Diogu's time to turn pro is probably now

Reaction score
Original Article

John Gambadoro

Special for azcentral.com
May. 20, 2005 09:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Looks like Ike Diogu is a lock to be a first-round draft pick, taken somewhere between the 16th and 25th pick depending on who you talk to. And word is, his stock cannot get better. And that he can only hurt himself by coming back to Arizona State, which is why he's leaning toward coming out.

Although no decision has been made yet, Diogu would be one of the few big men in the draft who play a power game. The European big men coming in are all jump shooters. By going back to an awful situation at ASU, Diogu may hurt his stock - like Lawrence Roberts of Mississippi State did - by staying in school too long. Roberts would have been a first-round pick last year but will likely be a second-round pick this year after coming back for his senior year and giving the scouts more chances to pick apart his game.
You must be registered for see images

The Sun Devils do not have much talent to surround Diogu with and in college he is forced to play with his back to the basket. In the pros, he will play facing the basket and the sooner he makes the adjustment the better. Diogu does not have representation yet, but don't be surprised if Arn Tellem of SFX or Bill Duffy of BDA sports makes a run at him and convinces him that the time to come out is now...

Looks like Steve Kerr has his eyes on replacing Lute Olson down the road as the head man for the Wildcats. The Chicago Sun Times interviewed Kerr this week and though he said he would prefer to coach in the NBA he also said, "If the Arizona job ever became a possibility for me, I'd have to consider it. I love Tucson and I love the University."...

There are 108 early entry candidates for the NBA draft and only 60 picks in the draft. Of those early candidates, 35 are international players and 73 are from the United States, including 12 from high school...

So much has been said about Steve Nash facing his former team in the playoffs. But what about Jimmy Jackson? The Suns' other JJ was drafted by the Mavericks and part of the J trio that included Jason Kidd and Jamal Mashburn. The three were supposed to carry the Mavs to prominence, but it never worked out. So Jackson wants to beat his former team just as much as Nash does...

Charles Barkley's consistent Suns bashing has nothing to do with him being opinionated and everything to do with him being jealous. Barkley owned this town after he took the Suns to the Finals in 1993 and he knows that if this team wins a championship then it takes something away from his accomplishments. He doesn't want this Suns team to overshadow what he did. I'd ask him to please put his foot in his mouth when talk of the Suns come up, but he'd probably eat it. It's a shame Jerry Colangelo gave in and put him in the Ring of Honor. [/font]

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
lancelet's cousin said:
Original Article

John Gambadoro
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Charles Barkley's consistent Suns bashing has nothing to do with him being opinionated and everything to do with him being jealous. Barkley owned this town after he took the Suns to the Finals in 1993 and he knows that if this team wins a championship then it takes something away from his accomplishments. He doesn't want this Suns team to overshadow what he did. I'd ask him to please put his foot in his mouth when talk of the Suns come up, but he'd probably eat it. It's a shame Jerry Colangelo gave in and put him in the Ring of Honor. [/font]

LoL, sounds like sour grapes between Gambo and Barkley. He is right, though, that Barkley seems jealous of the Suns' success.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DeAnna said:
LoL, sounds like sour grapes between Gambo and Barkley. He is right, though, that Barkley seems jealous of the Suns' success.

I disagree. he said a halftime of the last game that he is pulling for the Suns, but calls it like he sees it and up to that point he was right.

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
The whole time I've heard Barkley it seems as though he is rooting for the Suns to win, but when he trys to be objective the doesn't think they will.

Kinda like me with the Pacers series. I wanted the Pacers to win, but as a betting man, there was no way I would have put money on them...

sunsfn

Reaction score
Barkley may be helping to motivate Amare with his comments about his play and rebounding.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
clif said:
I disagree. he said a halftime of the last game that he is pulling for the Suns, but calls it like he sees it and up to that point he was right.

Sometimes Barkley's analysis is interesting other times it seems like he's just making crap up to stir the pot.

I've noticed his tendency to be overly critcal of the Suns too but I think its his tuff guy persona that contributes to it more than anything else. He doesn't want to praise a "soft" team.

frankiekazoo

Reaction score
"don't question it, just go with it."

Okay Ouchie i'll go with it. D fu*kin B!

(I just hate feeling like the cool kids know something and i'm not cool enough to know :p)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
frankiekazoo said:
(I just hate feeling like the cool kids know something and i'm not cool enough to know :p)

But you should know from experience that what they know is rarely ever cool at all.

frankiekazoo

Reaction score
yeah but it's still fun to keep the others guessing. Unless it really is that cool and you aren't cool enough to know heh heh. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Doesn't make much sense for Ike to go back to school unless a degree is a huge goal for him.

DB