Culpepper for a 2nd round pick?

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
Pardon the Interruption mentioned the other day that Minn. is trying to trade Daunte for a 2nd round pick. I know we just signed Warner to a three year deal, but it would be great to have two good QBs. Culpepper probably wont be ready to play until late in the year. Neither Culpepper nor Warner can make it through a season, but together, they could be quit the tandem.

I know this wont happen here in AZ but I just wanted to bring it up since I'm bored.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we just signed Warner to a three year deal, but it would be great to have two good QBs.
I think the "model" configuration the Cards would like to put together would be:

1. Warner, Experienced Backup, QBOF - or

2. Warner, QBOF*, #3 Vet or Youngster - or

3. Warner, Navarre**, QBOF

* If the QBOF was considered far enough advanced to step in as our #2.

** Dennis Green has expressed confidence in Navarre, but I'm not sold. Like KW, Navarre has the mobility of a tree trunk - not exactly what you want in a modern day QB

I don't think Culpepper would fit into any of the above 3 scenarios, because he'd cost too much and, in any case, would never accept a trade where he wouldn't automatically be the starter.

Note - One other wild card in the equation might be Rohan Davey. I suspect he'd have to show dramatic improvement and really wow the coaches to become a genuine option. But if he did, all bets would be off. He could move Navarre out & become our #2. Or he could become our veteran #3 in a different scenario.

Last edited:

FlagstaffDave

Reaction score
No way. It wouldn't be fair to either QB, both are starting calibur players. You'd have a QB controversy all year long if one gets hurt or one plays better, etc.

To much commotion would go on for a team that needs to have focus and some stability. I'd be extremely surprised if he ended up coming here.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
FlagstaffDave said:
No way. It wouldn't be fair to either QB, both are starting calibur players. You'd have a QB controversy all year long if one gets hurt or one plays better, etc.

To much commotion would go on for a team that needs to have focus and some stability. I'd be extremely surprised if he ended up coming here.

I'd say it's a ton more likely that Vince Young ends up here than DC.

It's not very likely that VY is landed either.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Adam Schefter of NFL Network shot down this rumor.

1. Minn would want more than a just a second

2. Culpepper has more value to MN than anyone else at this point.

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
With Warner signed, I'd like to see the Cards focus on picking up good backup Qb, drafting quality O-Line players, CB, and special teams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser