Deeper Mock Draft

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong.

May not be conventional wisdom but I for one am on the Brohm is better then Ryan bandwagon.

I think Ryans getting better hype because he has a PR guy who has more NFL ears then Brohm does (Jagacynizki opposed to Kragthorpe)

Pete King constantly questions what happened to Brohms stock when he had a a very good year under a new coach - his team just had less success (because of the defense)

Saying all that there is no way in hell the Cards draft Albert at #16. Knowing the Cards like I do they would rather reach for the need position (CB or Pass Rush) then fortify the OL with Albert.

Ok, there are two of you. :)

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Wrong.

May not be conventional wisdom but I for one am on the Brohm is better then Ryan bandwagon.

I think Ryans getting better hype because he has a PR guy who has more NFL ears then Brohm does (Jagacynizki opposed to Kragthorpe)

Pete King constantly questions what happened to Brohms stock when he had a a very good year under a new coach - his team just had less success (because of the defense)

Saying all that there is no way in hell the Cards draft Albert at #16. Knowing the Cards like I do they would rather reach for the need position (CB or Pass Rush) then fortify the OL with Albert.

Sad but true. You need look no further than two of the last three drafts, Rolle and Brown. Don't know much about Albert, but he sure is drawing the draft buzz. If he is as versatile with the potential they are touting, he might be an option with Russ Grimm to tutor him. But you are right, we are looking at cornerback at #16.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
So I went to the site and none of the buttons work so you can't view the mock.

All I get is some message thanking people for visiting.

I was concerned when I read this, but everything is working fine. It might have been a problem on your end.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Hey, I REALLY REALLY want to thank you guys for the spirited debate we had today. You have to keep in mind, you know the Cardinals better than me. Thank you guys for sharing your input, even ifwe didn't all agree.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Albert is the best guy on their board at 16 then I have no problem with the pick. I just can't see the Cards using 3 out of the 1st 4 picks on offense.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Albert is the best guy on their board at 16 then I have no problem with the pick. I just can't see the Cards using 3 out of the 1st 4 picks on offense.
Amen! The Lord Said, "you got to rise up hah!"

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Thats just ********

You're right. He may go 5th to the Chiefs, but if he was still there at #16, it's "********" to think that's good value. Thanks for helping me out. I'm going to go pee on myself now.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. He may go 5th to the Chiefs, but if he was still there at #16, it's "********" to think that's good value. Thanks for helping me out. I'm going to go pee on myself now.

Yeah, I hate that word also, but not thankfully to the extent that I'd want to pee on myself.;)

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So I went to the site and none of the buttons work so you can't view the mock.

All I get is some message thanking people for visiting.
Probably a good thing. You want me to throw it up there for you?

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ok dude. LOL
Round 1

1. Miami Dolphins: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
The Dolphins aren’t in as bad shape as their 1-15 record would indicate. Parcells and company have made the commitment to getting younger and improving in the trenches. Jason Taylor is still an impact player and if Joey Porter can stay healthy they have two players who have the ability to change the game. However, Taylor doesn’t have many years left and Porter is going to have a lot of problems staying healthy. Long is a high motor player who gives a 100% no matter what the situation and he fits the mold of what a Parcell’s guy actually is. He can play in either the 3-4 or 4-3 and is the most polished defensive prospect in the draft.

2. St. Louis Rams: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
The Rams have a difficult choice to make at #2. Jake Long would be a fine pick, since Orlando Pace is getting older and Alex Barron has been a penalty machine. Glenn Dorsey would move last year’s first rounder, Adam Carriker, outside to end. Ultimately, Gholston would be the best choice because St. Louis desperately seeks an edge pass rusher. The team often uses a 3-4 base on passing downs, and Gholston would play end in the 4-3, but should have little trouble picking his hand up and switching to linebacker when the situation calls for it. This will be an interesting selection to monitor and could very easily be Chris Long if he doesn’t end up in Miami.

3. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
The Falcons have a lot of work to do and building in the trenches is their main concern. The Falcons have a lot of selections on the first three rounds but finding a franchise left tackle is one of the most challenging obstacles for teams. Long will anchor the Falcons offensive line for the next decade. For those of you who think Matt Ryan is the selection the Falcons do the right thing and don’t select him this early. Ryan had shown too many inconsistencies to be a top 3 pick and the Falcons have some better options in Round 2 at quarterback. Long is the pick and a very smart choice at #3 overall.

4. Oakland Raiders: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
Oakland is most likely hoping that one of the Longs or Vernon Gholston is available when they are on the clock. Here, that is not the case. I still don’t think Darren McFadden is the pick. Al Davis may find it difficult to pass on him, but the Raiders already have Justin Fargas, Michael Bush, and Dominic Rhodes (and LaMont Jordan, but he’ll be let go at some point in the offseason). Right now, Derrick Burgess and Jay Richardson are the only notable holdovers at DE. Kalimba Edwards has always had potential, but Oakland can’t rely on him for anything more than depth. This pick could be traded to someone that wants McFadden. This would allow the Raiders to move down and take Sedrick Ellis, Derrick Harvey, or a tackle like Ryan Clady or Chris Williams. However, we aren’t factoring in trades (and Al Davis has never traded down in the first round before anyway), so Dorsey has to be the pick. Tommie Kelly’s massive contract locks him into the three-technique, but Dorsey would provide some desperately needed stability alongside him.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.
Sedrick Ellis is very tempting for the Chiefs but they desperately need offensive line help. Clady isn’t the 5th best player in the draft but he might be the second best tackle. Clady, Chris Williams and Jeff Otah are all very different styles of offensive lineman and Clady may not be the best fit for what the Chiefs want. Don’t be surprised to see a different tackle taken but Clady is the best overall of the group.

6. New York Jets: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
When we did our post-combine mock draft, it was determined that the Jets had too many holes along the defensive front seven to take the talented back out of Arkansas. Many of those holes have been plugged since the start of free agency, and now it seems likely that McFadden will not fall beyond #6. Don’t be shocked if New York takes one of the cornerbacks here, but McFadden’s value and potential would be difficult to pass up.

7. New England Patriots: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee St.
The Patriots began to rebuild their secondary but with no real impact players. DRC has flown up everyone’s draft charts and most people are in agreement that no one has better natural skills for the position. He should get a lot of playing time early on and should make a significant impact on the aging secondary. We would say that he is the best cornerback in the draft and there is a possibility he goes even higher than #7.

8. Baltimore Ravens: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
Many have Matt Ryan slotted in here, but the Ravens would be more than happy to take McKelvin or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. The Patriots will likely take one of the two, so Baltimore will snag the other. Chris McAllister is getting older and Samari Rolle’s best days are long gone. Despite all of the hype surrounding Matt Ryan, this is still far too early for him to be selected.

9. Cincinnati Bengals: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
The Bengals are very fortunate to have Ellis fall into their laps at #9 overall. Their defense has been terrible the past two seasons and has been a big reason for their lack of success. They haven’t been able to stop the run and losing Justin Smith in free agency also hurts their pass rush but the addition of Ellis can aid both of those areas. Another offensive tackle would be a good addition but you can’t pass up Ellis here and they already have a ton of money invested into Levi Jones, Willie Anderson and Stacy Andrews.

10. New Orleans Saints: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
This wouldn’t be an ideal situation for New Orleans. They would love to have McKelvin or Rodgers-Cromartie, and if both are gone they’d probably target Sedrick Ellis. With all three off the board, the Saints turn to Aqib Talib. He could finally provide the Saints with a true #1 cornerback. He gets the slight edge over Keith Rivers only because patching the defensive secondary is more of a need.

11. Buffalo Bills: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
The Bills top selection would be a cornerback if DRC, McKelvin or Talib was available with this selection but since all three are gone they turn to the wide receiver position. Malcolm Kelly gets a strong look from the Bills but with his injury concerns and his questionable speed he isn’t worth taking 11th overall. Although it should be noted that the Bills don’t always beat to the same drum as everyone else and aren’t afraid to reach for a player. Sweed is a tall receiver with good hands but only average speed. He would be a perfect compliment to Lee Evans and adds another weapon for Trent Edwards.

12. Denver Broncos: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
The Broncos absolutely have to draft an impact defensive tackle. Marcus Thomas is talented enough to start, but troubled enough to wind up suspended for a significant amount of time. Aside from him, Denver doesn’t have a quality defensive tackle. I’m starting to think there could be a number of teams trying to position themselves to trade up for Sedrick Ellis if he gets past the Chiefs at #5. He’s off the board here, so Balmer is a decent value. Chris Williams would fill their need at left tackle, but Sam Baker or Anthony Collins could possibly be there in the second round.

13. Carolina Panthers: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
The Panthers could go a couple of different directions with this pick. Kenny Phillips stock has been falling but would greatly help their secondary and would be able to make an impact immediately. Drafting a running back such as Rashard Mendenhall or Jonathan Stewart would solidify the running game. However, the Panthers have made it a mission to re-tool their offensive line. They were able to retain both Jordan Gross (who will stay at right tackle) and Travelle Wharton who will move inside to guard to take over for the departed Mike Wahle. Ryan Kalil takes over at center for Justin Hartwig leaving the only real hole at left tackle. Chris Williams give the Panthers a much better line than they had in 2007 and I would expect rushing yardage to go up and sacks to go down.

14. Chicago Bears: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
This should come down to Jeff Otah and Rashard Mendenhall. To the dismay of the Detroit Lions, who pick 15th, the Bears will go with Mendenhall. He’s going to be too tempting to pass on. Surely, they’ve already been familiar with him for quite some time, seeing as how he played his college ball at Illinois. Cedric Benson hasn’t worked out and the running game must get back on track for Chicago to do the same next season. Their need for an offensive tackle can be addressed in the second round with someone like Carl Nicks.

15. Detroit Lions: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
The Lions haven’t had a solid running game since Barry Sanders and could use a huge upgrade at that position. They have some needs on the defensive side of the ball and Keith Rivers would be an interesting selection but Stewart is too good to pass up. The releasing of Kevin Jones and not being able to sign Julius Jones shows that the Lions were attempting to upgrade at running back but failed to do so until now. A cornerback is also a need but the Lions acquired Brian Kelly who is an upgrade.

16. Arizona Cardinals: Branden Albert, OL, Virginia
The Cardinals desperately need a cornerback, but they’d get a better value by waiting until the second round. Branden Albert could step in and start immediately for an Arizona team that is primed for a playoff run in 2008. He may even be their left tackle of the future. This pick could also be Felix Jones or one of the other backs.

17. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
The first big surprise pick of the draft as Matt Ryan is the perfect quarterback for Brad Childress. The questions surrounding Ryan don’t bother the Vikings because their quarterback situation is not very good currently. They desperately need help at the defensive end position but there are some quality defensive ends available in the second round. The Vikings desperately need help at quarterback and Ryan is what they view as the answer.

18. Houston Texans: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
This would be a nightmare scenario for the Texans. They are most likely targeting Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, or Branden Albert. All three are gone and Jeff Otah isn’t a system fit. However, Derrick Harvey is still on the board, and is an absolute steal this late in the round. That defensive line would be incredible.

19. Philadelphia Eagles: DeSean Jackson, WR, California
The Eagles need a playmaker on the offensive side of the ball other than Brian Westbrook. Kevin Curtis had a great year but he is better served playing in the slot and Reggie Brown isn’t a #1. Jackson has explosive playmaking ability that can help in their return game as well. The Eagles could look to add depth at few positions along the offensive line or in the secondary but proving either McNabb or Kevin Kolb weapons is an important need.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
Joey Galloway hasn’t been slowed by time, but one would think his career should be coming to a close within the next few years. Tampa doesn’t have much else at the position, so Thomas would be a slam dunk.

21. Washington Redskins: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
There are some concerns about Kelly’s health but he could be the best receiver in this draft. The Redskins have a solid receiving corps but the addition of Kelly gives them 3 viable targets. Kelly has great hands and is getting better (as long as he is healthy). They could go with a defensive end but that likely would have only been if Harvey fell to them at this spot. Kelly is good selection and should open some eyes.

22. Dallas Cowboys: Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
Jerry Jones says he isn’t going to pay the price to move into the top five for McFadden, and he shouldn’t. The other back from Arkansas is a perfect change-of-pace for the Cowboys offense. Adding Adam Jones takes away the team’s need for a cornerback, and there should be plenty of quality receivers to pick from later in the draft.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
The Steelers are looking to add some depth on their offensive line but Jeff Otah is more suited to play right tackle and it appears the Steelers are bringing back Max Starks and have incumbent Willie Colon set at that spot. The Steelers could use some depth in their secondary as Deshea Townsend is getting older and Bryant McFadden is set to be a free agent in 2009. Jenkins is a good value pick and adds some depth to their secondary.

24. Tennessee Titans: James Hardy, WR, Indiana
Tennessee needs to get Vince Young some weapons. Alge Crumpler was a nice start, but help at receiver is a necessity. Hardy is big and fast. A month or two ago, the Titans may have thought they’d have a chance at Young’s college teammate, Limas Sweed, but it’s unlikely that he’ll fall to #24 after solid performances at both the combine and his pro day. Hardy is in the same mold as Sweed.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
Keller put together quite an offseason and is ranked as the top tight end on many teams boards. He is probably the best receiving tight end in the draft but is not as complete as some others. Remember the Seahawks over-drafted Stevens a few years ago because of his athletic ability. The Seahawks will use Keller as more of a receiver for a passing game that needs some weapons. They could look at a wide receiver with this pick but most of them are gone and I know Branden Albert is a high priority so don’t be surprised if they trade up.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC
The Jaguars need an edge pass rusher and Quentin Groves is still on the board, but Keith Rivers is too good to pass up. Jacksonville would be thrilled to get the draft’s top linebacker with their first pick. The one pitfall is that they must make sure they address their defensive line with some of their other picks.

27. San Diego Chargers: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
The Chargers would be thrilled if Otah falls to them at 27. They cut lose their starting right tackle, Shane Olivea, and could have found a much better option in the first round. Otah would give the Chargers are very good set of tackles and give added protection to Phillip Rivers. Kenny Phillips is also an option but getting a talent like Otah at 27 can be a steal.

28. Dallas Cowboys: Early Doucet, WR, LSU
This would leave the Cowboys in great shape for years to come. Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn are both in the twilight of their careers, and Patrick Crayton may never develop into anything more than a good third receiver.

29. San Francisco 49ers: Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn
The 49ers got a great playmaker on defense in last years draft and they get another one here in Quentin Groves. He should be able to make the transition to OLB fairly easily because of his natural speed and athleticism. The 49ers are still waiting on Manny Lawson to develop but Groves will make an impact from day 1.

30. Green Bay Packers: Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
Many consider Flowers to be one of the top fifteen players in the entire draft, but he’ll most likely slide due to off-the-field issues. He could contribute in Green Bay as the nickel back from day one. Following the eventual departure of Al Harris or Charles Woodson, Flowers should easily be able to step into a starting role if he can stay out of trouble.

31. New York Giants: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami
The Super Bowl champs have a few holes to fill and one of the bigger ones is at linebacker. They also lost starting safety Gibril Wilson to the Raiders and brought in Sammy Knight as a stop gap to when they find a quality starter and that guy is Kenny Phillips. Phillips could fall this far but it’s a great value with a player with his ability. This is a great pick for the Giants.

Round 2

32. Miami Dolphins: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
This is why the Dolphins shouldn’t even consider Matt Ryan with the first overall selection. Brohm is not only a netter value, but arguably, a better quarterback. John Beck was selected in the second round a year ago, but he isn’t the answer. Josh McCown was added early on in free agency, but he’s nothing more than a stopgap.

33. St. Louis Rams: Sam Baker, OT, USC
The Rams are in need of some offensive line help as Marc Bulger was put on his back way too many times last season. Orlando Pace hasn’t been able to stay healthy for the past two seasons so finding an eventual replacement could be important. Baker has the versatility to play any position on the line and could fill in at right tackle next season and eventually move to the left side. Gosder Cherlius would be an option but he can only play on the right side.

34. Atlanta Falcons: Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware
If there is one certainty in the 2008 NFL draft, it’s that the Atlanta Falcons will draft a quarterback. One would think it would be with one of their second round selections. Flacco is considered to have the strongest arm in the class. Don’t be surprised to see Atlanta package a couple of these picks in an attempt to move up and take Brohm (or Ryan if he falls past the Vikings).

35. Kansas City Chiefs: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
The Chiefs cut loose Ty Law this offseason and Patrick Surtain isn’t getting any younger. Cason is a great value at this point as he may be the most underrated defensive back in the draft. If the Chiefs go with a defensive lineman with their first round pick they may be able to get good value for an offensive lineman with this selection.

36. New York Jets: Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska
Nicks and Woody would be interchangeable on the right side of the offensive line. Each is capable of playing either guard or tackle. This selection would cap off a tremendous turn-around for the New York and their line. Gosder Cherilus is another potential pick, but Nicks projects better as a pro guard, in the event that the Jets feel that Damien Woody will play right tackle for an extended period of time. Look for the Jets to go after a 3-4 defensive end later in the draft.

37. Atlanta Falcons: Dan Connor, LB, Penn St.
The Falcons continue their rebuilding effort and they get a great value here at 37. Connor is a first round talent and very underrated. He has the ability to play any linebacker position and is a tackling machine. This is a comparable situation to last year when Paul Posluzny fell to the Bills in the second round and work out pretty well for them.

38. Baltimore Ravens: Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
Moore has the athleticism to shift outside and play defensive end in the 3-4. This is an area where Baltimore has to find youth. If Brohm was still here, he’d be tough to pass on, but we’ve made it easy for them. The other possibility is a left tackle, but there isn’t really anyone here that would be a decent value. Cherilus projects as a better prospect at right tackle.

39. San Francisco 49ers: Gosder Cherlius, OT, Boston College
The 49ers traded up last year to get Joe Staley who they hope becomes their franchise left tackle. Staley hit some bumps in the road but their entire offensive line needs some work. Cherlius will be a solid right tackle and could potentially move to the inside if need be. They need help mostly at the guard position but incumbent left tackle Adam Snyder may be better suited to move inside.

40. New Orleans Saints: Fred Davis, TE, USC
It’s no secret that the Saints have been working hard to try to acquire Jeremy Shockey. While those talks have fallen through, New Orleans would be happy to get fred Davis at this spot. Davis is arguably the best tight end in the draft. The Saints could also opt to go with a defensive tackle.

41. Buffalo Bills: Justin King, CB, Penn St.
The Bills suffered last season without a shutdown corner and really missed the presence of Nate Clements. Adding a cornerback via the draft is a high priority and I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Bills take one in the first round. King put on a great show at the combine and was one of the fastest cornerbacks to run a 40 that day. He has great athleticism but some question marks surrounding his character.

42. Denver Broncos: Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas
Finding an offensive lineman that fits the zone blocking system is a challenge. However, Collins is athletic enough to be a good fit at left tackle. It wouldn’t be surprising to see Denver go with a tackle in the first round and address defensive tackle here.

43. Carolina Panthers: DaJuan Morgan, S, North Carolina St.
The Panthers are in desperate need for help at the safety position. Morgan is a talented and athletic safety who would help give the Panthers a playmaker in the secondary. There is a possibility that the Panthers would select a running back but they may be able to get a power running back in the third round.

44. Chicago Bears: Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
Chicago’s greater need is at tackle, but with none worthy of being a second round selection available, the Bears go with Chilo Rachal. If the talented guard from USC stayed in school for an extra year, he could have been a first rounder in the 2009 draft. While the Bears would be disappointed to see so many tackles off the board at #44, Rachal is a great consolation pick.

45. Detroit Lions: Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee
Mayo could very well go in the first round and had a great showing at the combine. The Lions need to get more athletic on defense and Mayo fits Rod Marinelli’s style of defense. The Lions could also look at drafting a cornerback but Mayo is a solid choice and may even end up being a steal at this point in the draft.

46. Cincinnati Bengals: Erin Henderson, OLB, Maryland
Barring a trade of superstar wide receiver Chad Johnson, the Bengals should turn to defense again with their second selection. Erin Henderson could step in and immediately contribute to a defense that has struggled to find consistency over the past few years.

47. Minnesota Vikings: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
The Vikings would be ecstatic if Merling fell the them all the way to #47 overall because they would probably consider taking him at 17 if Ryan and Harvey were not available. Merling has a huge upside and the Vikings are in desperate need of a defensive end. They would have taken one in the first round but the belief is that the same value at 17 would be available at 47. So the Vikings get a defensive end who some people say is better than former teammate Gaines Adams.

48. Atlanta Falcons: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
The Falcons need a lot of help at a number of different positions. This is simply a value pick. Campbell could easily end up going towards the later third of the first round. With so many picks in the first couple of rounds, the Falcons can afford to go with Campbell.

49. Philadelphia Eagles: Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC
The Eagles always like taking defensive lineman and they get a very good one later on in the second round. They cut loose Jevon Kearse and while Jackson is nowhere near the pass rusher Kearse is, he may be better against the run. Not to mention Jevon Kearse hasn’t been able to stay healthy. This is a very good use with the 49th overall pick. Some have questioned Lawrence Jackson’s speed but his 10 yard split in the 40 was 1.60 seconds while Derrick Harvey had a 1.59 second split. Not too bad of speed.

50. Arizona Cardinals: Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina
Johnson can provide the lightning that would complement Edge’s thunder. The only downside to going with Albert and Johnson is that the defense could probably use a couple of upgrades. At this point, there still figure to be a number of good cornerbacks on the board when the Cardinals pick again.

51. Washington Redskins: Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue
Avril may be better suited to stand up and play linebacker in the 3-4 but he has amazing speed and has enough bulk to play defensive end. He had the ability to be a great pass rusher and while some may view this as a reach it’s a pretty accurate account of where Avril will go in the draft. The Redskins need a young defensive end who has the ability to get to the passer.

52. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Xavier Adibi, OLB, Virginia Tech
Adibi is a perfect fit in Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 defense. The combination of Adibi’s athleticism and the Bucs’ system could add up to a rookie of the year candidate. This pick is a perfect fit for both the player and the team.

53. Pittsburgh Steelers: Trevor Laws, DL, Notre Dame
Laws played defensive tackle at Notre Dame but will move to defensive end if the Steelers take him with this pick. He is quick of the ball and the Steelers are looking to add some youth to their defensive line. Laws is a good value pick and could flourish as an end in the 3-4.

54. Tennessee Titans: Donnie Avery, WR, Houston
With the Titans first two selections, they get a big red zone target for Young (Hardy) and now a deep threat (Avery). Avery may be the fastest player in the entire draft. It is crucial for Tennessee to surround Vince Young with talent. It just doesn’t make sense to have such a talent at quarterback if you aren’t going to give him the ingredients he needs in order to develop into a franchise player.

55. Seattle Seahawks: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan
Seattle lost D.J. Hackett in free agency and they can’t count on the health of Deion Branch to last an entire year so they need to get younger in their wide receiving corps. Manningham has big play ability but he isn’t that big and doesn’t have great speed. He would give the Seahawks another weapon to go along with Dustin Keller and many people believe that Manningham is a borderline first round pick.

56. Green Bay Packers: Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas
Ryan Grant exploded onto the scene and is clearly the starting tailback headed into 2008. As good as he is Green Bay doesn’t have any depth to speak of at the position. Jamaal Charles would be an excellent third down back.

57. Miami Dolphins: Duane Brown, OT, Virginia Tech
The Dolphins offensive line wasn’t terrible last year but could be much better. They brought in Justin Smiley to help at guard but an athletic tackle is exactly what they need. Brown has risen up draft charts recently because of his athleticism and the projection that most scouts think that he still has the chance to get a lot better and he has amazing potential.

58. Jacksonville Jaguars: Pat Sims, DT, Auburn
Jacksonville has to compensate for the losses of Marcus Stroud and Grady Jackson. It’s been awhile since defensive tackle has been a position of need for the Jaguars and with Sims and John Henderson, it may be awhile before it is again. The only other major area of concern is at defensive end, where the Jags need to find an edge pass rusher later in the draft.

59. Indianapolis Colts: Roy Schuening, G, Oregon St.
The Colts need a guard to replace Jake Scott and Schuening fits very well into their system. The Colts could use a linebacker to play in their Cover-2 but there are a few guys that will be available late in the third round who can fill that void. For now they get a solid guard who can add some additional youth to their offensive line.

60. Green Bay Packers: Marcus Howard, DE, Georgia
Howard is one of the more intriguing prospects in this year’s draft. Skeptics worry that he isn’t the ideal size of a defensive end, but he can flat out play. He may end up being a linebacker in a 3-4, but here, Green Bay takes him and utilizes his pass rushing skills at defensive end in the 4-3.

61. Dallas Cowboys: Reggie Smith, CB/S, Oklahoma
A very good value pick this late in the second round. The Cowboys are trying to trade for Pacman Jones but even with all the uncertainty about the stability of his character getting another cornerback, especially a versatile one who can play safety like Smith would be a good selection here.

62. New England Patriots: Curtis Lofton, ILB, Oklahoma
The Patriots linebackers are getting extremely old and with Junior Seau in limbo for next year and the Patriots saying goodbye to Roosevelt Colvin the only inside linebacker left is Tedy Bruschi, who isn’t very young either. Lofton is a solid prospect and should be able to fit in with the 3-4 defense and his lack of speed won’t kill him as much in that scenario.

63. New York Giants: Shawn Crable, LB, Michigan
The Giants lost Reggie Torbor and Kawika Mitchell to free agency and need to find a suitable replacement. Crable has played defensive end and linebacker at Michigan and could play in the 4-3, although some view him as more of an outside linebacker in a 3-4. Ali Highsmith would be a good choice here as well but the Giants would probably be scared off by his slow 40.

Round 3

64. Miami Dolphins: Johnny Dingle, DE, West Virginia
Dingle played well at West Virginia in a 3-3-5. He is best suited for a 3-4, and everybody knows that Bill Parcells loves to draft talented defensive players. The remodeling of one of the league’s worst run defenses continues here in the third round.

65. St. Louis Rams: Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida
The Rams cut loose Isaac Bruce who has been a very good receiver but injury plagued throughout most of his career. Caldwell had a very good Senior Bowl and has very good speed. He may not fall this far in the draft but if he does the Rams would love to pair him up with Tory Holt.

66. Kansas City Chiefs: Thomas DeCoud, S, California
The Chiefs could go in a number of directions with this pick. However, they’ll take DeCoud, who could easily come off the board in the middle of the second round. The Chiefs’ defensive secondary is in shambles. Some young talent would be a welcome addition.

67. Carolina Panthers: Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
The Panthers are going to be looking to eventually replace Jake Delhomme and this draft has some interesting prospects available in this range. Henne is an interesting prospect and we don’t feel that he has a very high ceiling. But what it comes down to is that Henne is similar to Delhomme. Andre Woodson is also a possibility and may have a higher ceiling but more of a boom or bust type quarterback.

68. Atlanta Falcons: Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M
Grady Jackson and Rod Coleman are now both former Falcons. That leaves a huge void in the middle of the defensive line. Bryant would give Atlanta a valuable weapon against the opposition’s running game.

69. New England Patriots: Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers
Running back isn’t a huge priority for the Patriots but Ray Rice is a nice change of pace back from Laurence Maroney and catches the ball pretty well out of the backfield. Kevin Faulk is getting older and Rice could be his eventual replacement.

70. Chicago Bears: Tony Hills, OT, Texas
At worst, Hills is good depth at tackle. There isn’t a good reason to go with anything other than another offensive player here. With Mendenhall, Rachal, and Hills, Chicago would look more like their Super Bowl team than they did this past season.

71. Jacksonville Jaguars: Josh Barrett, SS, Arizona St.
The Jaguars made a good first round selection last year when they took Reggie Nelson and now they give him a partner in the defensive backfield. Barrett is a workout warrior who had a great combine and helped himself more than any other safety in the draft. Barrett is a possible second round pick but this is where he goes and he is an interesting prospect.

72. Buffalo Bills: John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame
Carlson didn’t run well at the combine, but it turns out that it was due to illness. He had a much better showing at his pro day. There are probably teams that have Carlson rated as the top tight end in the draft. He’s a good fit for the Bills because they have to find another target to go along with Lee Evans.

73. Minnesota Vikings: John Greco, OT, Toledo
The Vikings would like to improve the right side of their offensive line and would be willing to address this earlier in the draft but with Ryan falling to them at 17 it changes their plans. Greco had a very good combine and improved his 40 at Toledo’s Pro Day but he is also versatile enough where he can move inside and play guard. Greco is one of the more underrated offensive lineman in such a deep draft.

74. Carolina Panthers: Kevin Smith, RB, Central FloridaIn the past couple of weeks, there has been some buzz that the Panthers are strongly considering Rashard Mendenhall in the first round. They reportedly want to stay with a two back system and are actively seeking a replacement for DeShaun Foster. DeAngelo Williams is probably good enough to start, but pairing him with Kevin Smith or Matt Forte would be ideal. Either would be a steal at this point. Even if both are gone, one of the backs will fall to this spot, meaning Carolina is much better off going with a tackle in the first round.

75. San Francisco 49ers: Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt
The 49ers added a stud inside linebacker last year in Patrick Willis but cut loose Derek Smith this offseason and could use another inside linebacker to team up with Willis for the next few years. Goff is a very solid pick here and many people believe the 49ers will add a wide receiver early on it has actually become not as high of a priority with the signings of Isaac Bruce and Bryant Johnson.

76. Detroit Lions: Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana
There are a number of quality cornerbacks on the board. The Lions will have a difficult decision between Porter, Terrell Thomas, and a few others. Overall, the Lions are getting a first round value at a position of need, so it would be difficult for them to pass up the talented corner from Indiana.

77. Cincinnati Bengals: Tyrell Johnson, SS, Arkansas St.
The Bengals would like to address some of their issues on the offensive side of the ball but Tyrell Johnson is a guy who has been climbing up everyone’s draft charts and ran a great 40 at the combine. He is a good pick and a nice improvement to the Bengals secondary.

78. New Orleans Saints: Ali Highsmith, WLB, LSU
There’s been a lot of talk about Highsmith’s sub par forty-yard dash time at the combine. He ran a little better at his pro day, but has likely fallen out of the first two rounds. This could be a case where the player plays faster than his “timed speed.” If that’s the case, the Saints will have a steal in the third round.

79. Houston Texans: Quentin Demps, FS, UTEP
One of the primary needs for the Texans is drafting a left tackle but there isn’t a tackle left who can help immediately. Demps will fill a big void at the free safety spot and will compete for significant time as a rookie. Since the Texans don’t have a second round pick its important to get a good value with this selection.

80. Philadelphia Eagles: Vince Hall, ILB, Virginia Tech
The Eagles defense is getting a makeover this offseason. The team has gotten a lot younger on that side of the ball and it will continue here with the addition of Vince Hall. Hall was one of the leaders on one of college football’s best defensive units last season at Virginia Tech.

81. Arizona Cardinals: Terrell Thomas, CB, USC
The Cardinals need some help at cornerback and this draft is pretty deep at corner and Thomas who is more of a second round talent falls to the Cardinals mid way through the 3rd round. He is a taller corner who could move to free safety if needed but is a good pick for the Cardinals.

82. Minnesota Vikings: Marcus Harrison, DT, Arkansas
If the draft played out like this, many would say that the Vikings did better than any other team in the NFL. The run defense was amazing last season, but the additions of Merling and Harrison would assure that it stayed that way for years to come. There is a possibility that Minnesota could decide to go with an edge pass rusher here, but there’s a decent chance they could land someone like UCLA’s Bruce Davis later.

83. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Demario Pressley, DT, North Carolina St.
The Buccaneers had a lot of money to spend this offseason and plugged a lot of holes via free agency so they don’t have a ton of areas where they need to improve immediately. They currently have 6 quarterbacks on their roster (one of which is Jake Plummer) but Andre Woodson is still available and is better than the majority of quarterbacks they have. But Pressley has some upside and the Bucs could use some depth at defensive tackle.

84. Washington Redskins: Jamar Adams, SS, Michigan
Adams brings a physical presence at safety. The circumstances for which Washington needs to acquire him are unfortunate, but the Redskins will be thrilled to find a true strong safety.

85. Tennessee Titans: Chris Ellis, DE, Virginia Tech
The Titans lost Travis LaBoy and Atwan Odom this offseason and began to rectify those losses by signing Jevon Kearse. They need to add another defensive end who can get to the passer otherwise their secondary will be taken advantage of as it was last year when they didn’t put any pressure on the quarterback. Ellis has that ability playing for a good defense at Virginia Tech last season.

86. Seattle Seahawks: Matt Forte, RB, Tulane
Yes, Seattle signed T.J. Duckett and Julius Jones to relatively large deals. Consider this selection an insurance policy at running back. Duckett and Jones have both been disappointing throughout their careers, and the reality of the situation is that Forte is probably better than both of them.

87. Detroit Lions: Drew Radovich, G, USC
The Lions could use some help all across the offensive line and Radovich started at left guard for USC this past season but has played almost every position on the offensive line so his versatility would be a key addition for the Lions. They still could use another tackle but Radovich versatility is what makes him the selection here.

88. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike McGlynn, G/T, Pittsburgh
The Steelers are attempting to revamp their offensive line but didn’t want to reach for a capable one in the first two rounds. McGlynn is versatile and can play just about anywhere on the offensive line and has played in the Steelers backyard for the last four seasons.

89. Jacksonville Jaguars: Brian Johnston, DE, Gardner-Webb
Johnston was dominating throughout his college career and at the Hula Bowl. The Jaguars complete the restoration of their front seven with the addition of a pass rushing defensive end.

90. Chicago Bears: Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State
The Bears are counting on big years from Mark Bradley and Devin Hester. They’ve added Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd so they have quantity, but it would be more settling to add another player to the mix. Nelson is a good value and could compete for time as the team’s slot receiver.

91. Green Bay Packers: Mike Pollack, C/G, Arizona St.
The Packers need some depth across their offensive line and Pollack could push for some significant playing time. He fits well with their system and if he had played guard more in college he would have been a higher selection.

92. Dallas Cowboys: Tavares Gooden, ILB, Miami
Assuming Dallas keeps all of it’s picks, there aren’t going to be any pressing needs to fill by this selection. Gooden provides depth at inside linebacker. There is a decent chance that the Cowboys will concentrate a couple of these mid-rounders on youth and depth on their defensive front seven and offensive line.

93. Indianapolis Colts: Ezra Butler, LB, Nevada
Butler is a very athletic and talented linebacker who can play very quickly from sideline to sideline. He would be a good fit in the Cover-2 and is the type of linebacker the Colts need more of.

94. New England Patriots: Jeremy Zuttah, OT, Rutgers
The only way the Patriots make it past the third round without taking a lineman is if the NFL takes more picks away from them! In typical New England form, the team goes with the productive tackle from Rutgers. Three years down the road, he’ll probably be going to the pro bowl.

95. New York Giants: Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn
Aaron Ross had a very good rookie season but Sam Madison is getting older and Corey Webster was a liability at times. The Giants would like to draft a cornerback in the first three rounds but Kenny Phillips was available in the first round and too good to pass up. But Patrick Lee is a solid corner who should see some time in nickel and dime packages.

96. Washington Redskins: Orlando Scandrick, CB, Boise State
The Redskins could use an extra corner, and they’ll get the workout warrior from Boise State here. Scandrick is kind of a boom or bust type prospect, but Washington will hope that he can continue the success he enjoyed playing on the smurf turf.

97. Cincinnati Bengals: Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
The Bengals cut loose Chris Henry because of his inability to stay out of trouble and who knows what’s going on with Chad Johnson so the Bengals need some weapons on offense. Bennett is a good pass catching tight end who can expect to see a lot of action early on.

98. Atlanta Falcons: Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri
Alge Crumpler is gone and it’s time to find his replacement. Although the team would probably be disappointed to see Martellus Bennett come off the board one spot ahead of them, Rucker is somewhat similar to Crumpler. With this selection, the Falcons have done a nice job of restocking both sides of the ball. Winning in 2008 may be a reach, but Atlanta has a nice foundation after the first three rounds of this draft.

