Defender out of bounds

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On the long pass, actually a short pass and long run by Bryant Johnson, in the Rams' game, Johnson was initially hit by #25 who was spun off and out of bounds by Johnson. He then ran upfield out of bounds for a while and then came back in and eventually caught and tackled Johnson. I know you can't do that on kicks but I don't know the rule on plays from scrimmage. Does anyone know?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
On the long pass, actually a short pass and long run by Bryant Johnson, in the Rams' game, Johnson was initially hit by #25 who was spun off and out of bounds by Johnson. He then ran upfield out of bounds for a while and then came back in and eventually caught and tackled Johnson. I know you can't do that on kicks but I don't know the rule on plays from scrimmage. Does anyone know?

I was asking the same thing at the game. Hope somebody knows the answer.

Big Red Line

Veteran
Reaction score
What bothered me about the play is that I thought Johnson was gone, but the defender ate him up, not even needing an angle. If BJ scores, we win the game, everything else being equal (which it might or might not be).

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What bothered me about the play is that I thought Johnson was gone, but the defender ate him up, not even needing an angle.

He was waiting for a block to develop. Running as fast as you can downfield into a tackle does you no good. He was being a patient runner, something we haven't seen here in a long time, other than Quan & Fitz.

ishbin

Rookie
Reaction score
ibm presents..you make the call...it's a penalty if the defender doesn't make an attempt to get back in bounds as soon as possible. he can make the tackle he just can't run 10 yards downfield out of bounds before doing so.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I think people are mistaking this with the rule that you can't be the first player to touch the football after returning in bounds.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think the player out of bounds just has to reestablish himself on the playing field, which he did. If he had run along side BJ, while being out of bounds and then tackled him without taking two steps while in the playing field, it would have been a penalty.