Disgruntled star watch

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-su...mpaign=nba-am-suns-looking-to-trade-for-stars

McDonough's comments here are refreshingly candid. Its what we all knew they should do, and have done, but rarely does anyone talk about it so plainly. Take all those draft picks and try to get lucky in the draft, or use them to package for a star player who wants out of his present situation (ala Charles Barkley, Kevin Garnett, Gasol, Carmelo, etc).

While no one is exactly in that category yet, it seemed good to have a thread that can talk about the possibilities as they come up. To me, here are some potential candidates:

1. Eric Gordon. He has already expressed he wants to be here, and relations with the Pels seem strained.

2. LaMarcus Alderidge. There already have been rumblings about his wanting to move.

3. Rajon Rondo. I don't know if I categorize him as a star, and I don't want him here, but he could change teams.

4. Kobe Bryant. If Steve Nash goes down and the Lakers go south, I can see the Lakers going into full tank mode. I don't want Kobe, he is just too old for any plans we might have.

5. Kevin Love. Yep. That is the one everyone is after. He is a great rebounder, but for a pf shoots a high volume of shots without a very high percentage.

This discussion will end up focusing on who reaches the level of "star" and who might realistically be available.

Well. That's enough to get things started.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. Eric Gordon. He has already expressed he wants to be here, and relations with the Pels seem strained.
Not eligible to be traded to Phoenix for the duration of his contract. And that's probably a good thing, too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uggh, what a list. Aldridge is the clear winner with Love being the only other player I'd consider.

Steve

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not eligible to be traded to Phoenix for the duration of his contract. And that's probably a good thing, too.

Really? I thought it was only a year. Am I reading this right?

This is from Larry Coon:

If a team matches an offer sheet and retains its free agent, then for one year they cannot trade him without his consent, and during that year cannot trade him at all to the team that signed him to the offer sheet. They also can't trade the player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 89). A restricted free agent's resulting contract (whether with the new team or the contract is matched by the player's prior team) cannot be amended in any manner for one year.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q43

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

No kidding. Can we PLEASE stop talking about Eric Gordon? We've already dodged that bullet once, McD is certainly not as stupid as Blanks.

Rondo is definitely a star, but his attitude issues scare me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we PLEASE stop talking about Eric Gordon? We've already dodged that bullet once, McD is certainly not as stupid as Blanks.

I think Bledsoe's presence pretty much takes care of that.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Rondo is definitely a star

I'm not so sure. We'll see what happens when he doesn't have star teammates to hide his liabilities.

Aldridge would be great, and at 28, he should have several good years left. But if he goes on the market, I don't see the Suns as being competitive. Someone will be able to offer quality young talent that surpasses anything the Suns have, aside from their 2014 pick, which we can assume they won't part with.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. We'll see what happens when he doesn't have star teammates to hide his liabilities.

Aldridge would be great, and at 28, he should have several good years left. But if he goes on the market, I don't see the Suns as being competitive. Someone will be able to quality young talent that surpasses anything the Suns have, aside from their 2014 pick, which we can assume they won't part with.

Rondo's issue is he's moody and doesn't always play 100%. When he's focused and on, he's definitely a star, but I'd be extremely leery of building around him.

Choosing between Love and Aldridge would be tough, but I'd probably take Love, as he is younger and not yet in his prime years, so a better candidate to grow with the rest of our roster.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Really? I thought it was only a year. Am I reading this right?

This is from Larry Coon:

If a team matches an offer sheet and retains its free agent, then for one year they cannot trade him without his consent, and during that year cannot trade him at all to the team that signed him to the offer sheet. They also can't trade the player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 89). A restricted free agent's resulting contract (whether with the new team or the contract is matched by the player's prior team) cannot be amended in any manner for one year.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q43
Interesting. I remember reading last summer that it was for the duration of contract. But perhaps that was misinformation. I guess the door is still open, but I think the Suns had moved on. Best opportunity to pick up a star wing player will be next year's draft.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I can see Cousins being on this list soon. I wouldn't mind trading for a good PF or SF, unless they can get one of the top picks next year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see Cousins being on this list soon. I wouldn't mind trading for a good PF or SF, unless they can get one of the top picks next year.

I just flashed on the possibility of adding Cousins and trading for Rondo. The trio of Rondo, Cousins and Beasley would be something special. I bet coaches would be standing in line for a chance to work with that group.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we edit Eric Gordon off of the "star" list... I think the rest of the guys there are mildly offended.

And I might be alone on this one, but Aldridge just does not do it for me... a big who does not defend and relies almost exclusively on the mid-range game. Reminds me of Amare... minus the ability to attack the rim.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This sounds familiar. Sounds like McD and I share an agent ;)

Aldridge is the most likely. Love is who I want the most. The hate for Love is crazy. Top 3 PF easy. Rebounding machine and literally the best big you could have on a running team with the way he outlets the ball.

Love me some Love

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Aldridge is the most likely. Love is who I want the most. The hate for Love is crazy. Top 3 PF easy. Rebounding machine and literally the best big you could have on a running team with the way he outlets the ball.

Love me some Love

Agreed with all of this. NBA is a star league, something our previous GM never learned. Although the Len pick scares me, and I would probably have taken a chance on Noel, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt as the rest of his moves are pretty much exactly what I'd do.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I just flashed on the possibility of adding Cousins and trading for Rondo. The trio of Rondo, Cousins and Beasley would be something special. I bet coaches would be standing in line for a chance to work with that group.

Steve

this is a joke.....right?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kevin Durant apparently isn't too happy in OKC either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be a disgruntled star. It could be a team that realizes that they are not going to make it to the next level and decides it is better to trade a star player early for maximum value. Or it can be a team that already will have a high payroll and does not have enough money to keep all their star (key) players. I believe Harden fell in this category.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Harrison Barnes could be another possibility if they think Bogut won't last the whole season (which he usually doesn't)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Love me some Love

IF...and this is a big IF....if the Suns are going to use him as a PF. They would probably shoehorn him in as our starting Center with this teams track record. Either that or they would trade Gortat, Len would be physically unable to perform and he would end up as our Center.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
To anyone who thinks Love isn't a star. In the 2011-12 season he was 5th in the league in PER and 1st amongst PFs. He was also 4th in the league in WS that year.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aldridge doesn't fit Hornacek's style.

Horny probably looks at Love and sees Tom Chambers without the athleticism.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Aldridge doesn't fit Hornacek's style.

I hope Hornacek isn't this stupid. Your style should fit your best players, not the other way around. There may be plenty of good reasons not to go after Aldridge if the possibility is there, but saying that he's incompatible with the "style" of a 25-win team isn't one of them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake