COPA

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Gettem Emi.

If you want change at USMNT, you have to cheer against them in this tournament. Like an 0-1-2 result and missing the knockout rounds.

A trip to the Semis keeps Greggggg at the helm.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Gettem Emi.

If you want change at USMNT, you have to cheer against them in this tournament. Like an 0-1-2 result and missing the knockout rounds.

A trip to the Semis keeps Greggggg at the helm.
I think the trip to the semis depends on how they look. like who do they beat along the way. If they beat Brazil or Columbia and lose to a good team in a nail biter I will give Greg the benefit of the doubt. other than that he should be fired.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
so we were critical of the last 3 World Cup bids for good reason. Brazil building stadiums that went into disrepair months after the 2014 WC, Russia (no need to say anything), and Qatar who should have never hosted a WC. but the USA has evolved since 1994 when we had outdoor grass stadiums. now we have all of these billion dollar NFL stadiums that cannot grow a proper soccer pitch. this will be a problem if they don't figure it out.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Pretty good start for USA. Should have scored a couple more.
A lot of errors at times and very sloppy at times, yet very positive going forward as well. If this were a good team, I think we'd have been in deep trouble. An okay win to start.

I should be critical of the team more often. Short corner, and I say "I hate these...oh, never mind!" I rightly blast Balogun for being lazy and just when I say "We still don't have a striker," he scores. I shake my head and start to wonder, "What does McKennie even do?" he makes a magic run. Funny stuff.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
positives and negatives. a lot of good individual performances and unlucky not to have 3 or 4 goals. they dominated a bad team, but continue to not score goals which is a problem for this team. they do everything well but score. today should have been a day to cure that problem. someone besides pulisic needs to be effective in getting the ball in the net. I give balogun credit for hitting the net twice. the 2nd goal that was offsides was arguably Boliva's best moment of the game. the guy who played that offside trap aced it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
positives and negatives. a lot of good individual performances and unlucky not to have 3 or 4 goals. they dominated a bad team, but continue to not score goals which is a problem for this team. they do everything well but score. today should have been a day to cure that problem. someone besides pulisic needs to be effective in getting the ball in the net. I give balogun credit for hitting the net twice. the 2nd goal that was offsides was arguably Boliva's best moment of the game. the guy who played that offside trap aced it.
Scoring has ALWAYS been the achilles heal of the USMNT. Even the best teams from 15 years ago couldn't score. We had dynamic players like Landon and Jozy, but getting them to actually, you know, SHOOT the freaking ball was always like pulling teeth. How can that not change after so many years?? Our scoring forward legacy has been a big pile of nothing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scoring has ALWAYS been the achilles heal of the USMNT. Even the best teams from 15 years ago couldn't score. We had dynamic players like Landon and Jozy, but getting them to actually, you know, SHOOT the freaking ball was always like pulling teeth. How can that not change after so many years?? Our scoring forward legacy has been a big pile of nothing.
Scoring is the hardest part of the game. Look how many elite strikers that are out there. There may be only a dozen or so in the entire world.

... and you have to play in the best teams/coaches in the world to get better. Look at how many strikers/wingers the US has had abroad in its history, there have been what maybe 10? It's no wonder we aren't good at scoring.

The good news is that we are getting better at sending these athletes abroad.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
good points. and I don't expect them to score a lot in this tournament against the powerful squads, which is why I'm disappointed a little with yesterday's scoreline.

while Pepi didn't score, I do give him credit for being aggressive, I loved his energy off the bench. his first shot was terrible, but after that he hit the target a few times. Just unlucky that its right at the keeper. pulisic also had some good looks. he missed a first time shot that would have been a brilliant goal. I don't think he had time to take that one down.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Scoring is the hardest part of the game. Look how many elite strikers that are out there. There may be only a dozen or so in the entire world.

... and you have to play in the best teams/coaches in the world to get better. Look at how many strikers/wingers the US has had abroad in its history, there have been what maybe 10? It's no wonder we aren't good at scoring.

The good news is that we are getting better at sending these athletes abroad.
Granted, but when you get the ball in the box and don't even come away with even an attempt on goal, that's terrible and something we haven't had for as long as I can remember.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Granted, but when you get the ball in the box and don't even come away with even an attempt on goal, that's terrible and something we haven't had for as long as I can remember.
I agree and thankfully yesterday Pulisic took matters into his own hands early and listened to a set piece coach that I had never heard of until then. if they had not scored early it might have made for an even more frustrating game. not sure though...just happy to see them win at this point even if it is Bolivia. Panama should be another 3 points. they might need to beat Uruguay to win this group. I feel like Uruguay are going to pad the goal differential against Bolivia. but I guess we shall see. that can be a two way street if USA play to their potential vs. Panama.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
and Tim Weah with a dumb punch to the head gets sent off early. let's see how USA respond down a man.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Panama takes one back. 1-1 and turner almost gifts them another goal right away. he has to be better with his service or he needs to be benched. this is going to be tough for USA to get a result.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
don't understand why musah wasn't used. anytime I see Carter vickers come on the pitch I get nervous. he should not be on this roster and he doesn't mark his man on the game winner. not sure why the sub was made, but ESPN shows that vickers came on for Reyna. WTF is that? Greg tried to see out the draw. he would have been better off with Reyna or musah being there than vickers.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
How do you not just say "We're playing a low block and let them try to break us down" after going up a goal while down a man? Flipping crazy.
yeah it's so inconsistent with him. what he did at half should have been what they did after the goal. but a lot of his decision making coming back to haunt him today. only having Adams for 45 mins. losing your keeper, that's 2 subs down right there that completely change the game after Weah gets that red. he took Reyna off the pitch too early and keeping musah off the pitch is criminal. I don't think Carter vickers should be on this roster.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't see the USA beating Uruguay. and there's a scenario where they could win that game and still not qualify. greg has to get fired if they don't make it out of the group. I have a hard time seeing this team beating Uruguay and a Colombia/Brazil back to back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryderckarm