- Doesn't sound like he will go for a big name RB in FA

more to come...

OP
OP
The Commish

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
- FA RB's will be looked at, but didn't sound like he will go after one.

- Says improving the D-Line will be important

- We will be one of the best blitzing teams in the league

- Isn't doing a lot of fishing, is mostly getting ready for draft and FA, and also helping out with acquiring sponsors for new stadium.

That's it. Nothing earth shattering, but definately sounded like he was going about things the right way without giving too much info.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
- Wants to sign 1 Olineman via FA, and draft another one on the first day

Intreasting that he said he wouldn't rule out a linemen at #10. But they would have to be BPA.

OP
OP
The Commish

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Intreasting that he said he wouldn't rule out a linemen at #10. But they would have to be BPA.

Yeah I basically took that as "If D'Brickashaw fell to us we'd take him". There is no other O-Lineman that is worthy of that high of a pick.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Yeah I basically took that as "If D'Brickashaw fell to us we'd take him". There is no other O-Lineman that is worthy of that high of a pick.

If we don't take Cutler/White this is 1 draft where I wouldn't mind trading down for extra picks. I would love to get 1 or 2 good OL and Gabe Watson.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
If we don't take Cutler/White this is 1 draft where I wouldn't mind trading down for extra picks. I would love to get 1 or 2 good OL and Gabe Watson.

He did say that there were a lot of good QBs in this draft. He also said the draft is deep in the oline and he thinks very good olinemen can be drafted in the second and third rounds.

I also think this is a deep draft for TEs too. I wouldn't be too averse to adding picks either.

He clearly said that improving the run and stopping the run is the big priority on both free agency and the draft.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I could live with 1 FA O-lineman and a 1st day O-lineman, as long as that 1 FA guy is REAL impact, and the 1st day guy is not a 1st rounder (unless, by the grace of God, D'Brick falls to us).

spanky1

Reaction score
Redsz said:

Did he say this....or did he say a day1 O-Lineman......very different.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Did he say this....or did he say a day1 O-Lineman......very different.

They specifically asked about oline at #10 and he said that would be considered. However, he also immediately said they would draft the "best player available" at #10.

As for day 1, he said that was pretty likely. He said the draft was deep on the oline and very good players would be drafted in rounds two and three.

spanky1

Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
They specifically asked about oline at #10 and he said that would be considered. However, he also immediately said they would draft the "best player available" at #10.

As for day 1, he said that was pretty likely. He said the draft was deep on the oline and very good players would be drafted in rounds two and three.

Thanx for the clarification

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
As others have already stated here is the main points that I came away with -

1. Didnt sound to thrilled about spending big, big bucks on a RB. Again talked about the pie.

2. 1 FA OL and 1 first day pick

3. Run Game and stopping run priority 1 and 2.

4. Green does not have the starting CB spot opposite of Rolle contrary to other reports. green and Macklin will continue to fight it out will all fight it out in camp.

5. Loves the depth at QB, OL, and TE in this draft.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
As others have already stated here is the main points that I came away with -

1. Didnt sound to thrilled about spending big, big bucks on a RB. Again talked about the pie.

2. 1 FA OL and 1 first day pick

3. Run Game and stopping run priority 1 and 2.

4. Green does not have the starting CB spot opposite of Rolle contrary to other reports. green and Macklin will continue to fight it out will all fight it out in camp.

5. Loves the depth at QB, OL, and TE in this draft.

MJ has been reporting that. Wonder if there is still some animosity between the two sides.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
MJ has been reporting that. Wonder if there is still some animosity between the two sides.

In the report I had heard I thought he was more speculating on that and not really saying it was for certian. I would be willing to bet that in his report on that he was speculating based on the fact that Green and most likely others in the organization are saying it is open competition and MJ is trying to put 2 and 2 together.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
I am starting to think we may go TE at 10.

I could easily see QB, OL, and TE in any order be our first 3 picks.

But he also didnt rule out a RB at #10 either, when asked about it. So i wouldnt rule that out either.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Did he say TE? I might have missed that.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Denny Green is like a "Pie Nazi".

MR. ALEXANDER, NO CARDINAL PIE FOR YOU! :D

The Shark

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
In the report I had heard I thought he was more speculating on that and not really saying it was for certian. I would be willing to bet that in his report on that he was speculating based on the fact that Green and most likely others in the organization are saying it is open competition and MJ is trying to put 2 and 2 together.

Like always. Most of his reports are usually something he reads or overhears, mixed in with a little bit of inside information from somebody on the team, and he tries to put 2 and 2 together with his listener.

You always have to take what MJ says with a little grain of salt. Like the Randle El thing last night....I come in to work today and like 9 dudes rush me and tell me if I heard we were getting Randle El. :rolleyes:

Hey, MJ is improving. At least they don't use the whine line to bash Cardinal fans anymore.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I like Denny's direction. I absolutely don't want a RB on first day of draft unless of course by some Godly intervention we end up with Bush... :)

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My personal thought is DG is going to grab a RB at #10. I am not real sure which way he may be leaning. My gut is starting to say DeAngelo Williams. I think he figures a draft pick is cheaper and will give him more mileage.

As for an OLineman on the first day, that smells like using the 2nd round pick on one of the players that slip that far. I really liked Byrd as a 3rd round pick, don't know if it will happen....so if Byrd isn't there I wouldn't be surprised to see a QB.

As for FA:

A couple of real steady Interior Olineman
Maybe a DT for depth
A balanced TE that could be a target in the RZ
Maybe a KR/PR....but the homer in me still likes JR Redmond

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Okay after all I have heard and seen, as of Febuary 7th, 2006 this is what you will hear Tags say......

"And with the 10th Pick of the 2006 Draft, The Arizona Cardianls select Vernon Davis, TE Maryland...."

Watched him in the skills challenge and dude is a beast, and Kiper (i know I know) said he is a better TE prospect than Kellen Winslow...

I think we need a big time RB to split carries/carry the load with Arrington. I still think we should draft White or even better give James a "piece of Denny's Pie...."

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Watched him in the skills challenge and dude is a beast, and Kiper (i know I know) said he is a better TE prospect than Kellen Winslow...

Are you talking about the skills challenge on last weekend?? The one where the player stood in the middle, and 5 cannons shot footballs at 60 mph at him??

He caught as many balls as DeAngelo Williams......and I thought Williams stunk at that drill, even though I put very little stock in that drill.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You know what, I'm starting to get angry about Denny and this whole 'pie' thing...sounds an awful lot like we'll relegate ourself to complete price bargains again in FA. Once in a while you need to shell out the dough...we HAVE the cap space, and we HAVE the dough. I absolutely love the positions he's talking about bolstering, but I hate the rhetoric downplaying our ability to spend a lot in FA. We have a HUGE FRIGGIN' PIE!!!