Did Doucet help or hurt himself tonight?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our Backup WRs looked like backup WRs. Too many mistakes, especially from Doucet. Still I'm happy with what I believe still is our deepest position.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
He was inconsistent just like Lance Long and Jerheme Urban. Urban's fumble just brought back all the memories of why he is such a frustrating wide receiver. There are too many drops, too many fumbles, and too many interceptions when he is the target.

I would say that Early Doucet is no Anquan Boldin for sure. Every day that passes makes the decision NOT to trade Q the right one IMO. Now pay the man!

The guy that really, really helped himself was Sean Morey. He actually took a hit and held on to the ball. He is the #5 wide receiver with Long and Doucet battling for #6.

I echo these thoughts as well.

Unfortunately I am not as excited about this competition of who sucks the least.

As for the question at hand, Doucet hurt his cause.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
It may come down to who can contribute most on special teams. I think we are splitting hairs when it comes to what Long, Doucet, and Jones offers at the WR position.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may come down to who can contribute most on special teams. I think we are splitting hairs when it comes to what Long, Doucet, and Jones offers at the WR position.

I don't. I keep Doucet, Jones, Long in that order. Early did have one big drop. The defense on the 2 point conversion was great. Fitz probably makes that catch, but I could see him missing it too. Hard to catch a ball when someone is hitting your arm at the same time.

Long, as much of a feel good story he is, isn't good enough to make this Cardinals team. He might have made the team 3 or 4 years ago, but not today.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the question at hand, Doucet hurt his cause.

Depends on which question.

If the question 'Is Doucet going to make the team' then the answer is yes.

If the question 'Did Doucet step up and make the most out of a big opportunity to be the #4 WR' then the answer is no.

Doucet will make the team. He will be the #5 receiver on the depth chart. He might have lost his chance to move up higher unless he excels on Friday.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's easy to let the sucky plays obliterate your memory of the good ones. I re-watched the 2nd half. Both Urban and Doucet made a bunch of good plays.

Doucet, in particular, looked almost Boldin-like when he plowed across the goal line. And if it's true he was issuing payback for the hit on LSH - "Don't do it again, Early! (heh heh heh)."

Long did not have a particularly stellar game overall.

One thing unsettles me - While Onrea Jones only went 2 for 4, it seems as if every time he's called on to make a play (unlike Jereheme and Early) he always makes it. He's likely to be most expendible of the contenders, but I really don't want to let this guy go.

Finally, the lack of consistency among Doucet and Urban makes it all the more necessary to keep an extra "money-in-the-bank" wideout (Sean Morey).

We have to hope that both Urban's and Doucet's lapses weren't "chronic" and those deficiencies can be cleaned up thru extra work. I think they can.

My guess is: We'll keep 6 - Fitz, Q, Breaston, Urban, Doucet and Morey - with Onrea Jones a remote possibility if we were to keep 7. (Odd guys out - on IR, PS or KC) figure to be Garvin and Long - unless something earth shattering happens Thursday night.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My guess is: We'll keep 6 - Fitz, Q, Breaston, Urban, Doucet and Morey - with Onrea Jones a remote possibility if we were to keep 7. (Odd guys out - on IR, PS or KC) figure to be Garvin and Long - unless something earth shattering happens Thursday night.

That's exactly how I see the WR's going down. Onrea doesn't make it, but should be able to sneak onto the practice squad for one more year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't. I keep Doucet, Jones, Long in that order. Early did have one big drop. The defense on the 2 point conversion was great. Fitz probably makes that catch, but I could see him missing it too. Hard to catch a ball when someone is hitting your arm at the same time.

Long, as much of a feel good story he is, isn't good enough to make this Cardinals team. He might have made the team 3 or 4 years ago, but not today.

Long was on the team several years ago disguised as a friendly ghost.

Onrea Jones and DByrd are two guys who should be on the team but probably won't even though lesser skilled players stay. But that's life in the NFL.

I like those two guys because they play tough and imo the Cards need more. We have plenty of finesse guys.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long was on the team several years ago disguised as a friendly ghost.

Onrea Jones and DByrd are two guys who should be on the team but probably won't even though lesser skilled players stay. But that's life in the NFL.

I like those two guys because they play tough and imo the Cards need more. We have plenty of finesse guys.

I remember Long. He was a Cinderella pick then too. :D

Onrea might be one of the hardest picks to let go. I like what he can do.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Doucet didn't do as much to help his cause as Lance Long's failure to capitalize did. If one of them goes, I think it will be Long.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doucet didn't do as much to help his cause as Lance Long's failure to capitalize did. If one of them goes, I think it will be Long.

I just can't see who we cut to keep Long. We aren't going to cut a special team's probowl'r so this marginally roster worthy player can make the team.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think he will. The 2 point conversion was dropped imo because of how he misplayed the pass.

If I remember correctly he hesitated for a moment right before lunging for it. (had he not hesitated, the ball wouldn't of been off his fingertips, but a rather catch-able pass)

Which of course doesn't mean that him making THAT mistakes HELPS his cause. I just feel at that stage, a drop on a fade route that he lunged for won't be what makes/breaks his cause.

But heck, we have so many NFL caliber receivers currently on the roster, who knows what the metric will eventually be to decide on some of these guys.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Right now I'd have to say that Early is in a position with the injury where he can't help himself, but he can be hurt if Lance Long or Onrea Jones step up big time against the Broncos. If neither has an outstanding game at Denver, Whis probably hangs on to the injury-prone guy with potential in the hope that he'll somehow find a way to stay healthy. But if Long returns a punt for a TD, or Jones catches two TD passes and has 150 yards receiving, all bets are off.