D-Backs meet with Eric Byrnes about future

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Billy Buckner could very well be the 5th starter next year.

Billy Buckner 4-6 with a 6.40 ERA last season age 26
Career 6-8 with a 5.74 ERA

Dontrelle Willis 1-4 with a 7.49 ERA age 27
Career 69-60 with a 4.02 ERA

It is a no brainer to give Willis a chance. If he does not get it going after 3 or 4 starts, you can then cut him. I guarantee at his worst, he give this team as much of a chance to win as Buckner, Petit, Mulvey or Augenstein. At this point the team has Haren and Scherzer penciled in. Webb should get picked up, but he may not be ready when the season start. No matter how sure you are he has nothing left, a couple of starts to see if this is true will not kill this team since at this point there is not enough quality SP's to make a run at the playoffs. Even now with Parker being a question make with health.

We're not going to agree with this, but to me Willis' career numbers mean absolutely nothing. What he did early in his career has no bearing on the fact that he is downright awful right now.

I just assume the team not trade one useless player for another. Cut your losses now and move on - no sense in waiting, hoping you can get anything positive out of Byrnes' contract.

As far as the Buckner comparison, I'm not sold on him either and don't think he'll amount to much, but at least his career has a chance to be on an upwards arc, as opposed to Willis whose career is in a steady downward spiral.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
We're not going to agree with this, but to me Willis' career numbers mean absolutely nothing. What he did early in his career has no bearing on the fact that he is downright awful right now.

I just assume the team not trade one useless player for another. Cut your losses now and move on - no sense in waiting, hoping you can get anything positive out of Byrnes' contract.

As far as the Buckner comparison, I'm not sold on him either and don't think he'll amount to much, but at least his career has a chance to be on an upwards arc, as opposed to Willis whose career is in a steady downward spiral.

Agree 100%. At least try to go with the fresher arm. Either one is a 5th starter. If you can get into the 7th it's a bonus.

Invest in relievers. Or put Scherzer there and get an extra starter or two. (Not Willis).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05