Darnell Dockett Deserves His Place in the Cardinals Ring of Fame

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
When Darnell Dockett fell to the turf yesterday having blown out his knee, his dream of leading his Arizona Cardinals on the field to a Super Bowl Championship this season fell with it. In recent days and weeks all Darnell could talk about was how hungry and poised his Birdgang is to win it all.

The truth is---there wouldn't be a Birdgang without Darnell Maurice Dockett. In the NFL there a few Hall of Fame type coaches who can come into an organization and change the culture of a perennial loser. Moreover, there are rare type of players who can change the culture of a woebegone franchise---Darnell Dockett is one of those rare players.

It seem very fitting that after his devastating injury yesterday Dockett tweeted to his Birdgang and his fans that he will be back---because, as he put it---he's come back from worse than this.

So true.

Darnell Dockett's life has always seemed to teeter on the brink of disaster. His mother was murdered in his own home when Darnell was thirteen years old and mere months later his father died of cancer.

Think back to when you were thirteen---and think of what your life would have been if this had happened to you---and then think of where you would be today---

Like the Phoenix itself, Darnell Dockett has managed to rise up time and time again from the proverbial ashes.

Along the way, Darnell has created his own messes---to be sure. Thus, he hasn't been strictly a victim of a merciless fate. His brushes with the law in college prevented him from being drafted in the first round. His own tweets, which have been at times a wonderful source of entertainment and inspiration for Birdgangers all across the USA and beyond, have at other times been extremely inappropriate.

But---if there's one thing that Darnell Dockett understands, it's the importance of learning and the crucial necessity for atonement. This is precisely what his tough life has taught Darnell Dockett. He knows how to rise back up from the depths of pain, despair and disillusionment---and he knows how to amend his own ways.

Whether Dockett can come back from this injury or not, he deserves an ascension into the Arizona Cardinals' Ring of Honor.

In the specific sense---no Arizona Cardinal defensive lineman has appeared in more Pro Bowls (2007, 2009, 2010). He was a First Team All Pro in 2010. He helped to lead the Cardinals to its first ever Super Bowl and in that game on the brightest stage of all, Dockett registered 6 tackles (5 solo) and 3 sacks.

However, in terms of the broader picture, Dockett's legacy in Arizona is one of impassioned leadership and sacrifice. There was a time earlier in Dockett's career where he preferred to train strictly in Florida during the off-season---but, in recognizing the importance of teamwork, Dockett amended his ways and became perhaps the most eager and vocal off-season participant at the Cardinals' headquarters.

When Ray Horton became the Cardinals' defensive coordinator, Dockett quietly accepted his new role as a gap occupier, stating that he would do whatever it took for the team to win. We learned how personally unhappy he was with this role after Horton departed---and everyone who knows and understands the strengths of Dockett's game knows that Dockett is an attack-style defensive tackle who thrives on penetration and disruption.

On a more subjective and personal note---which some may strongly disagree with, which is fine because we all are entitled to our opinions---I never felt more proud of Darnell Dockett than the time in the Meadowlands in New York when he became irate with the coach's decision to give the Jets a TD.

First of all...the Cardinals' recent history versus the Jets in New York has been a nightmare to begin with. Darnell Dockett will never forget the game where his teammate Anquan Boldin was carted off in an ambulance nursing head traumas and skull fractures. Even though the Cardinals were getting routed in that game, Dockett will never forget that the team never quit in that game right to the bitter end.

With these memories in mind, the return to the Meadowlands four years later was one of the most frustrating and agonizing games to watch in that the Cardinals' defense played its ever-living tails off while being on the field for virtually the entire game---while the coach decided to stick with an unprepared, way-over-his-head rookie QB throughout the entire contest, despite the fact that every series was a quick three and out.

Late in the game, a call from the sidelines came in to the defensive huddle: let the Jets score a TD.

For the Cardinals' defense to suddenly just hand the Jets a TD, after fighting tooth and nail in defending every inch of the playing field for the entire game was to a player like Darnell Dockett the ultimate humiliation.

Darnell Dockett took it that way---and delivered his feelings to the player (Kerry Rhodes) who relayed the instructions from the sidelines. There were allegations that Dockett spit in Rhodes' face---which Rhodes later refuted.

But, to be clear, Dockett's frustrations were not with Kerry Rhodes.

This is exactly how a player can do more to change the culture than a coach.

And whenever we hear the term Birdgang---we will always think of you, D-90.

You, D-90, are the greatest fan and promoter of the Arizona Cardinals! No one is more excited when the Cardinals add a good new player than you. You have cheered for players to come to Arizona, and because of you and your teammates, Arizona is no longer a laughing stock for free agents around the NFL. In fact, quite the reverse is true these days.

Franchises need loyal leaders who push them over the hump---you have been all of that, Darnell. Whether you are able to return next year or not, you deserve your hard-earned place in the Arizona Cardinals' Ring of Honor. In fact, it would be especially fitting if you and your pal Adrian Wilson are inducted together. Hail to the both of you for helping to turn the Cardinals' franchise around!

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, while I'm in complete agreement with what you wrote, I think that he'll be back on the field next season, and play for a year or two. Soon thereafter, he'll be enshrined.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I hope him the best, and hope he gets well soon. But none of the other ROH players needed an advocate to justify their career or shenanigans as Mitch just did. I appreciate DD and have often criticized his behavior on and off the field. But to throw Horton under the bus on purpose, end any chance his DC had to be a HC anytime soon. DD is not stupid even though he pleads stupid often.

On the field I seen 4 sacks in regular season in 2008, 3 in the super bowl! that cuts both ways. He was paid top money -way early twice or 3 times- He is well paid for his production on the field. He walked a dishonorable edge for a long long time and I applaud his ability to pull out - just in time.

The hold out and fake injury with Q, showering on the web, saying he wishes Cards fans were like stupid niner fans, disrespecting a star QB's model GF in the middle of a championship game(at least Mussberger was drunk) twitter D twitter Dumb.

I see him as A Conrad Dobbler on Defense, and as a very good Cardinal Player but not in the ROH. I don't see DD as a hall of famer? or a Pat Tillman? but a remembered deviant soul in the futile Cardinals history.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Great post mitch! I to feel he will try to play again next year. I just don't think DD wants to end his career on this on an injury. When he does come back, I hope he is still a cardinal. This won't be his last year.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, while I'm in complete agreement with what you wrote, I think that he'll be back on the field next season, and play for a year or two. Soon thereafter, he'll be enshrined.

I think he will make it back to the field, Garth, and not simply for the money. he wants a ring very badly---and i could see him working out a fair deal with the Cardinals. he has said repeatedly: "I want to retire an Arizona Cardinal."

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dockett will go down as one of the greatest Cardinals ever. Not by shear accolades, but what he meant to the team, the fans, and the image of the team.

With Dockett, gone were the days of the choir boys who couldn't play from the Ferguson era. The try hard players who didn't have talent. I remember during the Super Bowl season, Dockett's sack of Tony Romo, where he totally twisted his facemask. Dockett is a mean SOB, and this team always needed mean SOBs.

Put him in the Ring. Put Larry in the ring too. Along with Warner, those guys define the team of this era, and are some of the greatest players in this teams over 100 years of existance.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Watching Hard Knocks and seeing Bryan Cox, of all people, coaching in the NFL gives me hope that DD will be with this franchise in some capacity even after his playing career is over.

He really is that guy on the team that engages fans and inspires teammates.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely a spot on post Mitch! Great write up and I believe he we will in the Cardinals ROH without a doubt. As I see him retiring due to this injury, I hope I am wrong. He is an amazing leader and I love how he never cares about what people think of him. Also, asking McCarren's girlfriend out on a date via Twitter during the National Championship 2 years ago was priceless. Another amazing fact is, in his 10 years playing he only missed 2 games that entire time. That is something you don't see too often. Wishing you the best DD and hope to see you out on the field in 2015- even if its not in a Cardinals uniform!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching Hard Knocks and seeing Bryan Cox, of all people, coaching in the NFL gives me hope that DD will be with this franchise in some capacity even after his playing career is over.

I thought the exact same thing this morning. Was trying to figure out what Dockett will do when his Career is over and thought if Cox can be a coach why can't Dockett.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Dockett will go down as one of the greatest Cardinals ever. Not by shear accolades, but what he meant to the team, the fans, and the image of the team.

With Dockett, gone were the days of the choir boys who couldn't play from the Ferguson era. The try hard players who didn't have talent. I remember during the Super Bowl season, Dockett's sack of Tony Romo, where he totally twisted his facemask. Dockett is a mean SOB, and this team always needed mean SOBs.

Put him in the Ring. Put Larry in the ring too. Along with Warner, those guys define the team of this era, and are some of the greatest players in this teams over 100 years of existance.

+1.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

He really is that guy on the team that engages fans and inspires teammates.

Very good thought. I think DD will probably team up with Brentson Buckner to coach the d-line this year. He will always be "all in."

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good thought. I think DD will probably team up with Brentson Buckner to coach the d-line this year. He will always be "all in."

I agree that Dockett can still lead from the sideline and locker room. He can also help they younger players like Martin and Stinson.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He will be a great leader on the sideline this year, so its not all lost with him getting injured. :D

seesred

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should wear my DD jersey or frame it. The good news this is not his obit. As a man of men he will rose again. He more than many of the others has unlimited value. I will miss seeing him on the field pushing to win as hard as he could.

Get well soon number 90 and we will see you again on the field of battle as a Cardinal!

GBR

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score

I think DD will be at every game on the sidelines right along BA and 'talking' to the D every time they come off the field... his passion and his leadership in motivating his teammates cannot be replaced by another 'equivalent' defensive lineman... I think BA will see this need and fill it... cuz that is what he does

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good post Mitch but I've have to somewhat disagree with his ROH induction.

Until they put up Jim Hart & Roy Greens name in the rafters, I don't think 9-0 deserves his spot. After that happens I'm all for it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good post Mitch but I've have to somewhat disagree with his ROH induction.

Until they put up Jim Hart & Roy Greens name in the rafters, I don't think 9-0 deserves his spot. After that happens I'm all for it.

So you agree he needs to be there, but just after Green and Hart. So your answer is yes, he deserves to be there. :D

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
As crazy as this might sound---even including the St. Louis Cardinals---since I started following the team in 1963---i would give Dockett strong consideration for the defensive Mount Rushmore with Larry Wilson, Roger Wehrli and Aeneas Williams---I would say it would be between Dockett and Adrian Wilson (which I probably would give to Wilson---but after some consideration).

If we are talking the Cardinals' Mount Rushmore of defensive linemen---I say Dock is in there for sure. Moreso than Eric Swann, imho...who would also have to be one of the 4.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wonderful write up Mitch. Basically mirrors what Dan Bickley wrote a couple weeks back.

I had thought it might be debatable before the Bickley article. Mainly because we have so many players since the U of P era that deserve the accolade. Dockett, Fitz, Warner and Wilson. Thats a lot of guys to put in from a short period of time, but if you think about it, they are responsible for the complete turnaround of this franchise from joke to destination, along with Michael Bidwill of course.

Dockett's action in New Jersey that essentially forced a regime change cannot be understated. But, hand it to Mikey B to realize the life blood of the franchise and the people that it needed to be built on.

Dockett has come to represent what this franchise has become, the heart, soul and persona of what Mikey B has built. Every player who has become "key" to this franchise since represents the same heart and values as Dockett. I would also argue that Dockett's success when given the opportunity out of college despite the naysayers played a huge part in the front office's confidence in bringing in the Honey Badger.

Dockett embodies this franchise and why it has become a destination for players, but not only that, he teaches it and sets the example for everyone around him.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great stuff Mitch!

I agree, DD should be on the Cards Mt. Rushmore of Defensive Linemen!

Like you I have been a fan of the Cards since circa 1965...and I see he is the best DT the Cardinals have ever had! Even better than Swann. He played hurt and always gave it everything he had!

I hope he makes it back to don Cardinal Red again! How fitting if he could get that SB ring too!