Denny Green on Xtra 910

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
If he's going to sign one OL, Terry Metcalf could be a decent fit at any of the o-line spots. Right guard most likely, or possibly left, or even center. I was surprised that Green didn't try to get Toni Fonoti - slim him down to 345 and he could be the answer at either guard spot!

spanky1

Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
I am starting to think we may go TE at 10.

If we were to make a move for Edge (example only and highly unlikely), then a Vernon Davis at 10 is plausible....as much as I would rather move in a different direction. A FA O-Lineman (of the elk of Bentley) and Gabe Watson in the second (can he last until #41 ?) would be a scenario that I think would appeal to many here.

spanky1

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Okay after all I have heard and seen, as of Febuary 7th, 2006 this is what you will hear Tags say......

"And with the 10th Pick of the 2006 Draft, The Arizona Cardianls select Vernon Davis, TE Maryland...."

Watched him in the skills challenge and dude is a beast, and Kiper (i know I know) said he is a better TE prospect than Kellen Winslow...

I think we need a big time RB to split carries/carry the load with Arrington. I still think we should draft White or even better give James a "piece of Denny's Pie...."

I can't believe my eyes........no mention of trading away the future to move up and draft Bush.....the sky is falling....the sky is falling!

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I listened to the Denny spot yesterday:

Other than saying he was going to add at least one OL in free agency and probably draft one (answered in a follow up it would probably be a day 1 pick) and that he wanted to get stronger on the defensive line to better stop the run --

he was pretty general and non committal on everything else.

On a general note, as it relates to specific names in free agency -- keep in mind that until free agency starts -- team officials really cant comment on names for fear of getting busted for tampering.

Theoretically --if Denny came out and said -- Shawn Alexander is our no. 1 priority and we have the cap room to give him the deal he deserves -- he just "tampered" with a player the Seahawks have exclusive negotiating rights to until the start of free agency. At a minimum its a fine -- but perhaps a forfeited draft pick as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the direction that DG is taking right now. Sign one big FA OLinemen. We all hope that it is Bentley here, and Watson/Winston in the second round of the draft.

All this time, I have been adament about the Cards not drafting a TE in round 1, and I still am, unless we get a stud RB in FA, which DG said was unlikely.

I see this offseason going two ways.

Sign James in FA

Round 1. Draft TE or Huff
Round 2. Draft OL
Round 3. BPA

or

Sign Bentley in FA

Round 1. Draft White
Round 2. Draft OL
Round 3. Draft OL or TE.

I am not including any other FA signings, because I was only mentioning big FA signings, and I do not think the Cards will sign more than 1 major FA.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prediction

The Randel-El rumor does call to light an overall trend continuing to emerge in the NFL - more multi-skilled role players. i.e.:

- Slash QB's

- WR's who can run and throw

- Safeties who can play a little MLB

- CB's who can play safety

- 4-3 DE's who can line up as 3-4 OLB's

TE's who can play FB or be "the large WR."

The more quality guys like that you have on your roster, the more innovative the offensive and defensive packages, schemes and coverages your coaches can pull out of their butts. (Think: Adrian Wilson - used as a SS and also kind of a LB). It has to put pressure on opposing teams when they don't know what position a player is necessarily lining up at.

This puts "versatility" at a higher premium, and I think there will be more emphasis on drafting guys like Robinson (QB, WR, DB, RB) and Jimmy Williams - just to name two.

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
The Randel-El rumor does call to light an overall trend continuing to emerge in the NFL - more multi-skilled role players. i.e.:

- Slash QB's

- WR's who can run and throw

- Safeties who can play a little MLB

- CB's who can play safety

- 4-3 DE's who can line up as 3-4 OLB's

TE's who can play FB or be "the large WR."

The more quality guys like that you have on your roster, the more innovative the offensive and defensive packages, schemes and coverages your coaches can pull out of their butts. (Think: Adrian Wilson - used as a SS and also kind of a LB). It has to put pressure on opposing teams when they don't know what position a player is necessarily lining up at.

This puts "versatility" at a higher premium, and I think there will be more emphasis on drafting guys like Robinson (QB, WR, DB, RB) and Jimmy Williams - just to name two.
Michael Robinson of Penn State will be an interesting player to watch, regarding who drafts him and how he is used. Robinson is just a terrific athlete.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randle El would be great. I keep going back to another kid as a 4th or later pick that could help in kick returns, Jeremy Bloom the Olympic Skier who played 2 years at Colorado before the NCAA axed him for being a pro skier.

Bloom is a bit too Kevin Kasper, male model, he's short 5'9" and he's a bit on the light side but he's probably going to run one of the 5 fastest 40 times at the combine if he's in football shape(he's run sub 4.3s while at Colorado).

He may never make an impact as a WR but he has a chance to be a pretty dangerous kick and punt returner, he was in college and I'm not talking about South Dakota State. ESPN is showing highlights of him this morning breaking a punt against Oklahoma, and a big catch and run against Florida State, point being he made big plays in games against future NFL players.

Very intriguing guy, at this point all he figures to do is return kicks, not sure how high you pick a guy like that. Kiper says 3rd to 6th round and Kiper says NFL scouts are absolutely enamored with Bloom because he's such an explosive return threat.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify:

Dennis Green said the Cardinals are going after At Least 1 OL in FA.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
Posted by Jeff
"The Randel-El rumor does call to light an overall trend continuing to emerge in the NFL - more multi-skilled role players. i.e.:
TE's who can play FB or be the large WR."

