Deeper Mock Draft

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
True. I understand "this" line of reasoning when deciding on if Leinart was(n't) a top 10 pick. Almost no one expected him to fall as far as he did.

You saying that a top 10 pick should be able throw the "deep ball" is what I was referencing.

Well, there are a couple of things here. Leinart is kind of an anomally because of his other attributes. He ACTUALLY was a great leader in college, as opposed to Ryan.

He ACTUALLY DID win big games and come through in the clutch. With Ryan, he had that one comeback against Va. Tech (he completed less than half of his passes in that game and threw 2 INTs).

Leinart had incredable numbers throughout his college career, playing in a pro style offense.

Still, despite what the media said leading up to the draft, pro scouts STILL passed on him, until Arizona took him at ten.

Ryan doesn't have any of these things, and you don't think he could slip to 17? I still think the big "shock" of the draft could be Brohm going ahead of him.

Look at Quinn last season. Not very good arm strength...hyped by the media...fell to the twenties.

Personally, I think you need to pick a QB with amazing physical qualities if you are taking him in the top 10. Sure, there are guys like Tom Brady, but let's face it...we can't project guys like that...they are exceptions to the rule.

I think ignoring a QB's physical capabilities leads to Tim Couch and Alex Smith. A couple years down the road, you're saying, "Why was he rated so high?"

I realize there are guys with all the tools in the world, like Ryan Leaf, that don't pan out either, but at least you can justify taking them there. Can we think of one top ten QB with poor arm stength that has worked out?

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
NFL,

We can agree on one thing for sure. The Cards are going to get an excellent pick at 16. The best RB or CB available maybe, but your assumption of Albert seems more inviting to me now. That's what I get for not mowing the yard right now. THANKS

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there are a couple of things here. Leinart is kind of an anomally because of his other attributes. He ACTUALLY was a great leader in college, as opposed to Ryan.

He ACTUALLY DID win big games and come through in the clutch. With Ryan, he had that one comeback against Va. Tech (he completed less than half of his passes in that game and threw 2 INTs).

Leinart had incredable numbers throughout his college career, playing in a pro style offense.

Still, despite what the media said leading up to the draft, pro scouts STILL passed on him, until Arizona took him at ten.

Ryan doesn't have any of these things, and you don't think he could slip to 17? I still think the big "shock" of the draft could be Brohm going ahead of him.

Look at Quinn last season. Not very good arm strength...hyped by the media...fell to the twenties.

Personally, I think you need to pick a QB with amazing physical qualities if you are taking him in the top 10. Sure, there are guys like Tom Brady, but let's face it...we can't project guys like that...they are exceptions to the rule.

I think ignoring a QB's physical capabilities leads to Tim Couch and Alex Smith. A couple years down the road, you're saying, "Why was he rated so high?"

I realize there are guys with all the tools in the world, like Ryan Leaf, that don't pan out either, but at least you can justify taking them there. Can we think of one top ten QB with poor arm stength that has worked out?

We'll just have to see. I'd be willing to bet you that Ryan would get drafted before Brohm, if we had vBookie.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
We'll just have to see. I'd be willing to bet you that Ryan would get drafted before Brohm, if we had vBookie.

I would never bet that Brohm goes before Ryan, but I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me. I still think Ryan probably goes first though.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
NFL,

We can agree on one thing for sure. The Cards are going to get an excellent pick at 16. The best RB or CB available maybe, but your assumption of Albert seems more inviting to me now. That's what I get for not mowing the yard right now. THANKS

Good stuff, man. I definitely agree that you guys are in a great spot and should get a very good player.

Even if you reach for need and take Mike Jenkins, he's a solid choice. I'll tell you one thing, I'll be paying closer attention to Arizona's draft this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05