Could the recent disaster effect Finley's decision?

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
First off, I'd like to send my prayers to those being affected by the hurricane. It's a terrible tragedy, and it will undoubtedly be looked upon as one of the worst natural disasters in U.S. History.

With that being said, I can't help but wonder if this tragedy will have any effect on Finley's decision. We all know Miami is prime hurricane territory, and no one wants to see their home get thrased, whether it be rented, bought and insured or not. What do you guys think?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that we are really stretching to find more positive reasons as to why he might join the Suns.

What do you think? ;)

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Not really a stretch. Finley has nothing invested in Miami at this point in time (unless he already owns real estate down there). Something like this could really affect one's decision if no time or effort has been invested.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
First off, I'd like to send my prayers to those being affected by the hurricane. It's a terrible tragedy, and it will undoubtedly be looked upon as one of the worst natural disasters in U.S. History.

With that being said, I can't help but wonder if this tragedy will have any effect on Finley's decision...

Actually, I could view it differently. That perhaps Finley has not signed with Miami (as yet) as a sign of respect for the victims.

I'm still hoping he chooses the Suns.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perhaps sun spots are effecting the earth's heat... :rolleyes:

IMHO, Finley's agent is still trying to negotiate the deal with the Heat. I'm guessing they aren't offering enough years or there is something else about their offer that Finley's people don't like.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I think this locks it up. He will for sure not sign with the Hornets after this.It looks like I will be headed to Mississippi this weekend to help out with the clean-up. I'll keep an eye out for Fin.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I could view it differently. That perhaps Finley has not signed with Miami (as yet) as a sign of respect for the victims.

I think my take on the situation as expressed above could be a real possibility.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I think my take on the situation as expressed above could be a real possibility.

I really disagree....that would make no sense if you are referring to the fact that he doesnt want to make news in miami...i live in miami....there are no victims here....New Orleans is the only place where catastrophic damage was done.....

That being said Finley signing with the Miami Sol would not make a blip to anyone outside of the basketball world nationally...if he actually thought for a second that his signing would be disrespectful in that it would take attention to those in actual need, he would have the biggest ego of all time. Lets be honest, besides a concentrated segment of miami, phoenix, SA, and minneapolis, no one really cares what fins does. At least compared to the magnitude of the tragedy in New Orleans...

My best guess is that the salary structure or where he sees a better chance at a ring are the reasons for the hold up.....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I really disagree....that would make no sense if you are referring to the fact that he doesnt want to make news in miami...i live in miami....there are no victims here....New Orleans is the only place where catastrophic damage was done.....

You may well be right. I was just looking at it from the perspective... the same storm and the same region of the country. It would have nothing to do with Finley's ego.

I don't live in Miami but this idea crossed my mind. As I live in Arizona, I'm unaware of the amount of damage and/or victims in the Miami area. Certainly that region has been hit hard by the storm.

I just think Finley is a thoughtful person and he would not want to be a distraction when it should be focused on the victims in that region.

Anyway, it's not a matter of who is right or wrong in regard to this tragedy. Maybe Finley would not factor this into his announcement.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just to let you know, New Orleans and Miami are about 660 miles apart -- farther than the distance between Phoenix and Denver. So they aren't really part of the same "region."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Just to let you know, New Orleans and Miami are about 660 miles apart -- farther than the distance between Phoenix and Denver. So they aren't really part of the same "region."

Could we agree that the storm passed by Miami and perhaps did some damage?

I was just expressing how I viewed the storm's passing. :confused:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a meteorologist, but I believe hurricane season and the NBA season miss each other for the most part. Still, this thread is an interesting thought at least. IMO it's worth discussing a little. I just think that most of us would agree that hurricanes probably did not play a big part of Michael Finley's decision.

BTW - New Orleans was not the only place to get nailed by Katrina. Coastal Mississippi caught the worst part of the storm.

Joe Mama

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Could we agree that the storm passed by Miami and perhaps did some damage?

I was just expressing how I viewed the storm's passing. :confused:

neighbor had a tree fall on their house, our window was cracked from the force of a humoungous trampoline being thrown up against it, 8 fatalities (all from falling trees, which you would think would be a smart thing to avoid during a hurricane..) and about 100,000 power outages in broward county. The city i live in was actually in the eye of the storm so we got some of the worst damage.

Still, it was a tropical storm/category one when it passed through florida and this seems to be like everyday life for these floridians (i really do miss arizona....) so it was nothing compared to New Orleans. Like the differnce between it being hot in Arizona and it being hot in Canada.....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake