David Stern would like to stamp out ‘Hack-a-Shaq’ tactics

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if the guy at the line makes his free throws, then the game could be over then as well. Usually there is an intentional walk to get to a batter that has a worse chance of getting a hit (or on base). Same concept. Intentional fouling is intended to get a guy on the line that has a worse chance of making the shots, but there still is a chance he will and the plan would backfire.

I don't see them as the same. One is an award for being fouled and done outside of normal play. The other still allows the other team to continue during normal play. Not to mention I believe the other coach can counter by replacing said batter with a pinch hitter to counter.

Last edited:

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Exploiting the weakness of the other team is what coaching is about. Deciding who is going to play in a certain game is also a part of the job (I guess not anymore?). Stern is not a coach but wants as much control as possible. To some people like me, coaching is fun to watch.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't see them as the same. One is an award for being fouled and done outside of normal play. The other still allows the other team to continue during normal play.

Not sure where you're going with this one. They give a player a "free pass" with the POTENTIAL to score, but in order to exploit someone who they feel is weaker at a certain skill, in this case, hitting. In basketball, they are exploiting a player who also is weak at a certain skill (free throw shooting). But both "weaker" players have an opportunity to be successful in both scenarios -- the player can get a hit and advance the runners (and himself), and the player can make their free throws. It all has to do with the odds on them doing it. This is all about strategic coaching and if you remove it from the equation, you could come up with an even worse product. IMO.

Not to mention I believe the other coach can counter by replacing said batter with a pinch hitter to counter.

That, of course, is a good point, however in basketball, you see substitutions to avoid intentional fouling all the time. AND you can go back and re-substitute for offensive purposes. You don't have that kind of freedom in baseball.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That, of course, is a good point, however in basketball, you see substitutions to avoid intentional fouling all the time. AND you can go back and re-substitute for offensive purposes. You don't have that kind of freedom in baseball.

The other piece of this is when I substitute in Baseball, I am walking the good player who gets to stay in the game and probably replacing the bad hitter with a better pinch hitter. In basketball, not only must you anticipate your good player getting hack a shaqed but you have to pull them out of the game which hurts your team in other ways because sometimes it's a long time between dead plays.

It's simply bush league. Let actual plays being called and normal play determine outcomes of games. Not manipulating rules.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The other piece of this is when I substitute in Baseball, I am walking the good player who gets to stay in the game and probably replacing the bad hitter with a better pinch hitter. In basketball, not only must you anticipate your good player getting hack a shaqed but you have to pull them out of the game which hurts your team in other ways because sometimes it's a long time between dead plays.

It's simply bush league. Let actual plays being called and normal play determine outcomes of games. Not manipulating rules.

Then when does it stop--how long before people are talking about eliminating fouling altogether in the last 2 minutes of a game? This isn't as isolated as you seem to think it is.

And it is part of the strategy of the game of basketball. Dwight Howard is an amazing player, he should be able to make more than half his free shots--especially at the money he's being paid. But to give him a free pass because of his deficiency is NOT the way to go. That's exactly what this is meant to do.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then when does it stop--how long before people are talking about eliminating fouling altogether in the last 2 minutes of a game? This isn't as isolated as you seem to think it is.

And it is part of the strategy of the game of basketball. Dwight Howard is an amazing player, he should be able to make more than half his free shots--especially at the money he's being paid. But to give him a free pass because of his deficiency is NOT the way to go. That's exactly what this is meant to do.

Nobody it talking about eliminated all fouls in the last 2 minutes, just that bush league type. Also, Dwight Howard is not getting a free pass because he is expected to make the rest of this free throws through the rest of the game. Those misses add up by the end of the game.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Exploiting the weakness of the other team is what coaching is about. Deciding who is going to play in a certain game is also a part of the job (I guess not anymore?). Stern is not a coach but wants as much control as possible. To some people like me, coaching is fun to watch.

Intentional fouling is bad sportsmanship that has nothing to do with strategy or coaching.

Maybe should have something similiar to soccer or assess 2 personal fouls or a foul and a technical for each intentional foul.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Fouling someone intentionally is not a basketball play. It's taking advantage of a rule to put a bad free throw player on the line. It's not that what you're saying doesn't have merit. However, intentionally fouling is not in the spirit of good sportsmanship or the same as a coach calling a play on the court and letting the execution of your play decide the outcome of a game.

If someone is fouled during a play that was called and he misses the free throw because he sucks...that is completely different. Intentional fouls like that are bush league.

I agree. Foul shots are intended to be a reward. Perhaps the team that is fouled should have the option of taking the free throws or just inbounding the ball to retain possession.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree. Foul shots are intended to be a reward. Perhaps the team that is fouled should have the option of taking the free throws or just inbounding the ball to retain possession.

I like this idea, but it would encourage running the clock even more for the leading team.