99. Baltimore Ravens: Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
At one point most people, us included, had Andre Woodson going in the first round. His stock has taken a hit between the Senior Bowl and scouts dissecting his throwing mechanics. Woodson has a long arm motion that many believe will hurt him in the pros. This is a great choice for the Ravens as far as value and Woodson could surprise a lot of people.

Round 4

100. Miami Dolphins: Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina
Ted Ginn Jr. showed promise last year, but he can’t do it alone. It doesn’t matter who the Dolphins view as their quarterback of the future if he doesn’t have anyone to throw to.

101. St. Louis Rams: Tom Zbikowski, SS, Notre Dame
This is a good value pick for the Rams who need to upgrade their secondary and Zbikowski is a hard hitting strong safety.

102. New York Jets: Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose State
The Jets have reportedly been shopping for a cornerback. They haven’t gotten one yet. Lowery is a decent fit this late.

103. Atlanta Falcons: Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
By trading DeAngelo Hall the Falcons now have a hole at cornerback. Godfrey has a solid combine and is another piece to the entire revamping of the Atlanta Falcons teams. By this point they have addressed a lot of their offseason issues but there are many directions they could go in the last 4 rounds.

104. Oakland Raiders: Steve Justice, C, Wake Forest
John Wade and Jake Grove are under contract, but it’s doubtful that Oakland feels like it has a long term plan at the position. This would likely move Grove to backup duty at guard.

105. Kansas City Chiefs: Eddie Royal, WR/KR, Virginia Tech
The Chiefs got a good receiver in last years draft when they selected Dwayne Bowe but need someone else who can catch the call. Royal is evolving as a receiver and is getting better. He is also a very dangerous kick returner and could add a different dimension to the Chiefs offense.

106. Baltimore Ravens: Adrian Arrington, WR, Michigan
Baltimore needs a big target in the red zone. Arrington could serve as a #3 or #4 receiver as a rookie and develop into a legitimate touchdown threat.

107. San Francisco 49ers: Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa St.
Another player who had a solid combine and could go much higher than this but the lack of exposure that Iowa St. gets will ultimately hurt him. Rubin is a very good run stopper and could play nose tackle if the 49ers needed him to do that.

108. Denver Broncos: Lavelle Hawkins, WR, California
The Broncos definitely need another option at wide receiver next year. Brandon Marshall is a star, but his injury may slow his progression for awhile.

109. Carolina Panthers: Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee
The Panthers have addressed a few needs on offense but they are lacking a tight end who can catch and block. They could look on the defensive side of the ball with this pick but Cottam is a solid value selection.

110. Chicago Bears: John David Booty, QB, USC
Everyone says that the Bears will give Grossman (and Orton I guess) another year before they draft a quarterback. However, the position projects as being a major weakness of the 2009 class. Why not take Booty here? He may already be better than anything they have now

111. Detroit Lions: Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan
If this draft goes this way for the Lions they should get multiple players who can contribute immediately. Jones has a lot of upside and while he ran slower than expect at the combine he is a good all around defensive lineman who is very good against the run. He would fit well into almost any scheme.

112. Cincinnati Bengals: Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt
Chris Henry is finally gone and Chad Johnson may not be that far behind. Enough said

113. New York Jets: Bruce Davis, LB, UCLA
Davis has the ability to get to the quarterback, something that the Jets couldn’t do all of last season. While they brought in Calvin Pace they still need more depth at the position and Davis is a great pick.

114. Buffalo Bills: Lamar Myles, OLB, Louisville
The Bills could use an outside linebacker, but the key to this pick is the value. Myles could come off the board in the second round.

115. Philadelphia Eagles: Wesley Woodyard, SS, Kentucky
Some think that Woodyard is going to be a linebacker because he put on some additional weight in the last few months. However, it is going to depend on the team that drafts him and the Eagles could use an upgrade at strong safety. Woodyard is a athletic player who will eventually evolve into a safety who is best when he moves into the box.

116. Arizona Cardinals: Will Franklin, WR, Missouri
Arizona (obviously) does not need a starting wide receiver. Franklin could step into the #3 spot that Bryant Johnson used to hold down. The Cardinals may look to add a defensive end at some point, as well.

117. Minnesota Vikings: Geno Hayes, LB, Florida St.
The Vikings don’t have a ton of needs left to fill but adding some depth at linebacker and a player who can contribute on special teams will help. Hayes didn’t run great at the Combine but is pretty athletic and has good range.

118. Houston Texans: DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College
The common belief is that the Texans need to draft a starting cornerback. In reality, they probably only need someone to keep the seat warm until Duanta Robinson is back. Tribble has long term potential as a nickel back.

119. Denver Broncos: Phillip Wheeler, ILB, Georgia Tech
Wheeler is just too tempting for the Broncos to pass up at this point. They could draft another defensive tackle or a fullback but Wheeler will contribute immediately for playing time now that D.J. Williams is moving outside.

120. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Tyvon Branch, CB, Connecticut
Tampa doesn’t have many needs. Branch could provide some depth at corner and, before his playing days are over, the team’s overall number of returns for touchdowns could multiply.

121. Seattle Seahawks: Frank Morton, DT, Tulane
The Seahawks lost Chuck Darby this offseason and have some in-house replacements but adding some youth and depth is important at this stage of the draft. They have addressed the offensive side the first three picks so defense this time.

122. Cleveland Browns: Justin Tryon, CB, Arizona State
Wow, the Browns are on the clock. They need a cornerback. Justin Tryon is a sleeper. Hopefully it works out for the Browns since they can’t afford to screw up this pick.

123. Pittsburgh Steelers: Marcus Griffin, FS, Texas
The Steelers aren’t sure what the health of Ryan Clark will be this season and Anthony Smith didn’t play like a starting safety last season. Griffin ran a terrible 40 at the combine but a much better 40 at his Pro Day.

124. Tennessee Titans: Steve Slaton, RB, California
Jeff Fisher said his team is in the market for another running back to team with LenDale White and Chris Henry. Slaton is one more possible weapon at Vince Young’s disposal.

125. Jacksonville Jaguars: Donald Thomas, G, UConn
The Jags don’t have a lot of desperate needs but adding youth and talent to the trenches is always important. Thomas is another player who has been flying up charts and is one of the most athletic guards in the entire draft. He is a great value here.

126. Dallas Cowboys: Chad Rinehart, OT, Northern Iowa
This simply adds depth to a team that is already a powerhouse. The Cowboys may have nonexistent team needs heading into the 2009 draft!

127. Indianapolis Colts: Chris Harrington, DE, Texas A&M
After Freeney went down the Colts had a lot of problems getting to the quarterback. Harrington had 7.5 last sacks last season and is pretty solid against the run. Some teams may look to him to play linebackers in the 3-4 but he probably doesn’t have the speed.

128. Green Bay Packers: Durant Brooks, P, Georgia Tech
Brooks is one of the best punters the draft has seen in recent memory. Green Bay can afford to choose him this high.

129. New England Patriots: Craig Steltz, S, LSU
The Patriots are going to have to eventually replace Rodney Harrison and Steltz has played pretty well for LSU over the past few seasons. He isn’t that athletic but makes up for it by playing smart. He doesn’t take too many chances but has the ability to be a very good safety.

130. New York Giants: Oniel Cousins, OL, UTEP
This would be a perfect situation for Cousins. He has huge potential, but is very raw. There is no way he’s ready to contribute next season. If he doesn’t pan out at tackle, there’s a decent chance he’ll be able to make the transition and shift inside.

131. Philadelphia Eagles: Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
Andy Reid loves big tackles and Richardson is very large. The Eagles offensive tackles are getting older and Richardson does have some upside but has major work ethic issues.

132. Buffalo Bills: Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State
Yes, the Bills have already taken a wide receiver and, sure, Bowman has had a nightmarish post season. But, if you can take a potential superstar at an area of uncertainty, it has to be done. It’s the end of the fourth round and Bowman could be the best receiver in the draft.

133. Baltimore Ravens: Beau Bell, ILB, UNLV
A very solid choice here as Ray Lewis is getting older and finding more guys who can play in the middle is going to be important for the Ravens. Bell had a ton of tackles last season and has the versatility to play either inside or outside.

134. Tennessee Titans: Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia
Schmitt can catch the ball out of the backfield and help clear the way for Tennessee’s tailbacks. Stop me if you’ve heard this before but, it’s important for the Titans to surround Vince Young with weapons.

135. Green Bay Packers: Frank Okam, DT, Texas
The Packers traded Corey Williams this offseason and lost a very good run stopper in that trade. Okam has fallen off, where he was once thought as definite first day pick falls all the way to the last pick in the 4th round. Okam is a very good run stuffer and might be a better nose tackle. He isn’t that fast as he ran a poor 40 at the combine but he can stuff the middle.

Round 5

136. Kansas City Chiefs: Tommy Blake, DE, TCU
Jared Allen may be playing his last season in Kansas City. Blake is talented enough to replace him if he can leave his problems behind.

137. St. Louis Rams: John Sullivan, C, Notre Dame
The Rams continue to fix their offensive line and Sullivan is good value in Round 5.

138. Atlanta Falcons: Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego
Both of the small school quarterbacks go to Atlanta. It may be unconventional, but why not? Neither is a slam dunk, so Johnson will serve as a backup plan incase Flacco doesn’t cut it.

139. Denver Broncos: Peyton Hillis, FB, Arkansas
The Broncos always have a solid running game and Hillis can carry the ball, block and catch so he’s a solid all around player.

140. Kansas City Chiefs: Robert Felton, G, Arkansas
The days of having a superior offensive line are now a distant memory. The line needs to be rebuilt. It’ll take more than this, but Felton could develop into a long term starter at guard.

141. Carolina Panthers: Letroy Guion, DT , Florida St.
Guion has a ton of potential but a poor 40 time at the Combine and a questionable character make him a 5th rounder.

142. Chicago Bears, Jonathan Hefney, DB, Tennessee
After attacking the offensive side of the ball with their early round choices, the Bears go with a versatile defensive back.

143. Jacksonville Jaguars: Tashard Choice, RB, Georgia Tech
The Jags have a great running game but Fred Taylor is getting older and Choice would be their 3rd string running back.

144. Detroit Lions: J Leman, ILB, Illinois
If Detroit is going to take the next step and reach the playoffs, the defense is going to have to get better. Leman is a decent prospect with some upside.

145. Cincinnati Bengals: Kirk Barton, OT, Ohio St.
Levi Jones is an injury concern and Barton has the ability to play both tackle position and could play guard.

146. New Orleans Saints: Jacob Hester, FB, LSU
Hester’s versatility will be a nice addition to the Saints’ unconventional offense.

147. Buffalo Bills: Eric Young, G, Tennessee
Young has had some injury concerns over his career otherwise he would be the second guard off the board. If he can stay healthy this is a great pick by the Bills.

148. Denver Broncos: Mike Hart, RB, Michigan
The Broncos always draft a running back in the late rounds. This year probably won’t be any different.

149. Arizona Cardinals: Darrell Robertson, LB, Georgia Tech
The Cardinals lost Calvin Pace and Robertson will move from defensive end to outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense.

150. Minnesota Vikings: Kendall Langford, DL, Hampton
The Vikings have to replace both of their starters at defensive end. Merling was a great value in the 2nd, and now Langford is a steal in the 5th.

151. Houston Texans: King Dunlap, OT, Auburn
Dunlap is very tall and has the frame to add some more weight if he wants to. Dunlap is worth a shot and could contribute but most likely only as a tackle.

152. Philadelphia Eagles: Dexter Jackson, WR, Appalachian State
Jackson could develop into a starting wide receiver some day. In the mean time, he’s a return specialist. They already drafted DeSean Jackson, but if he starts, the Eagles could use Dexter in the return game.

153. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adam Krause, G/C, Michigan
The Bucs always need help on the offensive line and Krause can play both guard and center and Michigan is a pretty good school when it comes to offensive linemen.

154. Washington Redskins: Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
Jason Campbell is the starter of the future and Todd Collins has the backup job locked up for the next couple of years. So think of Dixon as the insurance policy of the future.

155. Cleveland Browns: Gary Guyton, LB, Georgia Tech
Guyton had a great combine and ran a blazing 40 and isn’t the smallest linebacker either. He could make some real noise as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

156. Pittsburgh Steelers: Paul Hubbard, WR, Wisconsin
The Steelers will be looking to add a receiver in the draft and even though Big Ben wants a tall receiver that may not be the way they go, catching the ball IS more important than how tall you are. However, Hubbard had a very good combine and he happens to be 6’2”.

157. Tennessee Titans: Chevis Jackson, CB, LSU
After spending so many early round picks on offense, the titans can afford to look for depth on the other side of the ball. Jackson is a good value and, even though he didn’t play last year, Pacman is technically a loss.

158. Jacksonville Jaguars: Eric Ainge, QB, Tennessee
After losing Quinn Gray, the Jaguars need to find a new long-term backup. Ainge just makes too much sense to pass on, late in the fifth round.

159. Jacksonville Jaguars: Trae Williams, CB, South Florida
The Jaguars have had a lot of picks so adding some special team’s players and some overall depth will be what they are focusing on from this point in the draft.

160. San Diego Chargers: Justin Forsett, RB, California
Michael Turner has moved on to greener pastures and Darren Sproles is really more of a return man. Forsett can step into Turner’s role.

161. Indianapolis Colts: Kennan Burton, WR, Kentucky
With the health of Marvin Harrison in question the Colts need to ensure that they have quality depth behind Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez. Their number #4 receivers last season (Aaron Moorehead and Craphonso Thorpe) combined for 20 total catches and that’s with Marvin Harrison missing a big chunk of the year.

162. Green Bay Packers: Kevin O’Connell, QB, San Diego State
Aaron Rodgers is going to be given every opportunity to succeed. However, now that Favre is gone, it wouldn’t hurt to bring in a little more talent and depth at the position.

163. Dallas Cowboys: Jason Shirley, NT, Fresno St.
Tank Johnson will get most of the time at nose tackle but he will always be a risk. Shirley is a monstrous nose tackle who run the 40 in under 5.0 seconds. A nice value at the end of round 5.

164. New England Patriots: Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin
Ikegwuini could have snuck into the first round had he not blown out his knee after the season ended. The Patriots are in a position where they can afford to put him on IR for a year. A year or two down the road, he could be starting.

165. New York Giants: Jeremy Thompson, DE, Wake Forest
The Giants Super Bowl run was due in large part to great defensive line play and if Strahan retires that moves Justin Tuck to the starting lineup, it leaves them with little depth.

166. San Diego Chargers: Jerome Felton, FB, Furman
Lorenzo Neal is no longer a part of the team’s backfield. He’ll be missed, but Felton may be able to step in and start.

