Could This Happen?

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
After watching the Sr. Bowl last night...and ingesting too many enchiladas...I had this draft day dream:

With pick #1....the San Diego Chargers pick QB Eli Manning from Mississippi.

With pick #2...the Oakland Raiders pick QB Ben Roethlisberger form Miami of Ohio.

With pick #3...the Arizona Cardinals pick QB Philip Rivers from NCSt.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That could happen - it really helps the Cards that Rivers stepped up big on a big stage in two ways:

1) There are 3 QBs worth taking

2) The availability of another great QB lessens the value of the 1 and 2 picks, and makes it less likely for a team to try to jump up and grab Eli or Ben.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
i only see this possibly happening if fitzgerald is NOT elgible for this draft. if fitz is elgible then i think the cards would either select fitz, or trade down.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You too Buckeye?

Have you ever seen a QB help himself as much in an all-star game as Rivers did last night? Wow. The kid grabbed his chance by the throat and came up big.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As probably the biggest Rivers fan on this entire board by a wide margin, I have to say that he isn't worth taking at that spot.

He is a below average athlete for a qb, and while he has great intangibles to make up for his lack of athleticism, he also lacks a bigtime arm. If he had the arm, I would agree that he would be worth the gamble.

Just wait until he works out. He'll probably run a 5.3 and begin to drop once his Senior Bowl performance is no longer the newest bit of info.

If you want Rivers, it might be smarter to trade back and pick up a few more picks.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
NO... While it's possible that the Cards could take Rivers in the first it's not possible at #3. Rivers isprojected as a low first rounder, so I doubt they wouldtakehim at #3.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by BACH
NO... While it's possible that the Cards could take Rivers in the first it's not possible at #3. Rivers isprojected as a low first rounder, so I doubt they wouldtakehim at #3.

Projections change. I'm not saying that I would like that pick, even though Rivers is my absolute favorite player in this draft.

OP
OP
BuckeyeCardinal

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
As probably the biggest Rivers fan on this entire board by a wide margin, I have to say that he isn't worth taking at that spot.

He is a below average athlete for a qb, and while he has great intangibles to make up for his lack of athleticism, he also lacks a bigtime arm. If he had the arm, I would agree that he would be worth the gamble.

Just wait until he works out. He'll probably run a 5.3 and begin to drop once his Senior Bowl performance is no longer the newest bit of info.

If you want Rivers, it might be smarter to trade back and pick up a few more picks.

Most of the time I look at a QB's ability to throw the long ball.

If a QB is like Jake Plummer and doesn't have the arm strength to throw the deep long ball then I'll say he lacks a bigtime arm.

This was only the second time that I've seen Rivers and was a little turned off by his unorthodox delivery and didn't notice any deep throws.

Yesterday I saw this kid throw the long ball against decent CB's.

I think he does have a bigtime arm

Wildman©

former FOOTBALL Coach
Reaction score
FWIW...

According to the Sean Salisbury, Rivers threw a 52-53 yard pass in the 4th quarter "on a rope". He and Craig James agreed that that throw would show the pro scouts that he did indeed have a strong arm. I just looked at the play again on my game tape... it was closer to 55 yards and was delivered with great velocity.

IMO, Phillip Rivers is nothing like Jake Plummer... physically or mentally.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Metcalf Rules
Of course it could happen, it's the Cardinals!

But I don't think it WILL happen. I think if the Cards want Rivers because the other two qbs are gone, they trade down. I wish the draft would just hurry up and get here.

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
kraig i'm the biggest fan of rivers on this this message board. i'm 6'1 270 lbs. arm strength is over rated. fortunally rivers, he threw the deep ball well with alot of accuracy. he a leader, doesn't force the ball, stronger arm than what people think, great pocket awareness, good feet, a very accurate thrower and most of all he started 51 games in the college level. that what you want in a qb. when rivers can complete 72% of passes, then i don't think his mechanics need work. he shreaded the defense in the senior bowl. he was the qb on all four scoring drives. he responded to all the pressure so far. after the senior bowl his stock went from late first round to pick 10-15. after the combine he should be in the top 5. which plays good for the cardinals. the pick thing is just speculation.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Re: FWIW...

Originally posted by Wildman©
According to the Sean Salisbury, Rivers threw a 52-53 yard pass in the 4th quarter "on a rope". He and Craig James agreed that that throw would show the pro scouts that he did indeed have a strong arm. I just looked at the play again on my game tape... it was closer to 55 yards and was delivered with great velocity.

IMO, Phillip Rivers is nothing like Jake Plummer... physically or mentally.

I've seen even weak Qbs complete passes like that from time to time. I'm just trying to caution the hysteria.

It's funny. He has one good week of practices and one big game that is an average game for Rivers this year, and everyone's jumping on his bandwagon.

Numerous posters on this board jumped on me for mentioning Rivers (since I've watched him for years) and now a lot of people are supporting him over very little.

I know you (Wildman), AZCB34, Redrage, Lomax 17, and I were already on the bandwagon. Ah, hell, there's plenty of room....:p

But drafting him at #3 is ridiculous. He doesn't have the physical makeup to be drafted that high, and he is far from a sure thing. In the mid-first round sure, I would love to draft him, but not at #3 where he'll get 6 million per season.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Steve Pisarkewicz(sp.) is all you need to know if it's you think it's possible or not.There's absolutely no way it happens,though. That'd be like trading down from the 6th pick and passing on the best pass rusher in the draft to get some guy named Calvin Pace.

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
krang,

why does't rivers warrant a #3 overall draft pick. he has all the skills that qb needs. it only matters to the owners who have to shell out money for these top draft picks. rivers will win a super bowl for whomever drafts him. i have been on rivers bandwagon since he played the ohio buckeyes. he everything you want in a qb and a player. he a great leader and the cardinals need him. besides how often do teams go deep in a game. three or four times a game. dennis green might go six. out those six times they might hit 3 at the most. how far down the feild do you think the qb throws the ball on a deep route. 40-50 yards at the most. the qbs usually don't have time for a reciever to go 60 yards down feild before the qb throws it.

Wildman©

former FOOTBALL Coach
Reaction score
Re: Re: FWIW...

Originally posted by Krangthebrain
I've seen even weak Qbs complete passes like that from time to time. I'm just trying to caution the hysteria.

I have seen him throw the ball 50+ yards on many occasions during his career at STATE.

It's funny. He has one good week of practices and one big game that is an average game for Rivers this year, and everyone's jumping on his bandwagon.

He has had 4 good to great seasons to show his skills and he has improved each season.

Numerous posters on this board jumped on me for mentioning Rivers (since I've watched him for years) and now a lot of people are supporting him over very little.

I have seen him in person and on local TV for his 4 years at STATE. I have watched him mature into a great field leader and a fine player... he is for real.

I know you (Wildman), AZCB34, Redrage, Lomax 17, and I were already on the bandwagon. Ah, hell, there's plenty of room....:p

But drafting him at #3 is ridiculous. He doesn't have the physical makeup to be drafted that high, and he is far from a sure thing. In the mid-first round sure, I would love to draft him, but not at #3 where he'll get 6 million per season.
]

IMO, giving anyone 6 million per season is ridiculous. However, Phillip has the stats and performances in big games to back up a first round selection. He is just as close to a sure thing as anyone in this draft.