Could the Suns trade a starter for a center?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it would happen but could the Suns say, re-sign Johnson and then trade him for a big man? Or do they look at a big guy like Frye in the draft?

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
The Suns could sign and Trade JJ for a Center and then Draft a G/F in Draft but I really like Joe Johnson...

Actually Draft is first but the Suns could do that. Not sure if there is a Center worth giving the contract that JJ would command?

asudevil83

Reaction score
if the suns are looking to trade a starter....then the first guy to go will be Q. JJ is our backup PG/SF, who does MUCH more than Q. the salary that JJ will get will be well worth us paying it.

Besides, which centers out there are worth JJ? and who would be willing to give up their C for JJ? or better yet....who would we be willing to give up JJ for?

if i'm looking at trading a starter for a center this offseason i'm looking at this:

Q + Barbs + Voskul = Magloire + #33 pick

we end up with:

Magloire/Hunter
Amare/Warrick (first rounder)
Marion/Jimmy J
JJ
Nash

we can then round out our bench with the #33 and our MLE.

however....if we are looking to trade a starter, then this isnt the road i'd go. we'd be better off trading for some good role players to deepen our bench.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
No way we trade JJ! This guy will be an allstar and one of the top SG's in the league in a few years, if not next year.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather trade Q for Ginoboli...

That guy would freaking rock on this team...

Mike

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
He said COULD the Suns and it's possible... I doubt any fan would want too. I'd rather have JJ than most Centers in the NBA. I'd rather pick a PF in Draft, than Trade JJ and the 4's in Draft where Suns are picking won't be the strength of Draft. We did Trade Marbury though... I will say it better be a hell of a Center.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I'd rather trade Q for Ginoboli...

That guy would freaking rock on this team...

Mike

The Spurs, would need to throw in a 1st Rounder... :p

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I see no glaring reason to make a blockbuster trade during the offseason. We're doing fine with the personnel we have. Id like to see how Steven Hunter progresses. Hes been showing much promise this season and even in the playoffs.

Plus, a big center does not fit with the Suns scheme. Stat is doing just fine in that position.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
He said COULD the Suns and it's possible... I doubt any fan would want too. I'd rather have JJ than most Centers in the NBA. I'd rather pick a PF in Draft, than Trade JJ and the 4's in Draft where Suns are picking won't be the strength of Draft. We did Trade Marbury though... I will say it better be a hell of a Center.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was just asking a question. The biggest transaction I want after the playoffs is to sign Amare to a long-term contract.

jibikao

Reaction score
Hey guys, a stupid question...

We only spent 43millions on our roster. How much is Spur's roster worth? How come their bench looks so deep?

I mean can't we just sign a new guy instead of trading either JJ or Q?

Oh..and we have to keep JJ!!!! Trading him is stupid. He is 6'7 and can play both PG and SG and can create his own shots.

I don't want to trade Q but if we have no choice...

I hope Hunter can really improve more. His offense really looks bad. Every time he shoots the ball, it just looks weird... I don't know how to explain but there is no confidence in his shot at all. He is a center but he has no little jumper and no post-up game. He doesn't even do hook shot either.

Is Hunter "really" a center?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
jibikao said:

We only spent 43millions on our roster. How much is Spur's roster worth? How come their bench looks so deep?

I mean can't we just sign a new guy instead of trading either JJ or Q?

Oh..and we have to keep JJ!!!! Trading him is stupid. He is 6'7 and can play both PG and SG and can create his own shots.

I don't want to trade Q but if we have no choice...

I hope Hunter can really improve more. His offense really looks bad. Every time he shoots the ball, it just looks weird... I don't know how to explain but there is no confidence in his shot at all. He is a center but he has no little jumper and no post-up game. He doesn't even do hook shot either.

Is Hunter "really" a center?

Hunter is 7'0", hes a very athletic center

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
jibikao said:

SA's payroll is only 1 million above ours. Their bench is deep (not as much as you make it sounds, Horry, Barry, Udrih are the only people likely to see big minutes -- btw, what happened to Rasho?) because they are very creative in trades. Add in they nabbed Parker, Manu and Udrih late in the draft.

We could outright sign someone, but since we are over the cap we can only use the MLE (Around 5mil a year right now). Usually you get subpar big men with that, like Thomas and Blount last season -- however good teams can get people at a discount. Like the Spurs with Barry and the Lakers with Payton.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
The Spurs payroll will go up big-time soon.. Parker and Manu are making peanuts right now, and they will both demand near-max contracts.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The best thing for this team to do is to keep what they got and go big in the draft. That's it.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
goldseraph said:
The Spurs payroll will go up big-time soon.. Parker and Manu are making peanuts right now, and they will both demand near-max contracts.

Manu made 6.6 million this year. He was resigned in the summer at numbers similar to Q (maybe 5-8 million less over the deal I think). Parker also got a deal hammered out last summer, but it won't kick in until next season. It was for about 63million IIRC.

The Spurs payroll will be blowing up less than the Suns.

SportFan

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Manu made 6.6 million this year. He was resigned in the summer at numbers similar to Q (maybe 5-8 million less over the deal I think). Parker also got a deal hammered out last summer, but it won't kick in until next season. It was for about 63million IIRC.

The Spurs payroll will be blowing up less than the Suns.

If I am not mistaken, Manu signed for 6 years 52M last Summer, and Parker for 7 years 66M. The core of Duncan, Manu and Parker are locked through 2009. In hindsight 20/20, we should have made a more aggresive move on Ginobili last Summer. Playing both Nash and Ginobili in the same backcourt would have been sick!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ginobili wasn't going anywhere, and I'm pretty sure his contract was worked out before he blew up at the Olympics.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Ginobili wasn't going anywhere, and I'm pretty sure his contract was worked out before he blew up at the Olympics.

I believe that the Suns were actually very interested in Ginobili, but it came down to the Denver Nuggets and San Antonio. If I remember correctly Denver was offering a little more money. He chose to stay with San Antonio though.

I don't think the Phoenix Suns lost yesterday because of their center position. Sure, they probably would have been better off with a guy like Marcus Camby or Samuel Dalembert at center, but those guys aren't available. I don't think we want somebody who is so frequently injured like Camby anyhow. It would be great to have a backup like Mutombo. There is only one of him though, and his 57-year-old body wouldn't make it up and down the court with this team.

The only starter you could really trade would be JJ in a sign and trade or something like that. Steve Nash, Shawn Marion, and Amare Stoudemire aren't going anywhere. Q just signed last year. He is a BYC player and it would just be bad form. On top of that I think he will be much better next year after he works on his game all summer (hopefully), and the coaches integrate his low post game into the offense. That leaves JJ.

I think the Phoenix Suns lost because when one of their starters goes down they have no depth off the bench. Jimmy Jackson fills in great as a starter, but that leaves no help on the bench. McCarty and Barbosa seem like nice guys. They have occasional good games. They just aren't fit to be the first people off the bench on a team competing this far into the playoffs. They've gotten away with it by playing the starters into the ground. It caught up with them yesterday with that ridiculously short turnaround after a hardfought overtime game Friday night.

I still think they will draft the best player available with a preference for size. In other words if it's close they will go with the bigger player. They really need another versatile swingman off the bench whether they get it from the draft or free agency.

Joe Mama

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Maybe their contracts kick in next year, this year Manu is 72nd highest paid player and Parker is in the 300's (I believe he's making less than a mil this year)

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe

I just don't buy your stance that Q cannot or should not be moved and I don't think the Suns do either. They will do whatever necessary to improve the team, if Q has market value they will trade him. Getting this far will only ignite the desire to win a championship and IMO JJ will be able to get them there. The team and Q are struggling with out Johnson. This offense does not need post up players, Amare doesn't even post up, posting up slows down the game. They need faceup players. If trading Q is bad form, so be it.

As far as centers, draftcity just did an update on Andray Blatche on May 21st. This kid sounds like a faceup PF/C. It stated that he handles the ball on the fast break and is also an above average passer. He hits the mid range jumper consistently and has extended his range to 3pt.

Last edited:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
goldseraph said:
Maybe their contracts kick in next year, this year Manu is 72nd highest paid player and Parker is in the 300's (I believe he's making less than a mil this year)

Manu's contract already kicked in. He is making over 6 million like I said earlier, which is first year salary of his new deal. Parker's salary kicks in next season.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Q just signed last year. He is a BYC player and it would just be bad form.

You are not a BYC player if you got your new contract from a team under the cap.
Since the Clippers were under the cap when Q signed the offer sheet he didn't become BYC player.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
As far as centers, draftcity just did an update on Andray Blatche on May 21st. This kid sounds like a faceup PF/C. It stated that he handles the ball on the fast break and is also an above average passer. He hits the mid range jumper consistently and has extended his range to 3pt.

I doubt Andray Blatche will be there now, he's more of a 4/3 right now IMO, pretty thin but I would really like to get Granger, Blatche, Green, Warrick, or Garcia. Those 5 would stand out on the Suns team but I do have a lot of favorites... I believe there will most likely be a Prospect that will help team. Blatche is my #2 PF but I have Bogut as a Center.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
You are not a BYC player if you got your new contract from a team under the cap.
Since the Clippers were under the cap when Q signed the offer sheet he didn't become BYC player.

I had forgotten about that. I've got to believe since he signed the offer sheet with the Phoenix Suns it would be their salary-cap situation that affected the BYC status. Of course because both teams were under the salary cap it wouldn't make a difference in this situation.

Thanks,
Joe Mama

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Suns starting 5 can not be realistically improved. However, the bench can be improved. Lets find us a PG who can pass, and a PF off the bench, an we are set. Lets look at something like this for a bench next year:

C Hunter (runs the floor, blocks, getting better every day)
F Walter McCarty (hasn't had time to find his place w/ the Suns yet. But when he gets to take his shots, he can knock them down).
SF/G Jimmy Jackson
SG Leandro Barbosa (I think he can play much better w/ out the ball in his hands).
PG Sign or draft someone who can run and distribute

Then try to pick up a bigger, running forward, maybe Channing Frye in the draft, he could play C/F and give depth at the big (he may be a good fit, even though I hate the UofA).

Keep Bo Outlaw, he hustles like hell, and is a great leader.

Trade Shirley and Voskhul if needed to get said PG and PF/C