Could go after Manumaleuna (now a Ram, former U of A) in FA!!

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
Stout said:
You know what, I'm starting to get angry about Denny and this whole 'pie' thing...sounds an awful lot like we'll relegate ourself to complete price bargains again in FA. Once in a while you need to shell out the dough...we HAVE the cap space, and we HAVE the dough. I absolutely love the positions he's talking about bolstering, but I hate the rhetoric downplaying our ability to spend a lot in FA. We have a HUGE FRIGGIN' PIE!!!

Almost every year we go into free agency with a ton of cash but never spend to the cap limit. This needs to change.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
This team needs more than 1 FA OL. Try about 4.

I disagree.

I think Elton Brown has too much potential to give up on after a rookie season. I think Leonard Davis is good either at tackle or guard.

Stepanovich is a servicable guard or center, he just gets exposed next to a rookie and someone who has no business starting.

Ross...well I don't think we can cut him because of the cap hit.

We definitely need a guard at the minimum.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
I disagree.

I think Elton Brown has too much potential to give up on after a rookie season. I think Leonard Davis is good either at tackle or guard.

Stepanovich is a servicable guard or center, he just gets exposed next to a rookie and someone who has no business starting.

Ross...well I don't think we can cut him because of the cap hit.

We definitely need a guard at the minimum.

Are you suggesting the Cards should keep players like Ian Allen, Roland Cantu, Shawn Lynch, and Fred Wakefield? This team's O line starters are weak at best and depth is nonexistant. I bet Step gets cut this next summer as he hasn't shown much. Bridges is a also question mark as he suffered a serious injury. You could sign 4 FA's and then some.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you suggesting the Cards should keep players like Ian Allen, Roland Cantu, Shawn Lynch, and Fred Wakefield?
You raise a valid and interesting issue.

On face value, these guys, at best, seem mediocre. But what we don't see (or know) is their rate of development and how they've improved in the eyes of the coaches.

We shouldn't forget that the Cards released two linemen. (Christie and Braham) who went on to become pretty good NFL centers. We certainly don't want to give up on these guys too early.

Then again, a dawg is a dawg is a dawg - and right now these guys aren't huntin'.

Interesting situation.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Are you suggesting the Cards should keep players like Ian Allen, Roland Cantu, Shawn Lynch, and Fred Wakefield? This team's O line starters are weak at best and depth is nonexistant. I bet Step gets cut this next summer as he hasn't shown much. Bridges is a also question mark as he suffered a serious injury. You could sign 4 FA's and then some.

Wakefield(I'm not a fan of his)will probably stick around as will Step (albeit backing up Leckey).

I agree with Chris we need a Starting OG at minimum. Green has already made excuses for Ross(legitimate or not it means RT is probably his job to lose).

spanky1

Reaction score
duckfallas said:

Step isn't going to get cut....that is a guarantee. Hasn't shown much......he's only entering his third year and was a starter for 16 games as a rookie. Now he isn't in the league of an elite Center to be sure but there are not too many other teams that I've studied that have a back up with his upside.

Go ahead and get rid of Cantu and Lynch if you want but Allen and Wakefield represent all that is right with depth players....the ability to play multiple positions and a cost base that is necessary in the salary cap era. If you think that depth is non existent now, what would getting rid of these two do to add to it.

Bridges suffered a major injury.......a major injury.....what are you talking about.

This post lacks any credibility whatsoever.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Step isn't going to get cut....that is a guarantee. Hasn't shown much......he's only entering his third year and was a starter for 16 games as a rookie. Now he isn't in the league of an elite Center to be sure but there are not too many other teams that I've studied that have a back up with his upside.

Don't get how a guy can start 25 games(he's started every game he's played in as an NFL player) in his first 2 seasons not "show much" and yet have much upside?

Step is what he is, a limited athlete who got by on technique and competitiveness in college, in the NFL he's been largely overmatched. He's even come up short in the area nobody expected, he's supposed to be an extremely bright kid but he wasn't ready to make linecalls as a rookie and has reportedly had trouble with the shotgun snaps.

I think the kid lost the job to Leckey. If we signed another C like Bentley I see no reason we wouldn't consider cutting Step. He played OK at guard and being able to play 2 spots might keep him on a roster but I don't really see a whole lot of upside. It's not like he's a great athlete who is raw, he's just not that good of an athlete. Depth player at best IMHO.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
spanky1 said:

Go ahead and get rid of Cantu and Lynch if you want but Allen and Wakefield represent all that is right with depth players....the ability to play multiple positions and a cost base that is necessary in the salary cap era. If you think that depth is non existent now, what would getting rid of these two do to add to it.

Bridges suffered a major injury.......a major injury.....what are you talking about.

This post lacks any credibility whatsoever.

I mixed up Wells with Bridges. Wells is a question mark with that ankle injury so the LG spot is in question. I'll take Elton Brown starting at RG next season even though he looked lost more than half the time as a rookie. Didn't have a clue what to do on stunts. I'm for signing another experienced player to compete with Leckey at C. I think Leckey would do fine as the starter but Step is not an adequate backup. They need to sign or draft a player to compete for the RT spot too.

As for Ian Allen, did you watch the guy play at all last season? Who gives a rat's ass what the guy makes or if he is cap friendly if he can't play. Wakefield put forth a good effort but I would keep Hayer over either him or Allen.

This line is full of holes from the starters to the backups. Graves, Green, and Loney have a lot of work to do if they want to run the ball for more than 50 yards a game in the new stadium.