Did Doucet help or hurt himself tonight?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overall numbers were good, had a TD, but he had a bad drop in the first half that ended a drive, and he had the drop on the 2 point conversion too that essentially cost us the game. Not that I care about the outcome of course but you gotta make those plays if you want to get PT.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
His roster spot IMO was never in doubt. He is still down on the depth chart but could get alot of playing time on other rosters. Just not on a roster with 3 Wr with 1000 yds last season. He brings alot to the field thou and could get some time in 4 receiver sets. But I doubt it on this roster. I like him

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
His roster spot IMO was never in doubt. He is still down on the depth chart but could get alot of playing time on other rosters. Just not on a roster with 3 Wr with 1000 yds last season. He brings alot to the field thou and could get some time in 4 receiver sets. But I doubt it on this roster. I like him

I agree

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had two other drops as well as the two pointer. Pasch and Wolfley were talking about this and they thought he hurt himself more than helped. I have to agree. But, Lance Long didn't exactly seize the moment either. So, although I thought Doucet might've been in trouble last week, I've changed my mind and think he stays.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Doucet

He was inconsistent just like Lance Long and Jerheme Urban. Urban's fumble just brought back all the memories of why he is such a frustrating wide receiver. There are too many drops, too many fumbles, and too many interceptions when he is the target.

I would say that Early Doucet is no Anquan Boldin for sure. Every day that passes makes the decision NOT to trade Q the right one IMO. Now pay the man!

The guy that really, really helped himself was Sean Morey. He actually took a hit and held on to the ball. He is the #5 wide receiver with Long and Doucet battling for #6.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The penalty might have hurt his cause more than anything else. Senseless.

I agree with the pro-Morey sentiment, too. He's painfully slow, but the guy is a solid football player.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy that really, really helped himself was Sean Morey. He actually took a hit and held on to the ball. He is the #5 wide receiver with Long and Doucet battling for #6.

I agree with this. Sean Morey showed much more last night that he is a legit 2nd string WR in addition to his pro-bowl play on special teams. He is safe.

And while Doucet was inconsistent at times, he played well enough for the #6.

Lance Long did not help his case. The top 6 WRs are set, IMHO.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMO, Doucett makes the team, but unless there is an injury, he won't see the active list. To be fair, because of injuries he hasn't practiced or played very much, and I'm sure that contributed to his drops. He'll get a lot of PT in the last PS game.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
I don't get the Lance Long love. He's a nice story, but he's not making this team. Looked terrible on punt return as well, couldn't catch the ball cleanly. Did a nice job getting his feet on on the reviewed TD, but didn't hold the ball going to the ground. Early was certainly up and down, but with his higher draft status, and the fact that he has battled injuries, he will be the 5th/6th WR along with Morey - who played excellently. Morey is an acceptable 6th WR, and his special teams play his is a no-brainer. Urban is 4, though he can be inconsistent as well. I actually think Onrea Jones has a better shot than Long. He made a beautiful catch on the two minute drive, ball behind him over the middle, plus the TD. He also looked good with Palco in the Pittsburgh game.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Although he may not have helped his case I think he played better then Long who also had 2 drops and little else impact.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. Sean Morey showed much more last night that he is a legit 2nd string WR in addition to his pro-bowl play on special teams. He is safe.

And while Doucet was inconsistent at times, he played well enough for the #6.

Lance Long did not help his case. The top 6 WRs are set, IMHO.

I agree. There isn't really a comp between Doucet and Long, IMO. Long sealed that too with the dropped punt. That was his last shot of making the roster, IMO, as a PR kind of guy but you can't drop the ball there. That dooms him, IMO.

Doucet had a good game despite the drops. JONES had a good game, and he's got really good hands, too. I'd keep him over Long, head to head, in a heartbeat.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What did Doucet do for that personal foul penalty? They didn't show it on the TV.

I thought he was inconsistent but I think the talent is there, he just needs to play a little more but unfortunately that won't happen on this team unless he beats out Urban.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see the game, but with all the time his missed this year and last, I would expect inconsistencies in his game. I imagine the coaches would, too.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am concerned about his hands but I still believe he makes the team. One guy I really like is Jones but he really doesn't have a chance.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Doucet showed enough to stick --not enough yet to really force the coaches to find a way to get him on the field

Long isnt the answer. I didnt see anything that suggest he is better than Doucet.

I had been encouraged by the reports about Urban having the best camp of all -- last night you sure couldnt tell as we got the same Urban we have seen: inconsistent hands and almost no ability to come up with a contested ball.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Let's put it this way: Doucet did enough to stay on the team (with Long not doing anything to stay on the team), but I'll be super-upset if Doucet sees the field in any kind of meaningful action. You can make excuses for a lot of mistakes because of his lack of playing time and experience, but there is never an excuse for a WR to drop the ball, especially multiple times. NEVER.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I believe that the difference between Lance Long and Doucet is purely potential. Early has played as well as Lance Long this preseason, but has also flashed potential that Long hasn't. For a team that is building depth and talent, I would rather have an inconsistent player with potential as my number 5 WR than a guy who has played his best just to compete for the 5th spot.

Tim

Reaction score
Early Doucet looks like Bryant Johnson 2.0 - right down to the number. He has all the physical tools to go along with the skillet hands.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Early Doucet looks like Bryant Johnson 2.0 - right down to the number. He has all the physical tools to go along with the skillet hands.

At least he's a third-rounder instead of a first.

If Long had shown anything the #6 WR would be a tough decision.

Neither Long or Doucet brings anything to special teams that I can see. (Long's fumbled PR was ugly.) In addition, Doucet has not shown an ability to stay healthy and his inopportune personal foul Friday night was troubling. I'm not sure if the PF shows a lack of discipline or just plain stupidity. But you can't do that when your job is on the line.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
All I know is that Wiz is very upset with the WR depth that showed up last night and made a pretty scathing comments about the group.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/61532

"As Whisenhunt noted, however, several receivers had the chance to "step up" and didn't."

Also as Somers notes, Morey probably outplayed both of the young guys.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Every receiver has some drops. Urban had a couple as well last night. Doucet makes the team as the #5 while Morey keeps Long off the roster.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
In addition, Doucet has not shown an ability to stay healthy and his inopportune personal foul Friday night was troubling.

Although I think Doucet makes it he has to be able to stay on the field. Potential is great but it doesn't much help when your unavailable.

He makes it this year but he has to stay healthy to stay in the mix or next year he might be vulnerable.