Could Suns Look at Jaric?

fordronken

Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/sean-deveney/20050605.html

More teams are looking for versatility, especially off the bench. That could lead to a new home for Clippers G Marko Jaric, who is capable of playing three positions. Jaric will be a restricted free agent this summer. Contending teams such as Denver and Phoenix, in need of backcourt depth and versatility, could take a crack at Jaric, which would force the Clippers to make a decision on keeping him. . . .

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Probably they need their limited FA money to go after big men. Jaric hasn't shown much so far, but he'd probably be an okay backup project if the Suns didn't have more pressing priorities.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I really like Jaric but IMO the Suns could Draft a similar player and use Mid-Level on a bigman... there will be options ala a Jaric at #21 and not quite as many bigs at #21, although the Draft with Diogu and Simien measurements, is getting deeper everyday at the bigs...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not a great ball handler, which is the whole point of getting an upgrade over Barbosa.

For better or worse, I'd throw the name of Brevin Knight into the hopper. If by some fluke either Paul or Deron Williams fell to the fifth spot, the Bobcats probably wouldn't work that hard to keep him. Knight has been a journeyman for most of his career, but had a pretty good year on a bad team. He might like a chance to play on a good team:

Brevin Knight
Charlotte Bobcats
Position: G
Height: 5-10 Weight: 170
College : Stanford '97
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 10.1
RPG 2.6
APG 9.0
SPG 1.98
BPG .08
FG% .422
FT% .852
3P% .150
MPG 29.5

He had only 2.23 turnovers in 29.5 minutes a game. Still has some quickness and is considered a good on the ball defender.

I'm guessing Knight could do better than what the Suns could offer, but it is surprising how much guys will give up for a chance to win a championship.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i think we are off Brevin's list no matter what. as i recall we kinda gave up on the guy for absolutely no reason at all.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
i think we are off Brevin's list no matter what. as i recall we kinda gave up on the guy for absolutely no reason at all.

Actually, he was a victim of a misplaced sense of what the Suns could do early in 2003-04. The Suns despirately needed a big man and White looked attractive. If anyone had known how bad things would get, especially after Amare got hurt, there is no way he would have been traded.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There are other decent PGs that are free agents, plus who knows who will be cut after the draft. I think we got a shot at a good back up point guard. If we re-sign JJ, that's not so critical. We need front line help and depth. Amare and Hunter are the big guys that played for us in the playoffs. We need more then two big men that Mike D'Antoni is willing to play during the playoffs. ;)

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Marko Jaric did average 6 assists and he can really defend, obviously can play both backcourt positions and not that bad of a shooter: 3PTM 1.1 at 3PT PCT .37.

I just think Francisco Garcia, Julius Hodge, etc. are capable playing both backcourt positions, good amount of assists, defend, and 1 being a better 3PT shooter (shotblocker as well).

I don't see many F/C's being in the Draft, in the League of Kwame Brown, Stromile Swift, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, etc. in this Draft (although some may not be available but that's still as much chance as Jaric has of signing with the Suns) at #21. If Chris Taft drops to #21 or Andray Blatche, then I wouldn't mind Jaric - I like his game.

frankiekazoo

Reaction score
forgive me for being stupid (i actually thought i posted this already as well :shrug: ) but why hasn't Vujanic's name come up more often when talking about back court help?

HooverDam

Reaction score
frankiekazoo said:
forgive me for being stupid (i actually thought i posted this already as well :shrug: ) but why hasn't Vujanic's name come up more often when talking about back court help?

I believe he is injured. Torn ACL perhaps...? Anyone know for sure. I lazily googled for him and didnt come up w/ anything.

EDIT: Ok, I found it, that is in fact correct. From USAToday:

"Milos Vujanic, one of the top point guards in the world
playing outside the NBA.

Vujanic, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee on
May 18, is the leader of the young group of players on the
National Team from Serbia-Montenegro and was looking forward to
playing in Eurobasket 2005. Instead, he will likely be out a
minimum of six months. Vujanic was considering a move to the NBA
(where the Phoenix Suns own his draft rights) next season, but
that decision will be put on hold as Vujanic begins the slow,
painful rehabilitation.

"I am very sad, but I have to accept that these things happen in
my job, and unfortunately, there is nothing that I can do about
it," Vujanic said. "

From everything I read he is naturally more of a scoring PG (like Iverson), but when he played on the national team he distributed more. Hopefully under Nash's tutelage he can learn to become a floor general.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We already have Q. We can't have another ex-Clipper on the roster. Might throw the Suns' karma out of whack. Seriously, no more ex-Clippers. Unless it's Chris Kaman.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Jaric hasn't been a Clipper that long. Plus ex-Clippers are some of the most talented players in the league. :D

I like Jaric ok. Somehow I view the chance that the Suns will sign him very unlikely.

I would love to have Kaman on the Suns.