune them out and they will be fired and replaced with a players coach. The players pick and choose their coach because they have all the power due to guaranteed contracts. Sorry man but thats the way things work in today's NBA

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
playstation said:
the suns are usually good at this. they can't seriously be thinking about just running 6 or 7 guys out there for a whole season again, can they? we'll see what happens in free agency, but obviously as of now things don't look like they've gone the best.
Didn't they just do this last season?

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
>>Can you seriously go a week without bitching about the coaching?

"D'Antoni is the worst coach ever" blah blah blah. Did we go to the Western Conference Finals? Did we have the 3rd greatest turnaround in NBA history?<<

It's flattering that you notice what I write about on here, but since I'm specific in my bitching about D'Antoni's coaching, you might consider actual counter arguments when you disagree. (BTW, I don't regard coach Mikey as the worst coach ever - one reason being that I still remember Frank Johnson, who I bitched about a good deal more.)

>>Seriously here is the truth about coaching in the NBA ... generally it sucks and is done by players coaches because THE PLAYERS RUN THE FRIGGIN LEAGUE. If you want a disciplinarian (sp?), they will last all of 3 years because the players will tune them out and they will be fired and replaced with a players coach. The players pick and choose their coach because they have all the power due to guaranteed contracts. Sorry man but thats the way things work in today's NBA<<

There's an element of truth in that though I'd attribute it more to the league hyping 'superstars' and minimizing the team aspect of the game. Any decade now I expect a 'players coach' will manage to win the NBA title.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe somebody can explain this to me, why does the Richardson-Thomas trade seem so horrible now? I only casually follow the Suns but I was under the impression that a lot of people here were happy with the trade a week ago. I thought the only difference between tonight and a week ago was that a week ago it looked like we were giving up a future conditional first rounder and tonight we gave up the #21. Am I missing something?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Maybe somebody can explain this to me, why does the Richardson-Thomas trade seem so horrible now? I only casually follow the Suns but I was under the impression that a lot of people here were happy with the trade a week ago. I thought the only difference between tonight and a week ago was that a week ago it looked like we were giving up a future conditional first rounder and tonight we gave up the #21. Am I missing something?

Well the initial report on the trade was that we got a 1st rd pick from them, then it was changed to a future conditional 1st to the knicks (likely 28-30 in 2007) and now it's the #21 pick this year. We traded our #7 pick last year and got the #21 pick this year in return when we could've gotten a great player in Luol Deng or Andre Igoudala and instead we've had 2 years without a draft.