DeMarcus Cousins?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
DeMarcus Cousins has formally requested a trade and has been directed not to attend tonight’s game against the Hornets.

Kings coach Paul Westphal released the following statement:

“Whenever a new season begins, in any sport, there is great hope that everything will progress in only a steady, upward direction. As we all know, it seldom happens like that in this life!

“As coaches, we can only ask that our players do everything they can to improve themselves as individuals and teammates. If they do this with all their hearts, we live with the results.

“Everything that happens on a team does not become known to the public. This is how it should be. However, when a player continually, aggressively, lets it be known that he is unwilling/unable to embrace traveling in the same direction as his team, it cannot be ignored indefinitely.

“DeMarcus Cousins has demanded to be traded. In the best interest of our team as we go forward, he has been directed by me, with the support of management, to stay home from the New Orleans game tonight.”

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217970/Cousins_Demands_Trade_From_Kings#ixzz1iG81d8EF

Even with the attitude issues the Suns should try to go for him as long as they can keep Morris and our first this year.

Cousins would be a nice building piece.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even with the attitude issues the Suns should try to go for him as long as they can keep Morris and our first this year.

Cousins would be a nice building piece.
Do you really want to rebuild with a player who gets into shouting matches with the coaches, disrespects everyone around him, and starts demanding a trade as soon as something doesn't go his way?

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No but you can't be picky at this point, if the Suns could get him without giving up picks and Morris I'd probably do it.
If it works out great, if not well we couldnt lose much right now. You have some work to do with Cousins that much is obvious.

Building around is something i'd do with our draft pick hopefully Drummond, Davis or MKG.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
By the way not sure if Cousins is more of a headcase than Barkley. Sometimes you need to take chances.

The approach of getting only high character guys will never win you a championship.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
What if we could get Cousins and their top 3 protected 2012 pick for Gortat, Dudley and (Brooks)?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Memphis took a chance on Zach Randolph and look how that has worked out for them. Randolph had way more character issues than Cousins too.

Cousins can get his head straight in PHX with Hill & Nash, and if what he wants is the ball more then he can have it since the Suns have no go to scorer anyway.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
He's got a terrible attitude and work ethic. You think a change of place will fix it? Not so sure with him. Seems like a spoiled brat.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think this is a bluff by the Kings. They're making Cousins's complaints public in order to try to get him to feel some shame. It would be silly to make such a spectacle of him if they were really going to trade him; all it's doing is depressing his value. I don't think Westphal is a very good coach, but maybe after getting pushed around by Barkley in Phoenix, then Payton in Seattle, he has finally learned that you have to stand up to problematic stars, and the sooner the better.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
By the way not sure if Cousins is more of a headcase than Barkley. Sometimes you need to take chances.

He is also not even in the same talent class as Barkley. You can't build a championship contender around Cousins, but he is mental enough that I can imagine some elite players not wanting to play with him.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Yes he is a knucklehead but would be worth taking a chance on. He has a lot of talent. It may be a good chance to buy low. If they would take Channing Frye and a 2nd rounder I would do it. I may even consider Lopez and a bad Contract (Warrick or Childress). Maybe he needs a change of scenery. Hes young and talented. We are not going anywhere but if he shows he can play and fits in it would be great.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes he is a knucklehead but would be worth taking a chance on. He has a lot of talent. It may be a good chance to buy low. If they would take Channing Frye and a 2nd rounder I would do it. I may even consider Lopez and a bad Contract (Warrick or Childress). Maybe he needs a change of scenery. Hes young and talented. We are not going anywhere but if he shows he can play and fits in it would be great.

It's the kind of move that I think is destined for failure. IMO, he's much more of a problem than any of the others mentioned in this thread. He's a jerk, a bully and immature beyond belief. And those are pretty much the nicest things you can say about him. I'd say our odds of being happy with his acquisition fall in the 10 to 1 range. But, still, I'd probably do it for something like Frye or Lopez and a second. Our odds of turning this franchise around without a huge gamble make 10 to 1 start to look good.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It may be a good chance to buy low. If they would take Channing Frye and a 2nd rounder I would do it. I may even consider Lopez and a bad Contract (Warrick or Childress).

If the Kings do trade him, someone else will offer much, much more than that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake