Despite Their Loss Don’t Expect the Lions to Fold

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ve watched the Lions first 2 games, start to finish. Their loss to Cleveland showed they have issues. I expect them to fix some of the issues in their Sunday loss, but not all. There are major differences between this Lions team and the Rams.

Let’s start with the Cards ability to press the passer. The Lions’ line is far superior to the injury-depleted line the Rams employed. Both Gardeck and Collins abused the Rams’ left tackle. That won’t happen in the Lions game. The Cards will have to blitz some to get to Goff. I expect Goff to typically have more time to throw. He’s not as accurate as Stafford, but he’ll hit some big passes with time. Effectively the Rams had one key receiver; the Lions have at least 2. St. Brown is extremely hard to cover. He not a huge breakaway threat, but he will keep drives moving. Williams is their deep threat. I don’t think any of the Cards can cover him effectively one-on-one. The Cards will need to provide over-the-top help. That’s a problem because neither of the Cards’ safeties show great ability in that type of coverage. DTD has that skill set, but he’s not likely to displace either starting safety. Williams is also skilled at double moves. If the Cards can’t get to Goff quickly and consistently, the CBs will have major issues containing Williams.

A major surprise in the Rams’ game was how effectively the Cards controlled the run. Again I call your attention to the Rams’ O-line injuries. Like the Cards, Detroit loves to pull their linemen. This Lions team will block much better than the Rams’ line. Since the Cards rotate linemen, exhaustion should not be an issue. Still, the Cards’ linemen have struggled against experienced linemen. I expect them to keep the Lions running attack from dominating the game, but the Lions will have a balanced attack. I’m concerned play action figures to be effective against the Cards.

The Cards are also in big trouble when it comes to stopping the pass rush. This is a bad matchup. Hutchinson will require more than one blocker to stop. Left by himself, he’ll destroy Beachum. Fortunately the Cards have Reiman. He’s one of the best blocking TEs in the game, so they can double team Hutchinson. If he gets by the line, even Demercado will have trouble stopping him. He will likely still get 2 sacks and disrupt a few other plays, but he shouldn’t dominate the game. The Cards will have to roll out Murray and get the ball out quickly to put points on the board. It won’t be as easy as the first 2 weeks.

Still I don’t want to diminish the impact of Harrison. Added to the weapons the Cards already had, he makes everyone else more dangerous. Looking over those Cardinal weapons, the Cards running game is for real. The fact is the passing game is now so dangerous that teams can’t load up the box to contain Connor. Add in the most elusive QB in the league and containing this attack will challenge every team. The Lions’ pass rush will slow the Cards, but they’ll put points on the board.

Unfortunately I’m afraid the Cards’ defense is not good enough to fully contain the Lions. I think the Cards will make things tough on the Lions, but the Lions’ defense will will hold down the Cards enough to take the win. I’m guessing something like 27-24. On the other hand, if the Cards surprise and beat the Lions they must be considered a playoff contender. One thing is certain; this is a far better Cards’ team than last season.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Fold??

Who the hell even considers that in week frigging THREE!??

I fully expect Detroit to come out attacking and trying to exploit Beach...but he ain't cooked yet...and even in the Lambs game DP schemes Tip to his side to chip the rusher so Beach had an extra second to set up...don't count the old man out just yet, he just needed some reps to get his feet under him.
Honestly I hope Hutch pins his ears back in this game...the faster he gets off the line and into the arc, the faster JC can run right through his spot.
Detroit is solid. But they won't beat us scoring less than 30

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fold??

Who the hell even considers that in week frigging THREE!??

I fully expect Detroit to come out attacking and trying to exploit Beach...but he ain't cooked yet...and even in the Lambs game DP schemes Tip to his side to chip the rusher so Beach had an extra second to set up...don't count the old man out just yet, he just needed some reps to get his feet under him.
Honestly I hope Hutch pins his ears back in this game...the faster he gets off the line and into the arc, the faster JC can run right through his spot.
Detroit is solid. But they won't beat us scoring less than 30
That’s what I said. We need to score at least 30 pts.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I look at this game with a bit of hope. Should be a steel on steel kind of game, and win or lose, it should show where we're at, how far we've come, and how far left we have to go.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
A major surprise in the Rams’ game was how effectively the Cards controlled the run. Again I call your attention to the Rams’ O-line injuries. Like the Cards, Detroit loves to pull their linemen. This Lions team will block much better than the Rams’ line. Since the Cards rotate linemen, exhaustion should not be an issue. Still, the Cards’ linemen have struggled against experienced linemen. I expect them to keep the Lions running attack from dominating the game, but the Lions will have a balanced attack. I’m concerned play action figures to be effective against the Cards.

I agree this is a key match up Harry!

Cards will start Nichols, Lopez and Jones in the interior front seven, and rotate in Collier, Tonga and Stills (if he can go Sunday).

For LBs/EDGE, Zaven Collins and Mack Wilson have been very good against the run, so that leaves Gardek and K. White.

For whatever reason, it doesn't seem like Kyzer has gotten going yet, which is surprising since he was arguably our best player on defense before getting hurt last year. Maybe the effect of his injury is lingering, but we need him to play better on Sunday if we're going to keep the defensive momentum going. To me, he's the key player on defense vs. DET.

Gardeck is undersized at 6'0" and 232 (listed weight). That's 20 pounds lighter than Zaven for example, so maybe we could rotate in X. Thomas (if he can go) or V. Dimukeje on run downs.

Budda I guess will be the 8th player in the box if necessary. He can be counted on to make some plays against the DET running attack as well.

We're currently allowing 3.4 YPC to opposing rushers. If we maintain that vs. DET (a lot to ask I understand) we might win by 10 or 14 points. I think our offense will be explosive again at home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser