D-Backs meet with Eric Byrnes about future

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
He's so miserly with his money he'll never take a pay cut!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Popular? The title of the article says Mr. False Hustle is popular. Who still likes the guy? Ugh.

(After typing this I threw on hand into the air, just because...)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is not the NFL. Byrnes will get the remainder of his contract one way or another. We might as well cut him, because his spot on the 40 man roster is just dead weight. We have a log jam of talented young outfielders already. Seems like CF and RF are already spoken for (sorry folks, CY is still going to be there IMO). Can't go wrong with any of the others

asudevil83

Reaction score
i'm just glad his stupid show on Fox Sports is over. it was just like a slap in the face for the past couple of years.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
This can only mean three things. They are:
Option A: They are going to cut him.
Option B: They are asking him to waive his no-trade clause.
Option C: They are trying to work out a buy out.

I assume it will end up with him being cut but I can bet you they are trying every other option to try to get something for him or pay him less than the $11 mil he is owed.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This can only mean three things. They are:
Option A: They are going to cut him.
Option B: They are asking him to waive his no-trade clause.
Option C: They are trying to work out a buy out.

I assume it will end up with him being cut but I can bet you they are trying every other option to try to get something for him or pay him less than the $11 mil he is owed.

The only way a team trades for him is if we take back an overpriced stiff like him. A buyout should happen if theres any justice in the world, I mean it isn't like Byrnes has earned that money.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
The only way a team trades for him is if we take back an overpriced stiff like him. A buyout should happen if theres any justice in the world, I mean it isn't like Byrnes has earned that money.

If the Dbacks were to kick in some money, say $6-$8 million of the contract, we could probably get someone of value like a AA prospect who has talent but is a few years away.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Even when he is healthy, he has not been productive. I don't think it would do any good for him to waive his no trade clause. No team would want that contract. They can either keep him as a reserve or bite the bullet and cut him. I don't think they should cut him unless he accepts a buy out

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even when he is healthy, he has not been productive. I don't think it would do any good for him to waive his no trade clause. No team would want that contract. They can either keep him as a reserve or bite the bullet and cut him. I don't think they should cut him unless he accepts a buy out

But if you can trade him for a SP who is in the same boat, maybe you catch lighting in a bottle. I say go after Dontrelle Willis. They are owed about the same money at this point. At the very least, maybe being the 5th starter in AZ will help him get his confidence back. Eric is owed 11,666,667 and Dontrelle 12,000,000 and both FA's after next year. Magglio Ordonez and become a full time DH and Eric can be the 4th guy in the OF.

Works for me.

OP
OP
PoolBoy

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
But if you can trade him for a SP who is in the same boat, maybe you catch lighting in a bottle. I say go after Dontrelle Willis. They are owed about the same money at this point. At the very least, maybe being the 5th starter in AZ will help him get his confidence back. Eric is owed 11,666,667 and Dontrelle 12,000,000 and both FA's after next year. Magglio Ordonez and become a full time DH and Eric can be the 4th guy in the OF.

Works for me.

I like that idea a lot. I loved Dontrelle back when he burst onto the scene. Maybe coming back to the NL could help him.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
I like the idea of Willis. Maybe with the right coach and less pressure here, he could succeed. We have dead weight with Byrnes. If Willis is a flop we are no worse than we are now

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Webb should have won that Rookie of the Year....

That being said, "Eric Byrnes" and "fan favorite" should never be used in the same sentence without "formerly." Even then I didn't like Eric Byrnes, he annoyed me.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

Works for me.

I like that idea a lot. I loved Dontrelle back when he burst onto the scene. Maybe coming back to the NL could help him.

I like the idea of Willis. Maybe with the right coach and less pressure here, he could succeed. We have dead weight with Byrnes. If Willis is a flop we are no worse than we are now

Willis is unmotivated and willing to watch his "career" fall apart while he banked more money than he is possibly worth. The guy obviously doesn't care, and I'd rather not have him on the D-backs.

Pass.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Willis is unmotivated and willing to watch his "career" fall apart while he banked more money than he is possibly worth. The guy obviously doesn't care, and I'd rather not have him on the D-backs.

Pass.

You are right, we should just trade A-Rod for Byrnes straight up and then have the Yankees pick up 90% of A-Rod's salary. The point of the trade is to get something that may or may not work out since the current player with at best be the 5th guy in the OF next season.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
The thing with Willis is you can't get any less pressure than what he had in Florida. Let's face it, he is done. One guy we could look at but in the end probably pass is Derek Lowe. He is owed a ton of money for 3 years but would fit at Chase because he is a sinker ball pitcher. The Braves are said to want to get out of his contract and need an outfielder. Like I said I doubt we make a trade with them because of the amount he is owed but he is a guy I would much rather have than Willis.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing with Willis is you can't get any less pressure than what he had in Florida. Let's face it, he is done. One guy we could look at but in the end probably pass is Derek Lowe. He is owed a ton of money for 3 years but would fit at Chase because he is a sinker ball pitcher. The Braves are said to want to get out of his contract and need an outfielder. Like I said I doubt we make a trade with them because of the amount he is owed but he is a guy I would much rather have than Willis.

If not for the deal being a 3 year deal, then it would work. With the Willis deal, you will get the same output from Byrnes whether he is here or not. As for Willis in Florida. He had one season that was bad and he still pitched over 200 innings, won 10 games and started 36 games. He never won fewer than 10 games in Florida. If you can get that out of him as the 5th starter, that is much better that Byrnes as the 5th guy in the OF.

By the way, Doug Davis put up almost identical numbers last season to Willis' worst numbers in Florida and made 1.5 million less that Willlis will in 2010.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
You are right, we should just trade A-Rod for Byrnes straight up and then have the Yankees pick up 90% of A-Rod's salary. The point of the trade is to get something that may or may not work out since the current player with at best be the 5th guy in the OF next season.

The point I'm trying to make is dead weight is dead weight, no use swapping one useless player for a detrimental one.

They should cut Byrnes and move on. Swapping him for someone else's trash doesn't make the D-backs any better.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point I'm trying to make is dead weight is dead weight, no use swapping one useless player for a detrimental one.

They should cut Byrnes and move on. Swapping him for someone else's trash doesn't make the D-backs any better.

The team has a very limited budget, which mean that the team is throwing away 10 million dollars. How can you honestly say taking a chance on someone else in a position of need is not a good idea, when the money is being used whether we trade for Willis or cut Eric.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
The team has a very limited budget, which mean that the team is throwing away 10 million dollars. How can you honestly say taking a chance on someone else in a position of need is not a good idea, when the money is being used whether we trade for Willis or cut Eric.

Because I am confident that not only is Willis done as an effective pitcher, but every time he takes the field he will do nothing but hurt the team's chance to win.

Remember when they brought BK Kim back a couple years ago? Sometimes a guy just doesn't have it anymore, and you don't want that player taking the mound for you ever.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I am confident that not only is Willis done as an effective pitcher, but every time he takes the field he will do nothing but hurt the team's chance to win.

Remember when they brought BK Kim back a couple years ago? Sometimes a guy just doesn't have it anymore, and you don't want that player taking the mound for you ever.

Billy Buckner could very well be the 5th starter next year.

Billy Buckner 4-6 with a 6.40 ERA last season age 26
Career 6-8 with a 5.74 ERA

Dontrelle Willis 1-4 with a 7.49 ERA age 27
Career 69-60 with a 4.02 ERA

It is a no brainer to give Willis a chance. If he does not get it going after 3 or 4 starts, you can then cut him. I guarantee at his worst, he give this team as much of a chance to win as Buckner, Petit, Mulvey or Augenstein. At this point the team has Haren and Scherzer penciled in. Webb should get picked up, but he may not be ready when the season start. No matter how sure you are he has nothing left, a couple of starts to see if this is true will not kill this team since at this point there is not enough quality SP's to make a run at the playoffs. Even now with Parker being a question make with health.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Derek Lowe has been productive but according to Wikipedia is in the 2nd year of a 4 year 60 million dollar contract. He is 36 and I would think the risk is too high for a number 2 or 3 pitcher. It could end of being another Eric Byrnes situation.
This horrible contract has done a whole lot of damage to the team. You are paying 11 million for being useless. With this teams budget they cannot make a mistake on a free agent. They have also had to have productive players such as Orlando Hudson, Adam Dunn, Brandon Lyon and Juan Cruz leave due to their budget issues. They have been replaced by less productive cheaper players.

I would be willing to take a chance on Willis since there is one year on his contract. We are not going have many options with Byrnes. If Willis falls flat on his face they are no worse off than they are right now. Anything he can give will be a bonus
If they trade Byrnes they will not get a decent player in return. They could see if he will accept a buyout, try to get something out of him since they have to pay him or just cut him. None are very good options

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derek Lowe has been productive but according to Wikipedia is in the 2nd year of a 4 year 60 million dollar contract. He is 36 and I would think the risk is too high for a number 2 or 3 pitcher. It could end of being another Eric Byrnes situation.
This horrible contract has done a whole lot of damage to the team. You are paying 11 million for being useless. With this teams budget they cannot make a mistake on a free agent. They have also had to have productive players such as Orlando Hudson, Adam Dunn, Brandon Lyon and Juan Cruz leave due to their budget issues. They have been replaced by less productive cheaper players.

I would be willing to take a chance on Willis since there is one year on his contract. We are not going have many options with Byrnes. If Willis falls flat on his face they are no worse off than they are right now. Anything he can give will be a bonus
If they trade Byrnes they will not get a decent player in return. They could see if he will accept a buyout, try to get something out of him since they have to pay him or just cut him. None are very good options

A voice of reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05