Round 6

167. Dallas Cowboys: Bernard Morris, QB, Marshall
The Cowboys could use a third string quarterback and Brad Johnson is getting older. Morris has a good offseason and looked good in all the post season all star games.

168. St. Louis Rams: Spencer Larsen, ILB, Arizona
It would be nice if the Rams had another option at middle linebacker. Will Witherspoon is good, but he’s great when he’s playing on the outside.

169. Oakland Raiders: Marcus Monk, WR, Arkansas
The Raiders added Jevon Walker and Drew Carter via free agency, but they’ll still likely look for more competition at wide out. Monk could develop into a pretty good pro, but it wouldn’t surprise anyone if he turned out to be training camp fodder either. Time will tell, but it’s worth the risk at this point.

170. Kansas City Chiefs: Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas A&M
Tony Gonzalez isn’t getting any younger and Finley is a very good value this late in the draft. He is still a raw prospect but will get better especially under the wing of Gonzalez.

171. New York Jets: Nick Hayden, DE, Wisconsin
Hayden played defensive tackle in college but will move over and play end in the Jets 3-4 scheme. He is a bigger end which the Jets have lacked in the past.

172. Atlanta Falcons: Craig Stevens, TE, California
If the Falcons keep all of these picks, they’re going to have a draft-nik’s dream of a team. Rucker was already drafted earlier, but Stevens could come in and provide competition for the job at tight end.

173. Baltimore Ravens: Chauncey Washington, RB, USC
The Ravens need a solid backup for Willis McGahee and Washington has had some good offseason workouts and he was used in a lot of short yardage situations at USC.

174. San Francisco 49ers: Davone Bess, WR, Hawaii
With Mike Martz in town, it’s pretty safe to say the niners will be looking at receivers this year.

175. Chicago Bears: Stanford Keglar, LB, Purdue
Before the combine most people thought Keglar would be a 7th round pick at best but he put up great numbers at the combine and could go higher than this.

176. Detroit Lions: Eric Foster, DT, Rutgers
Shaun Rodgers has left a big huge gaping hole in the middle of the Lions’ defensive line. Foster can’t fill that, but he can help.

177. Cincinnati Bengals: Terrence Wheatley, CB, Colorado
The Bengals pass defense was terrible last season and Wheatley would be a nice addition as a nickel or dime corner. Wheatley has good cover skills but is a little undersized.

178. New Orleans Saints: Bryan Kehl, OLB, BYU
Kehl is reportedly moving up draft boards after an impressive pro day. He may be gone by this time once all is said and done. For now, the Saints are pleased to find another great value at linebacker.

179. Buffalo Bills: Kenny Iwebema, DE, Iowa
The Bills need some added depth at their defensive end position and Iwebema is somewhat of a project but is big and fast.

180. St. Louis Rams: Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State
This is nothing more than insurance incase Carriker has a setback before the season starts.

181. Carolina Panthers: Antwuan Molden, CB, Eastern Kentucky
The Panthers get a steal this late in the draft as Molden will most likely go in the 3rd-4th round range. He gives them some more versatility and helps improve their secondary.

182. Minnesota Vikings: Kellen Davis, TE, Michigan State
Davis didn’t put up big numbers in college, but he certainly did after the season ended. His workouts were impressive and may get him drafted earlier than previously expected.

183. Denver Broncos: Keilen Dykes, DT, West Virginia
The Broncos get another defensive tackle in attempts to rebuild a defensive line that let everyone run all over them. Dykes is an interesting prospect who was a first team Big East defensive tackle two years in a row.

184. Philadelphia Eagles: Jacob Tamme, TE, Kentucky
L.J. Smith signed the franchise tender, but he’s no sure bet to return to form. At worst, Tamme is good depth.

185. Arizona Cardinals: Simeon Castille, FS, Alabama
The Cardinals only real impact player in the secondary has been Adrian Wilson. Castille can play corner or play safety. He is a nice addition to a weak secondary.

186. Washington Redskins: Angelo Craig, OLB, Cincinnati
The Redskins can use depth at outside linebacker.

187. Kansas City Chiefs: Allen Patrick, RB, Oklahoma
The Chiefs have some depth behind Larry Johnson but nothing spectacular. Patrick is a solid prospect who simply gets lost in the shuffle with this years DEEP class of running backs.

188. Pittsburgh Steelers: Thomas Williams, LB, USC
Williams didn’t start at USC but has the capability to play any linebacking position. The Steelers could also use some depth at linebacker and help on special teams so Williams fits the bill.

189. Seattle Seahawks: Mackenzy Bernadeau, OG, Bentley
The Seahawks are rumored to be looking for an interior lineman. Bernadeau has a decent chance of making the team.

190. Cleveland Browns: Jonathan Zenon, CB, LSU
The Browns have to look for special teams players that have a chance of contributing to the defense. Zenon may be able to contribute as the team’s dime back.
Posted on 04/10/2008

Page: 1

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Check out pick 6 for the Cards. WE NEED CB's! It say's he can do both. HAH!

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Check out pick 6 for the Cards. WE NEED CB's! It say's he can do both. HAH!

No...It says he can do EITHER. I don't understand what's funny about that. You've never heard as a player projected as that? Michael Huff...Reggie Smith....Terrell Thomas...etc

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
for the record, i prefer brohm as well. and i don't think this is a bad draft. while the albert pick is not sexy, if he reaches his upside we'll have some beef up front. but this is cards, they'll reach for need.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
for the record, i prefer brohm as well. and i don't think this is a bad draft. while the albert pick is not sexy, if he reaches his upside we'll have some beef up front. but this is cards, they'll reach for need.

Thanks man. If you look through this thread, you won't be able to find one reason why people like Ryan better.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Mock Draft said:
16. Arizona Cardinals: Branden Albert, OL, Virginia
50. Arizona Cardinals: Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina
81. Arizona Cardinals: Terrell Thomas, CB, USC
116. Arizona Cardinals: Will Franklin, WR, Missouri
149. Arizona Cardinals: Darrell Robertson, LB, Georgia Tech
185. Arizona Cardinals: Simeon Castille, FS, Alabama

I won't be happy, but I can live with Albert and Johnson in the first and second round. But I hate picking Terrell Thomas over Demarrio Pressley in the 3rd. I know this team needs help at cornerback, but they're passing on a superior prospect (IMO) to fill a need. If you're going to do that, pass on Johnson.

And I hate the pick at 116 even more. DeJuan Tribble and Justin Tryon are still on the board?! Also, I think that if Oneil Cousins somehow lasts until the 4th round, you draft him as a BPA. I really like that prospect.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Matt Ryan as the best QB prospect this year that I've seen at least 4 times. I can't comment on the many I have not seen enough of.

He plays a smarter, better game than Brohm with much less talent around him, in my opinion.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
I won't be happy, but I can live with Albert and Johnson in the first and second round. But I hate picking Terrell Thomas over Demarrio Pressley in the 3rd. I know this team needs help at cornerback, but they're passing on a superior prospect (IMO) to fill a need. If you're going to do that, pass on Johnson.

And I hate the pick at 116 even more. DeJuan Tribble and Justin Tryon are still on the board?! Also, I think that if Oneil Cousins somehow lasts until the 4th round, you draft him as a BPA. I really like that prospect.

See...This is actually good reasoning...thanks for the input man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05