Consider PF Ed Davis

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Warrick would lose focus on offense for several game stretches. Combine his irregular approach to offense with his league worst team defense and he was a nightmare for coaches. Not opposing coaches, his own coaches. I've only lost it with three Suns during the internet era - Longley, Scola and Warrick. Hakim was by far the worst of the three and IMO he was easily the worst player ever to log decent minutes for the Suns. He could run, he could jump and he could wow the crowd occasionally but he didn't help you win games. Quite the contrary.

Steve

Why Scola? He didn't play any defense either but he actually did alot of other things IQ wise and scoring wise. He was a horrible fit for the system we were trying to run but I thought he still gave it all he had and still made an impact.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why Scola? He didn't play any defense either but he actually did alot of other things IQ wise and scoring wise. He was a horrible fit for the system we were trying to run but I thought he still gave it all he had and still made an impact.

Oh no. Please don't get him started.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Funny thing is that I did exactly what Steve suggested and watched Scola. Not the game, not the other nine players, just Scola. I have NEVER seen anyone that lost of defense.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well yeah, Len is a rookie. We all knew we were getting a 3-5 year project. I expect Len to be completely lost. Scola is a veteran with an extremely high basketball IQ, which is why it was so surprising to see him completely lost.

OP
OP
E

Errntknght

Reaction score
Funny thing is that I did exactly what Steve suggested and watched Scola. Not the game, not the other nine players, just Scola. I have NEVER seen anyone that lost of defense.

As I pointed out at the time in question, Scola was indeed lost when he had to defend anyone resembling a stretch 4, but he was quite crafty defending in the paint. He wasn't quick afoot and he couldn't jump but he still managed to do a respectable job. (Too bad our coaches never noticed this dichotomy.) If you look at his stats on the player tracking site, defensive implact, you'll see his defense at the rim is respectable - in fact he led the Indiana bigs for the playoffs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I pointed out at the time in question, Scola was indeed lost when he had to defend anyone resembling a stretch 4, but he was quite crafty defending in the paint. He wasn't quick afoot and he couldn't jump but he still managed to do a respectable job. (Too bad our coaches never noticed this dichotomy.) If you look at his stats on the player tracking site, defensive implact, you'll see his defense at the rim is respectable - in fact he led the Indiana bigs for the playoffs.

I stopped complaining about him as a defender when we moved him to the five spot. I still had a problem with his occasional "oh hell, I'm out of my range but I'm too lazy to work for a better shot so I'll just throw up something I shoot about 20% on" but he was a good post defender. He really shouldn't be lumped in with Warrick and Longley but he frustrated me because he should have been so much better.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He is a fine one on one defender if he is defending someone who has the ball in the low post. It's on switches or on the perimeter that he was SO frustratingly bad.

OP
OP
E

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think he must have been deathly afraid that some speedster like Matt Bonner would blow by him if he tried to guard him at the 3 pt line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05