Corey Brewer Interview -- I’d rather get up and down

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
I would love to see him on the Suns next year. What a great attitude and smart player.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
180-185lb 6'9 SF? Do you guys think he can contribute immediately defensively in the NBA at that weight? He needs to gain a lot of muscle and get up to the 220lb range or he'll just get pushed around all night long.

Really just being a winner, I win. I can help a team right away in that I know I’m a winner.
This is what he lists as one of his main strengths..........come on kid! Your team was a winner, it wasn't you individually all by yourself and winning an NCAA championship doesn't mean squat in the NBA. I guess at least he has confidence..........

Last edited:

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
He can contribute immediately. He's up to 190 already anyways, per Chad Ford insider article.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
His size alone keeps me away from him. Will he crumble like Livingston did this year? At 6'9" and 180, that would be a legitimate fear. On the other hand, when KG came out, wasn't he like 6'11 adn 215 and now he's 7'1" and 235?

I don't know....

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
His size alone keeps me away from him. Will he crumble like Livingston did this year? At 6'9" and 180, that would be a legitimate fear. On the other hand, when KG came out, wasn't he like 6'11 adn 215 and now he's 7'1" and 235?

I don't know....

Not totally easy to fix the size problem, but it's not impossible. He's young, he can grow. What I like about him is the way he plays.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I have a feeling that Corey Brewer is going be the third pick in this draft.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I have a feeling that Corey Brewer is going be the third pick in this draft.

at this point in time, i'd say that if Branden Wright falls to us, then i'd be extatic.

my rankings:

Wright
Brewer
Horford
Yi

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
He's a lockdown defender, his size will come. He can shoot and play defense and would fill in for Raja whenever we decide to part ways. He'd be a major mismatch for opponents on both ends of the court. He's gonna be awesome

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we get the Atl pick then we're going to get a great player that should be able to contribute immediately. I don't think Brewer is a great pick for us because of our style. A 6'9 guy is a PF/C for us, but he can't play down there because he's 185-190 lbs. He thinks he's a SG, but his self-admitted weaknesses are ball handling and shooting? Even our backup SF needs to be able to hit open 3ptrs.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we get the Atl pick then we're going to get a great player that should be able to contribute immediately. I don't think Brewer is a great pick for us because of our style. A 6'9 guy is a PF/C for us, but he can't play down there because he's 185-190 lbs. He thinks he's a SG, but his self-admitted weaknesses are ball handling and shooting? Even our backup SF needs to be able to hit open 3ptrs.

Workouts will give more indication as to how strong he is. I'll admit I think he's too light to be an immedate impact guy and worry about his shooting (only 33% for three his senior year). So while I'd love to have him, I'm not sure I'd pass on Wright or Horford to get him.

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
180-185lb 6'9 SF? Do you guys think he can contribute immediately defensively in the NBA at that weight? He needs to gain a lot of muscle and get up to the 220lb range or he'll just get pushed around all night long.

Pretty much anybody you find at the top of the draft has weight issues except Al Horford & Jeff Green. Wright, Brewer, Jianlian and Noah will all have to put on weight to effectively play their positions in the NBA.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure a lot of guys need to add 15lbs of muscle, but Brewer needs about 40lbs of muscle added over the next 5-6 months and how will the added weight affect his game? That much of a weight differential is a killer for a guy whose main skill is defense. I can definitely see Brewer being a Josh Howard style player in 3 yrs though.

Edit: I guess Tayshaun Prince is listed at 215lbs so Brewer only needed to add 35lbs of muscle (started at 180lbs) to get to that level. I don't know how accurate that is for Prince's weight though.

Last edited:

sunsfn

Reaction score
Think Tayshaun Prince.

I realize that remains to be seen, but that is what he is like right now.

Lockown defender that is quite thin.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure why you guys keep harping SO much on weight. Brewer's gonna be a 2 and a NASTY 2 at that. This kid wants to be great, has confidence and is going tobe one of th ebest perimeter defenders in the league. And his shot isn't TERRIBLE. I'll take 33% in college with our coaches helping him along. Besides Durant and Oden, I think he's the best prospect out there.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Think Tayshaun Prince.

I realize that remains to be seen, but that is what he is like right now.

Lockown defender that is quite thin.

Prince is certainly a best case scenerio. Livingston is a worst case scenerio.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prince is certainly a best case scenerio. Livingston is a worst case scenerio.

Pippen is a best case scenario. Brewer's MUCH faster and more explosive than Prince, but doesn't have the handles as of yet.

Livingston is a worst case scenario though. that's a good call.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Howard came into the league at ~ 195 and I think he's around 210 right now. You don't have to be built like Joe Johnson to play well at SF. You just have to be strong, and some people are stronger at lighter weight than others. I doubt Brewer will ever weigh 220 -- at least not until he turns 40 and starts to lose muscle mass -- but he looks to me like he's going to be one of those guys that contributes immediately wherever he plays. He looked like a much more polished Tyrone Corbin to me at Florida, with the potential to be very much like a Josh Howard type of player.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Basically I agree with all that cheese says. I think we are both driving the Brewer bandwagon.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically I agree with all that cheese says. I think we are both driving the Brewer bandwagon.

i know Ouchie's riding shotgun also. The kid's going to be a mega-stud. He will be the PERFECT compliment to Amare, Leo and Boris in the next era.