vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. Young Passrusher. Check.
2. Young CB. Check.
3. Differencemaker at WR or RB. Draft.
4. WR for Return duties. ?

DG did what he said. He added YOUNG quality FAs.

I did some more research on Macklin. Solid young CB. Was there a better CB available in his mid-20s? Berry was the best passrusher available and he is young.

Returners can be found it is not a huge priority a late round draft pick or FA. The important thing he is not going to let Boldin do it.

Now for the difference maker. I have a horrible feeling that SD and OAK are going to grab M Williams and Fitz. I wonder if that means DG gets the differencemaker on the D with Taylor, goes with fullproof Gallery or trades down and takes the best WR or RB. DG likes athletic guys and both Berry and Macklin are athletic types.

The other guys are primarily ST players. DG always had strong ST. He considers ST very important.

As for S King. His numbers are intriguing. And DG said something that goes beyond the numbers the kid is a winner. DG likes that.
After watching DG work miracles with QB after QB I will trust him on King he is far better judge of QBs then I am. Ditto on McNown.
DG always likes to have at #2 QB a guy who can come in and complete the season if the first guy can't. King has done that in the NFL. DG's #2 QB is not a developmental guy. His 3rd usually is that.

DG has a plan. He has actually carried out it really well so far!
Amazingly well. The man has a system and it succeeded in MIN. Let's see if it works here it might or it might not. Nothing in life is guaranteed. But at least the dude has a clue as to what works most times. I think guys who are panicing now or after a few losses in the season need to stay realistic. This was the worst team in the NFL on defense and offense. It won't happen overnight.

Last edited:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bought your Cardinal jersey yet Cardsfan?

It's going to happen.

OP
OP
V

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
Bought your Cardinal jersey yet Cardsfan?

It's going to happen.

I can never wear another team's colours. I will buy a Boldin McFarlane figure though. Drop buy his house and tell him to make one up.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by vikesfan
I can never wear another team's colours. I will buy a Boldin McFarlane figure though. Drop buy his house and tell him to make one up.

You will soon. Already confusing the two teams in your posts. :D

I'll even pay half of the jersey when you come to SDS for a home game. The koolaide has taken effect. Nothing you can do to save yourself now. :thumbup:

OP
OP
V

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
You will soon. Already confusing the two teams in your posts. :D

I'll even pay half of the jersey when you come to SDS for a home game. The koolaide has taken effect. Nothing you can do to save yourself now. :thumbup:

SHUT UP!

:doi: :cards: :bang: :shock:

This place is dangerous.

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
Green has done what he has said and planned.. that is great.. and he has already made everyone on the team thinking twice about playing half-ass..

He says Berry with be RDE.. but I hope that Johnson and Pace will fight for the LDE.. I dont think Wakefield is good enough to start.. us him on ther inside on passing downs.. with the speed of our LBS.. I would love to see a passing DL of
RDE:Berry
LDT: King
NT: Bell
RDT: Wakefeild/Bryant
RDE: Johnson

this line will get lots of push.. I hope that King develops and becomes a force.. I think he will be the most improved DL this season

Go Cards

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I want to know what "research " you did to find that Macklin was better,or as good, as Winfield.One played at pro bowl level and is the best tackler in the NFL and the other was 3rd CB on a mediocre Colts defensive team.Macklin will most likle start for the Cards but i can't really say that he's an upgrade over Barret.The good thing is that he's alot more cost-effective than Barrett.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got rid of my purple when I moved here from Minneapolis. Have not yet bought a Cardinal jersey.

IMO Macklin not as good as Winnfield but better than Barret.
Agree with Vikesfan on Denny's plan as its the same he implemented in Minnesota. Also think we will see some competition at the kicking postions. However, I don't recall him using draft choices on kickers. He will bring in some veterans and sign some undrafted rookies.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did some more research on Macklin. Solid young CB. Was there a better CB available in his mid-20s?
Yes, Winefield for one.

Berry was the best passrusher available and he is young.
Kearse is younger and better--even if you factor in an injury risk.

Don't get me wrong, I like the signings--love the signings. But, it's silly to say we got the best guys on the market.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Keeping in mind that at the endof the day, everyone has the same income to spend--

Philly, Washington, etc shopped at Saks Fifth Avenue

Arizona shopped at Target --

While the Saks group has much more name recognition, the difference in quality is small relative to the difference in price.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2. Young CB. Check.
4. WR for Return duties ? (________)
5. Second Starting CB_________
6. Marquis WR. Draft.
7. Stud NT. Draft.
8. Starting RG__________
9. Veteran Backup QB. Check
10. CB of Future. Draft

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Still to do in no particular order:

1. Clear no. 1 corner --- a healthy Starks, draft?

2. Right side offensive line -- motivated Clement? Reggie Wells? Draft? June 1 cut?

3. Inside disruptive defensive player-- Bryant? Kenny King? Draft?

4. Second wide out -- no. 3 pick. Bryant Johnson?

Clearly not everything needing fixing will be fixed. I sense the Cards are more or less done in free agency.

I think No. 4 is the easiest to fix, given that you have both Bryant Johnson and a likely high draft choice going into those slots.

No. 2 will come together as well, as I think that Clement will respond.

Nos 1 and 3 probably wont get fixed until 2005.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2. Young CB. Check.
4. WR for Return duties. ?

Differencemaker at WR, hmm let me think .... Q maybe ?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Join us VikesFan. Join us VikesFan. Join us CardsFan. Join us CardsFan....

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: DG Checklist & Plan

Originally posted by nidan
Differencemaker at WR, hmm let me think .... Q maybe ?

Don't rest on your laurels. He means a SECOND differencemaker at WR.

OP
OP
V

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Re: DG Checklist & Plan

Originally posted by Pariah
Yes, Winefield for one.

Kearse is younger and better--even if you factor in an injury risk.

Don't get me wrong, I like the signings--love the signings. But, it's silly to say we got the best guys on the market.

Check out my possible available commentary on another thread.

Bidwills' income means it was impossible to sign Winefield or Kearse.

Look at the Vikes same exact needs as Cards with Billionaire owner we sign Winefield sure and STILL no DE!

You get Macklin (check out his playoff stats) and Berry. You did better then us and we don't have the limited income factor AND we had way more cap then you.

I would rather have Macklin and Berry on my team then Winefield and the Invisible DE.

You likely would not have outbid the Vikes for Winefield even if you had the money which you don't (he went to the Vikes for 10 how much does he want to come here?) Impossible numbers.

The Cards are not in the position to spend their cap on older players in fact any team that does it is asking for trouble but especially a team who has as many holes as the Cards and are not a player or two away.

As for WR differencemaker. DG runs a 3 WR set which means he needs 2 differencemakers at WR not 1.

Last edited: