D-Backs notebook: Vazquez impressive in Diamondbacks loss

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Dan Zeiger, Tribune

TUCSON - When the starting pitcher in a spring training game throws his last pitch in the bullpen, that usually means he had a very good day.
The left-field bullpen at Tucson Electric Park was Javier Vazquez’s final destination on Thursday, thanks to the efficient outing the Diamondbacks right-hander had against the San Francisco Giants.

In four innings, Vazquez allowed two hits and a run on 44 pitches, which was below his projected count. He hit that target after leaving the game by throwing 11 pitches in the bullpen.

"Last time out, I wasn’t really in a rhythm," said Vazquez, who has given up four hits and two runs in seven spring innings. "My mechanics worked from beginning to end this time."

Arizona’s opening-day starter, Vazquez said he feels better physically and mechanically than he did at this time last spring.

"He was outstanding," manager Bob Melvin said. "The more he is on the mound, the easier it is to get in tune with his mechanics, and he’s showing that. He threw the ball really well."

Vazquez is scheduled to pitch next on Tuesday, which is an off-day for Arizona. He will throw in a minor league game at Kino Sports Complex.

PITCHING UPDATE

The D -Backs’ starting pitchers will start getting four days of rest between appearances, Melvin said.

Also, the next week or so could see some separation in the battle for the fifth spot in the rotation. Brad Halsey, Mike Gosling, Tony Pena and Oscar Villarreal are the leading candidates.

"We have guys who we feel are competing for that spot, and you will be able to figure out yourself when you see how the innings are divided up," Melvin said.

INJURY REPORT

Closer Greg Aquino, who has been sidelined with a strained flexor mass in his right elbow, is not expected to throw again until at least Wednesday, Melvin said.

"There’s no exact timetable," Melvin said, "but that’s what we are looking at right now."

In other news:

• Catcher Kelly Stinnett was unavailable on Thursday because of a groin strain. He will be re-evaluated today.

• Outfielder Luis Terrero was back in the lineup after being scratched from Wednesday’s contest with a tailbone bruise.

HE’S AT SECOND

While the other starters departed early, Craig Counsell got a healthy dose of second base on Thursday, playing seven innings. Counsell is spending the spring getting reacclimated to the position, which he has not played regularly since 1998.

In his previous tenure in Arizona (2000-03), Counsell saw time at all four infield spots.

"I haven’t done (other positions) yet, and I probably won’t, unless they tell me to," Counsell said. "And we haven’t had that conversation. It’s fine with me, but especially this year, I think I’ll be spending most of my time at second."

SHORT HOPS

According to the Street & Smith’s Baseball Yearbook, the 2004 D-Backs, who posted a 51-111 record, are the fourth-worst majorleague team since the start of the expansion era in 1961.

The rankings were determined using each team’s win-loss record, batting and pitching performances and average margin of defeat, compared with the league totals from that same season.

A pair of Detroit Tigers teams, 2003 (43-119) and 1996 (53-109), earned the top two spots. The 1991 Cleveland Indians (57-105) were third. . . .

Melvin said that Arizona "is not too far away" from sending some players to minor league camp, but declined to specify when.

"If I say an exact day for cuts, guys will start looking for it and worrying about it," Melvin said.

AT A GLANCE

Giants 7, D-Backs 2 Notable pitching: Javier Vazquez allowed two hits and a run in four innings. Juan Acevedo gave up five runs (four earned) on four hits — including a grand slam by Jason Ellison — in the ninth to take the loss. Justin Wechsler, Lance Cormier and Jon Cannon each fired a scoreless frame.
Notable hitting: Center fielder Jose Cruz Jr. went 2-for-3 with a triple and RBI, and second baseman Craig Counsell was 1-for-3 with a double.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=37792

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05